Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Visit to Medical Card Processing Unit Finglas

Headline on RTE News today
    The Joint Oireachtas Committee on Health and Children has visited the HSE's medical card centre in Finglas, Dublin.

Anybody else think this visit should have been a suprise visit. Or better still have an auditor go in unannounced instead of a bus load of Oireachtas members?

A delegation from the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Health and Children is to visit the Health Service Executive's medical card centre in Finglas, Dublin.

It follows severe criticism over delays in processing applications, renewals and claims that some documents submitted by patients have been lost.

Committee chairman Jerry Buttimer has said that some people have waited up to nine months for their medical card.

The group wants to see at first-hand the processing system.

Recently the HSE deployed an extra 20 staff to the office which now has 150 staff.

Minister of State Roisin Shorthall who has responsibility for the area said last week that people waiting to get their card renewed can use their old cards while waiting.

The centralised processing system was introduced last year by the HSE to make the system more efficient.

Originally posted by Ballinamoe View Post
    The Joint Oireachtas Committee on Health and Children has visited the HSE's medical card centre in Finglas, Dublin.

Anybody else think this visit should have been a suprise visit. Or better still have an auditor go in unannounced instead of a bus load of Oireachtas members?

A delegation from the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Health and Children is to visit the Health Service Executive's medical card centre in Finglas, Dublin.

It follows severe criticism over delays in processing applications, renewals and claims that some documents submitted by patients have been lost.

Committee chairman Jerry Buttimer has said that some people have waited up to nine months for their medical card.

Recently the HSE deployed an extra 20 staff to the office which now has 150 staff.

Minister of State Roisin Shorthall who has responsibility for the area said last week that people waiting to get their card renewed can use their old cards while waiting.

The centralised processing system was introduced last year by the HSE to make the system more efficient.

government + efficient = hilarious
    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

It reminds me of years ago when a government minister or even the minister for defence was coming to visit one of the barracks. Normally at meal time we'd have one large kettle/teapot in the middle of a long table with benches each side... a saucer of butter... shared by all at the table.... and the food was often as hard to look at as to eat.

However... while the VIP was present each man had his own small teapot, a white table sheet of some kind covered the bare boards of the table, each man had two small side plates with his own butter, and even marmalade (breakfast I'm talking about)..... well you get the idea.

I wonder what changes the ordinary staff in the medical card centre in Finglas will see while the mob from Leinster House are visiting.... and after the mob have left will everything go back to normal as it did in my early experience with visiting VIPs.
      'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Originally posted by Rashers View Post
        It reminds me of years ago when a government minister or even the minister for defence was coming to visit one of the barracks. Normally at meal time we'd have one large kettle/teapot in the middle of a long table with benches each side... a saucer of butter... shared by all at the table.... and the food was often as hard to look at as to eat.

However... while the VIP was present each man had his own small teapot, a white table sheet of some kind covered the bare boards of the table, each man had two small side plates with his own butter, and even marmalade (breakfast I'm talking about)..... well you get the idea.

I wonder what changes the ordinary staff in the medical card centre in Finglas will see while the mob from Leinster House are visiting.... and after the mob have left will everything go back to normal as it did in my early experience with visiting VIPs.
        Me sis works for the HSE and they have phone lines for the Public another line for Public representatives and one for HSE personel.
        Ye can guess which ones get answered quicker.

Comment

It made it worse, they haven't a clue what they are doing over in Finglas, and they can't cope with the amount of applications.
          It's nice to be important, but it is more important to be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie View Post
            It made it worse, they haven't a clue what they are doing over in Finglas, and they can't cope with the amount of applications.
            yes....the personal mobile phones.....
            Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

can anyone explain the criteria for 'getting' a medical card, the reason i ask is my sister and her husband [who is an old age pensioner] had their medical card taken off them late last year,neither of them work so it can`t be income related unless the old age pension is deemed too much per week. they did appeal but were knocked back again.
              in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmo View Post
                can anyone explain the criteria for 'getting' a medical card, the reason i ask is my sister and her husband [who is an old age pensioner] had their medical card taken off them late last year,neither of them work so it can`t be income related unless the old age pension is deemed too much per week. they did appeal but were knocked back again.
                Cant be right Cosmo,
                Sister deals with all that sort of thing. I will ask her this evening what would be the critera for withdrawl.

Comment

Over the past 12 months Medical Cards have not been renewed on an ad hoc basis! The term "medical card" which indicates a medical need is no longer the only criteria. It appears that they are reducing figures by cutting and if the person does not appeal the cut then thats one less on card. Also, if you do not use the card enough! There are thousands upon thousands of people in this country who for various reasons are permanently incapacitated and entitled to free health care. Presently when renewing they have to fill in and apply as though first time, surely common sense should dictate that these renewals could be fast tracked thus saving countless man hours in processing and stress and anxiety for the supplicant.
                  I spoke with someone the other day who applied last July and still not approved/rejected! This person had kidney failure, on state pension, and on expensive meds, she has been told that she will probably only get Doctor only card which is worth F A to her. If she hospitalised she will pay €75 per night for her bed.

Comment

Originally posted by Womblemum View Post
                    Over the past 12 months Medical Cards have not been renewed on an ad hoc basis! The term "medical card" which indicates a medical need is no longer the only criteria. It appears that they are reducing figures by cutting and if the person does not appeal the cut then thats one less on card. Also, if you do not use the card enough! There are thousands upon thousands of people in this country who for various reasons are permanently incapacitated and entitled to free health care. Presently when renewing they have to fill in and apply as though first time, surely common sense should dictate that these renewals could be fast tracked thus saving countless man hours in processing and stress and anxiety for the supplicant.
                    I spoke with someone the other day who applied last July and still not approved/rejected! This person had kidney failure, on state pension, and on expensive meds, she has been told that she will probably only get Doctor only card which is worth F A to her. If she hospitalised she will pay €75 per night for her bed.
                    And when it hits the headlines that a person has died as a result of this neglect, there will be much gnashing of teeth and the local politians will line up at the funeral and say its terrible and we are trying hard to solve it but the fact is they are to blame as legislators. Fianna Fail, Fine Gael, Labour, the whole lot.

Comment

And when it hits the headlines that a person has died as a result of this neglect, there will be much gnashing of teeth and the local politians will line up at the funeral and say its terrible and we are trying hard to solve it but the fact is they are to blame as legislators. Fianna Fail, Fine Gael, Labour, the whole lot.
                      exactly Moe and it is people who are involved in their communities are the ones constantly seeing the effects of these actions on real people!

Comment

Working...
                      X