No announcement yet.

It must have been a terrible childhood.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It must have been a terrible childhood.

I grew up in Dublin in the 50's and by all accounts I had the worst childhood ever imagined. It was a catholic childhood. I had to go to school and not only learn all the usual subjects, but religon as well. Why I had to learn my catechism, and all my prayers. Then when the time came i had to make my first Communion. Even worse was to follow my Confo. then there was mass on Sunday, enough already. we were taught the ten commandments, crazy stuff, like honour your mother and father, don't steal, that wasn't hard as not many people had anything to steal, except apples from the orchard. That led to confession, I thought if I gave the priest a few I'd be ok.

I could have lived in USSR and shure the state would have looked after me, all I would have to do is know and love Stalin & Karl Marx, and salute their pictures. then I could have been fancy free living my days in the sun in Africa. Or in China holding Chairman Mao's red book and knowing it back to front, and wearing a lovely uniform. great quotes like " power comes from the barrel of a gun " etc. What a brilliant mind.

But no there I was in Dublin growing up in a big family and lots of friends and relations. How was I to know that some people didn't go to mass on Sundays and didn't end up in hell. I was deceived, I tell you.
    today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

I agree with you SP.I grew up in Crumlin in the 40/50s and life was far from easy. Sometimes we didn't even know where our next meal was comming from and still the CBS wanted money for the "black babies" and the church wanted their weekly collection. They looked down on you if you had no money to give and sent out the annual collection envelopes to all the faithful and on Sunday would read out the names. Mr so and so 2.6d Mrs Gibbon 1 shilling and the so and so family 6d. They went out of their way to humiliate poor people who could only afford a few pennys.

On top of that the sadistic bastards at the CBS would render out unbelievable punishment just for the sheer joy of it. The happiest day of my life was when I left school at 14 and went to work for Mr C J Cremen MPSI in Meath Street for 25shillings a week. I was able to give my long suffering Mother £1 a week for my keep and you should have seen the look of joy on her face just to get that. My grand children still won't believe me when I tell them what we went through.
    I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
    Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

Originally posted by jembo View Post
      I agree with you SP.I grew up in Crumlin in the 40/50s and life was far from easy. Sometimes we didn't even know where our next meal was comming from and still the CBS wanted money for the "black babies" and the church wanted their weekly collection. They looked down on you if you had no money to give and sent out the annual collection envelopes to all the faithful and on Sunday would read out the names. Mr so and so 2.6d Mrs Gibbon 1 shilling and the so and so family 6d. They went out of their way to humiliate poor people who could only afford a few pennys.

On top of that the sadistic bastards at the CBS would render out unbelievable punishment just for the sheer joy of it. The happiest day of my life was when I left school at 14 and went to work for Mr C J Cremen MPSI in Meath Street for 25shillings a week. I was able to give my long suffering Mother £1 a week for my keep and you should have seen the look of joy on her face just to get that. My grand children still won't believe me when I tell them what we went through.

was ireland worse than any other countries.....with regard to the catholic religeon........
      Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
        was ireland worse than any other countries.....with regard to the catholic religeon........
        No,the crimes commited by members of the priesthood and christian brothers of the catholic church are worldwide.

Comment

No,the crimes commited by members of the priesthood and christian brothers of the catholic church are worldwide.
          jembo....in my opinion, the church has not learnt a lesson.....

was poverty in ireland worse than in any other western countries...????

Comment

jembo....in my opinion, the church has not learnt a lesson.....

was poverty in ireland worse than in any other western countries...????
            Ah,that's a tough question to answer quinner, we only had radio in those days and nine times out of ten we could not affort to have the battery charged. We never knew what was going on in other countries. No TV,no rolling news , no telephones/mobiles and we knew practically nothing about other countries. "far away places with the strange sounding names".

Comment

Ah,that's a tough question to answer quinner, we only had radio in those days and nine times out of ten we could not affort to have the battery charged. We never knew what was going on in other countries. No TV,no rolling news , no telephones/mobiles and we knew practically nothing about other countries. "far away places with the strange sounding names".
              jembo, we moved to southampton in 1956....there was a lot of devastation there because of the bombing in the war.....but as far as i can remember, there was similar poverty there...i just found there was a different outlook...

of course that is only the observation of an 11 year old boy.....who lived in a particular area of southampton.........

Comment

Jembo that was meant to be a bit of sarcasm, all tongue in cheek. I was saying that for all our " complaints " about having to learn prayers, we had it good, compared to so many other poor souls all over the world. Jembo you were rich with that amount of money. I was earning 2 pounds 10 bob when I was two or three years into my jewellry apprentiship in the 60's.
                today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Comment

jembo, we moved to southampton in 1956....there was a lot of devastation there because of the bombing in the war.....but as far as i can remember, there was similar poverty there...i just found there was a different outlook...

of course that is only the observation of an 11 year old boy.....who lived in a particular area of southampton.........

of course i see poverty in dublin, i was a big part of it.....but my observations of dublin...was a rich city....with a lot of people having no part in those riches.......

i clealy remember thinking...when they started collecting toys for christmas in the caravan at the dame street end of georges street.......who are these toys for......surely there was nobody poorer than us. we only got a few penny things from the iveagh market.......we were not offered any of those toys....i was a bit baffled...

Comment

of course i see poverty in dublin, i was a big part of it.....but my observations of dublin...was a rich city....with a lot of people having no part in those riches.......

i clealy remember thinking...when they started collecting toys for christmas in the caravan at the dame street end of georges street.......who are these toys for......surely there was nobody poorer than us. we only got a few penny things from the iveagh market.......we were not offered any of those toys....i was a bit baffled...
                    We were lucky if we got a game of ludo or snakes and ladders for christmas, courtesy of Hector Gray,nicked of course.

Comment

Originally posted by silver spoon View Post
                      Jembo that was meant to be a bit of sarcasm, all tongue in cheek. I was saying that for all our " complaints " about having to learn prayers, we had it good, compared to so many other poor souls all over the world. Jembo you were rich with that amount of money. I was earning 2 pounds 10 bob when I was two or three years into my jewellry apprentiship in the 60's.
                      Thanks for that SP.You certainly re-lit the the candle with that one.

Comment

Yorkshire men crying poverty

The Scene:
                        Four well-dressed men are sitting together at a vacation resort.
                        'Farewell to Thee' is played in the background on Hawaiian guitar.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
                        Aye, very passable, that, very passable bit of risotto.
                        SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
                        Nothing like a good glass of Château de Chasselas, eh, Josiah?
                        THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
                        You're right there, Obadiah.
                        FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
                        Who'd have thought thirty year ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Château de Chasselas, eh?
                        FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
                        In them days we was glad to have the price of a cup o' tea.
                        SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
                        A cup o' cold tea.
                        FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
                        Without milk or sugar.
                        THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
                        Or tea.
                        FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
                        In a cracked cup, an' all.
                        FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
                        Oh, we never had a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper.
                        SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
                        The best we could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.
                        THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
                        But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.
                        FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
                        Because we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me, "Money doesn't buy you happiness, son".
                        FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
                        Aye, 'e was right.
                        FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
                        Aye, 'e was.
                        FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
                        I was happier then and I had nothin'. We used to live in this tiny old house with great big holes in the roof.
                        SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
                        House! You were lucky to live in a house! We used to live in one room, all twenty-six of us, no furniture, 'alf the floor was missing, and we were all 'uddled together in one corner for fear of falling.
                        THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
                        Eh, you were lucky to have a room! We used to have to live in t' corridor!
                        FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
                        Oh, we used to dream of livin' in a corridor! Would ha' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woke up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House? Huh.
                        FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
                        Well, when I say 'house' it was only a hole in the ground covered by a sheet of tarpaulin, but it was a house to us.
                        SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
                        We were evicted from our 'ole in the ground; we 'ad to go and live in a lake.
                        THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
                        You were lucky to have a lake! There were a hundred and fifty of us living in t' shoebox in t' middle o' road.
                        FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
                        Cardboard box?
                        THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
                        Aye.
                        FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
                        You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.
                        SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
                        Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of 'ot gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!
                        THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
                        Well, of course, we had it tough. We used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wit' bread knife.
                        FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
                        Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.
                        FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
                        And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.
                        ALL:
                        They won't!

Comment

Originally posted by bojangles View Post
                          The Scene:
                          Four well-dressed men are sitting together at a vacation resort.
                          'Farewell to Thee' is played in the background on Hawaiian guitar.

FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
                          Aye, very passable, that, very passable bit of risotto.
                          SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
                          Nothing like a good glass of Château de Chasselas, eh, Josiah?
                          THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
                          You're right there, Obadiah.
                          FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
                          Who'd have thought thirty year ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Château de Chasselas, eh?
                          FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
                          In them days we was glad to have the price of a cup o' tea.
                          SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
                          A cup o' cold tea.
                          FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
                          Without milk or sugar.
                          THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
                          Or tea.
                          FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
                          In a cracked cup, an' all.
                          FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
                          Oh, we never had a cup. We used to have to drink out of a rolled up newspaper.
                          SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
                          The best we could manage was to suck on a piece of damp cloth.
                          THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
                          But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were poor.
                          FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
                          Because we were poor. My old Dad used to say to me, "Money doesn't buy you happiness, son".
                          FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
                          Aye, 'e was right.
                          FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
                          Aye, 'e was.
                          FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
                          I was happier then and I had nothin'. We used to live in this tiny old house with great big holes in the roof.
                          SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
                          House! You were lucky to live in a house! We used to live in one room, all twenty-six of us, no furniture, 'alf the floor was missing, and we were all 'uddled together in one corner for fear of falling.
                          THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
                          Eh, you were lucky to have a room! We used to have to live in t' corridor!
                          FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
                          Oh, we used to dream of livin' in a corridor! Would ha' been a palace to us. We used to live in an old water tank on a rubbish tip. We got woke up every morning by having a load of rotting fish dumped all over us! House? Huh.
                          FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
                          Well, when I say 'house' it was only a hole in the ground covered by a sheet of tarpaulin, but it was a house to us.
                          SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
                          We were evicted from our 'ole in the ground; we 'ad to go and live in a lake.
                          THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
                          You were lucky to have a lake! There were a hundred and fifty of us living in t' shoebox in t' middle o' road.
                          FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
                          Cardboard box?
                          THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
                          Aye.
                          FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
                          You were lucky. We lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six in the morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t' mill, fourteen hours a day, week-in week-out, for sixpence a week, and when we got home our Dad would thrash us to sleep wi' his belt.
                          SECOND YORKSHIREMAN:
                          Luxury. We used to have to get out of the lake at six o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of 'ot gravel, work twenty hour day at mill for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would thrash us to sleep with a broken bottle, if we were lucky!
                          THIRD YORKSHIREMAN:
                          Well, of course, we had it tough. We used to 'ave to get up out of shoebox at twelve o'clock at night and lick road clean wit' tongue. We had two bits of cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at mill for sixpence every four years, and when we got home our Dad would slice us in two wit' bread knife.
                          FOURTH YORKSHIREMAN:
                          Right. I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad and our mother would kill us and dance about on our graves singing Hallelujah.
                          FIRST YORKSHIREMAN:
                          And you try and tell the young people of today that ..... they won't believe you.
                          ALL:
                          They won't!

i just realised....when i lived in dublin in the 40s and the 50s....it was sheer luxury....... but the kids wont believe me...

Comment

why did a country...that had been run been run by another country for hundreds of years.......as soon as it got to run itself......hand it over to an organisation......

an organisation that was riddled with paedophiles, and sadists....it handed over its children to......

an organisation that was riddled with lesbian virgin sadists....it handed over its babies born out of wedlock, to.....

why have those governments not apologised........

why have the the present governments not condemmed that organisation, and those previous governments.....

WHY, WHY, WHY...............

Comment

why did a country...that had been run been run by another country for hundreds of years.......as soon as it got to run itself......hand it over to an organisation......

an organisation that was riddled with paedophiles, and sadists....it handed over its children to......

an organisation that was riddled with lesbian virgin sadists....it handed over its babies born out of wedlock, to.....

why have those governments not apologised........

why have the the present governments not condemmed that organisation, and those previous governments.....

WHY, WHY, WHY...............
                              Ah come on Joe , the GAA werent that that bad !!!

Comment

Working...
                              X