Do older drivers get "unfair press" ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do older drivers get "unfair press" ?

Over the last month or so the pess reported on 12 RTA in the local area.

For example:-
    Two Cars Collied

A collision took place between two cars today at the junction of such and such a road. The road was blocked for three hours and the two drivers had injuries that were not light threathing. Police are asking witnesses to come forward.

Now, most of the RTAs were reported in that fashion except where elderly drivers were involved.

For example:-
    Elderly driver causes traffic chaos.
    An accident involving an elderly driver took place today at the junction of such and such a road.Two cars collied and the older driver was slightly injured. Divertions were in place and some people have raised concerns about elderly drivers ability to drive safely.

It turns out that a younger driver pulled out of a side road and struck the side of the elderlys drivers car.

Does anyone else expeirence this kind of biasness in RTA reporting??
    I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
    Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Attached Files

Comment

That's a great photo,speaks for itself. Ha-Ha

Comment

Originally posted by nansson View Post
        Would that be you be any chance...love the new car
        It is what it is.

Comment

Not as good as this Jem
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Pammy View Post
            Would that be you be any chance...love the new car
            Dat's me son

Comment

Originally posted by nansson View Post
              Dat's me son
              If thats your son.....jeese your lastin well......
              It is what it is.

Comment

Likes like the same scooter.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jembo View Post
                    Likes like the same scooter.
                    After my
                    Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift.

Comment

The institute of Advanced Motorist say they think older drivers get "unfair press"

"In terms of the number of crashes they have they are one of the safest groups on the road and far safer than young drivers between the ages of 17-24", said the IAM's Neil Greig, "When an older driver knocks down a pedestrian or drives the wrong way up a dual carriageway they get banner headlines and calls for though retests. The vast majority of older drivers are respossible adults who know their weaknesses and change to cope with them"
                      Also the Director of the RAC Foundation,said that there is no evidence older drivers have more accidents "In fact their safety record is better than that of many young drivers-but their fraility means that when they are involved in collisions they are more likely to be killed or seriously injured" He explained.

Comment

The institute of Advanced Motorist say they think older drivers get "unfair press"

"In terms of the number of crashes they have they are one of the safest groups on the road and far safer than young drivers between the ages of 17-24", said the IAM's Neil Greig, "When an older driver knocks down a pedestrian or drives the wrong way up a dual carriageway they get banner headlines and calls for though retests. The vast majority of older drivers are respossible adults who know their weaknesses and change to cope with them"
                        Also the Director of the RAC Foundation,said that there is no evidence older drivers have more accidents "In fact their safety record is better than that of many young drivers-but their fraility means that when they are involved in collisions they are more likely to be killed or seriously injured" He explained.
                        What age constitutes older drivers ? I know many a driver with years of "driving" experience and would rather walk than go in a car with them. If you are a good driver in your early years this will transcend later on in life, unless you suffer from some ailment that would affect your concentration. Since the points system was introduced it would be interesting to see what demographic has attracted the most points, if this data is available it should be published by the relevant authorities and dispel this myth of older drivers being unsafe.
                        Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift.

Comment

I don't think there should be a specific age in which you're forced to stop driving but I do think there should be a periodic retest. I know people in their 40s who need a refresher!!! My grandfather drove until he was 89. After hitting two parked cars and a mailbox he decided it was time to turn his keys over to my Aunt.

Comment

The RAC say "rather than introducing compulsory retesting for older drivers,we would like to see the greater promotion of voluntary refresher courses,insurance policies which offer discounts to older drivers who do not drive at the riskist times-such as at night -and on the most dangerous roads would also help".

Could we ever see that happen????

Comment

The RAC say "rather than introducing compulsory retesting for older drivers,we would like to see the greater promotion of voluntary refresher courses,insurance policies which offer discounts to older drivers who do not drive at the riskist times-such as at night -and on the most dangerous roads would also help".

Could we ever see that happen????
                              Where I live its mostly seniors, Each time my Son drives I have to remind him That folks are in no hurry so slow down. Seniors with good driving records get cheeper rates here.

Comment

Working...
                              X