Titanic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Titanic

My father's friend lost his sister and her 2 little girls who were sailing to the Us on the Titanic to be with the father

it is being celebrated here whilst I deplore the greed of it all. An obscene opulent ship with a huge staircase that was to be at the root of the fiasco, the lovvies in 1st class who had servants at their beck and call, whilst steerage passengers had 2 toilets - one for men and one for women. The crew were mostly non nationals who were not on the books and when not at sea got nothing

Southampton lost a a lot of people. Now I am very uneasy when I hear people claim the Titanic was built in Ireland - it was built in what is claimed toi be part of the UK.

Originally posted by Red Biddy View Post
    My father's friend lost his sister and her 2 little girls who were sailing to the Us on the Titanic to be with the father

it is being celebrated here whilst I deplore the greed of it all. An obscene opulent ship with a huge staircase that was to be at the root of the fiasco, the lovvies in 1st class who had servants at their beck and call, whilst steerage passengers had 2 toilets - one for men and one for women. The crew were mostly non nationals who were not on the books and when not at sea got nothing

Southampton lost a a lot of people. Now I am very uneasy when I hear people claim the Titanic was built in Ireland - it was built in what is claimed toi be part of the UK.
    I was just about to start a Titanic thread when I saw yours....anyway, what
    I was going to say was roughly along the lines of: what is it about the Titanic disaster that grips us like no other event before or since? The upcoming commemorations have taken on an almost celebratory feel, although this was such a terrible
    human tragedy....perhaps the passage of time has led us to a sort of de-personalisation of the victims.... the whole thing has taken on a sort of glamour and romance, an aura of mystique, inspiring blockbusting movies, interactive exhibitions and the like......don't get me wrong, i'm as fascinatated
    by the story as the next person and will doubtless be watching one of the
    many programmes scheduled for the weekend- but am I alone in thinking it's
    all a bit...ghoulish?

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
      I was going to say was roughly along the lines of: what is it about the Titanic disaster that grips us like no other event before or since? The upcoming commemorations have taken on an almost celebratory feel, although this was such a terrible
      human tragedy....perhaps the passage of time has led us to a sort of de-personalisation of the victims.... the whole thing has taken on a sort of glamour and romance, an aura of mystique, inspiring blockbusting movies, interactive exhibitions and the like......don't get me wrong, i'm as fascinatated
      all a bit...ghoulish?
      no.....................
      Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

I'll let yez know when I've seen the exhibition ... we're booked in next week but as I'm up here now we'll try and get in this week.

Comment

Originally posted by Red Biddy View Post
          ...An obscene opulent ship with a huge staircase that was to be at the root of the fiasco, the lovvies in 1st class who had servants at their beck and call, whilst steerage passengers had 2 toilets - one for men and one for women. The crew were mostly non nationals who were not on the books and when not at sea got nothing...

Be a cracker of a movie...
          Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
            Be a cracker of a movie...
            It was the worst movie I ever saw. "A Night to Remember" was a far better version.

'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Originally posted by Rashers View Post
              It was the worst movie I ever saw. "A Night to Remember" was a far better version.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051994/
              Thought 'Michael Collins' was the worst movie you ever saw... we'll have to get a list together sometime of your 'worst movies'...

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
                Thought 'Michael Collins' was the worst movie you ever saw... we'll have to get a list together sometime of your 'worst movies'...
                Ah well... Michael Collins movie was pure fiction... a comedy. Car bombs in 1921?

Comment

Ah well... Michael Collins movie was pure fiction... a comedy. Car bombs in 1921?
                  A mere trifle... besides - the Fenians blew up some unfortunate civilians in the 1860s outside a jail in England with a bomb... in a wheelbarrow !!

Comment

all a bit...ghoulish?
                    I was just talking about that with a mate over coffee this morning. Why is it a disaster that looms so large when there have been other sinkings with far more loss of life etc. We came to the conclusion that it was because it was her maiden voyage and she was billed as 'unsinkable'...shades of God's retribution for the arrogance of men and so on. I remember hearing as a kid that when she was built at Harland & Wolfe in Belfast some rivets had 'no Pope' stamped on them; another sectarian urban myth I suspect of Prods getting their comeuppance. Another issue is that it was heading for New York and had a lot of US citizens on board would also help the publicity, fuel the myth etc. The sinking of a German cruise ship in the Baltic just wouldn't get the same media attention.
                    Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051994/
                      You are right Jim a shit movie. Highly accurate in the details of the ship's construction, artifacts etc so I'm told, but the earlier movie was more historically accurate as far as events go.
                      Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by boxman View Post
                        You are right Jim a shit movie. Highly accurate in the details of the ship's construction, artifacts etc so I'm told, but the earlier movie was more historically accurate as far as events go.
                        well i loved it- but then i also loved the original "poseidon adventure"- maybe
                        i've got really bad taste......

Comment

well i loved it- but then i also loved the original "poseidon adventure"- maybe
                          i've got really bad taste......
                          Probably a bad description KM, perhaps I should have said Chick Flick
                          Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

I went a few days ago and loved watching it again, indeed I'd watch it again in the future. Brilliant movie. What did you not like about it.?
                            today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Comment

It's a love story. The sinking seems to have been almost an afterthought. As Dave so accurately called it: A chick flick.

Anyone seriously looking for an accurate depiction of the sinking from start to end should avoid Titanic, but go for A Night to Remember.

Anyone looking for a fair to middling love story and to see Kate whateverhernameis nude then by all means watch Titanic. Though remember that the love story has been done to death.... poor boy meets rich girl whose family don't want him near her and he gives up his life for her in the end.... Romeo and Juliet on a ship anyone?

Comment

Working...
                              X