Pasty Tax for UK residents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pasty Tax for UK residents

should there be VAT on "unhealthy" foods, bearing in mind the increase in obesity and its increased dangers to health- and how this increases the burden on the health service?

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
    should there be VAT on "unhealthy" foods, bearing in mind the increase in obesity and its increased dangers to health- and how this increases the burden on the health service?
    what foods are unhealhy........and i don't want opinions......?????
    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
      what foods are unhealhy........and i don't want opinions......?????
      dunno....high fat content, high sugar content, high salt content........if you ask me, it's a load of bollix

Comment

dunno....high fat content, high sugar content, high salt content........if you ask me, it's a load of bollix
        So... you won't be paying it then ?
        Everything is self-evident.

Comment

it is simple.....we use food for heat and sustanance.......so if we are warm, we need less.......the rest is related to what we use up....too much, produces fat...

the body is designed to carry fat, to get us through lean times.....if there are no lean times the result is obesity......that is a general rule....

with regards to salt......we need trace elements.....we can cope with getting rid of a certain amount.....too much overloads the system...

we got used to salt because it was used to preserve foods to get us through lean times and winter........how much can we cope with...??????

i believe we were designed to eat meat and vegatables........

what was caught, scavanged, and what was in season........now everything is available.....and most importantly, concentrated...

we may be out of balance........but no food is bad......too much is...

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
            So... you won't be paying it then ?
            i don't buy pasties.......but seriously, should we pay more for foods that
            increase our risk of health problems, like we do for cigarettes and alcohol?

Comment

If there's a Pasty Tax... will the fat cats pay more ??
              Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
                If there's a Pasty Tax... will the fat cats pay more ??
                if their obesity is due to pasties, then yes....apparently it doesn't apply to
                caviar.

Comment

Your right Katie - no tax on cavier. But speaking of unhealthy food, I drink a glass of fruit juice every morning and it has been reported that all fruit contains masses of sugar (the sugar in the fruit). I was listening to the radio and it was reported the '5 a day' is a fallacy invented in 1990 by fruit growers in California

Not a paper I usually read but BBC news also reported it

It's been reported that we need eight fruit and veg a day - but the suggestion that we need five is a myth. Some will reject this - but science backs it up.
                  Last edited by Red Biddy; 19-04-2012, 01:21 AM.

Comment

if their obesity is due to pasties, then yes....apparently it doesn't apply to
                    caviar.
                    the uk vat situation in regards to food.........if you take it home, it is vat free..classed as a basic......

if you eat in....classed as a luxury....vattable....including caviar....lol

with regard to pasties....in havent go a clue.......will maybe find out....but as i don't eat pies or pasties...i have no interest..

Comment

Originally posted by Red Biddy View Post
                      Your right Katie - no tax on cavier. But speaking of unhealthy food, I drink a glass of fruit juice every morning and it has been reported that all fruit contains masses of sugar (the sugar in the fruit). I was listening to the radio and it was reported the '5 a day' is a fallacy invented in 1990 by fruit growers in California

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/fo...on-expert.html
                      i can well believe it....but then passive smoking is considered a myth in some
                      quarters, as there's been no real evidence....who do you believe?

Comment

katie, I am a smoker and feel so guilty when I smoke in my own kitchen (I only smoke there) in case anyone inhales it as i do believe it cannot be good. However, if I have to be treated for a smoking related disease, and am refused, then I will ask the government for the thousands I paid to the treasurey in tax as it costs about a pound or 2 to produce a packet of smokes, a few shillings for the shopkeeper and about £4 in tax to the government

I agree that fruit contains sugar and then more are added which cant be right. And why have they got to add sugar to bread?

I am a bit bamboozled

Comment

red,

sugar helps boost the yeast quicker....... i got that from mister brennan, but he wouldn`t tell me the secret of how he makes the bread so fresh...he just told me to f... off and mind my own f..... business.

thats nice mister brennan for ye.
                          in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmo View Post
                            red,

sugar helps boost the yeast quicker....... i got that from mister brennan, but he wouldn`t tell me the secret of how he makes the bread so fresh...he just told me to f... off and mind my own f..... business.

thats nice mister brennan for ye.
                            When my kids used to hear 'to-day's bread to-day' they would laugh their heads off they thought it was so funny

I find sliced brown bread tastes quite sweet and its not a great taste

Comment

Originally posted by Red Biddy View Post

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/fo...on-expert.html
                              Supposed to be four servings of veggies for every one serving of fruit. I eat like 10+ servings of veggies majority of my days...and I feel better, too.
                              I believe in.......

Comment

Working...
                              X