Irishness Is..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irishness Is..........

Learning a language for 12 years and not being fluent........

Thinking we are the bees knees and finding out we are not better than other nations

Comment

Is this what Irishness is thread, Or run the Irish down thread. Just checking before I post....
      It's nice to be important, but it is more important to be nice.

Comment

Originally posted by nansson View Post
        i can only speak for myself in the time and place of my education......

to speak irish then....you would have been considered a weirdo..

to look back as an old person living in the uk.....english would have served us better.......

to take an overall view......the money spent on the irish language.....could have been better spent in those days.....

and people could have still learnt it, if they wished...

to have it forced down childrens throats....on the end of a bamboo cane....which it was to different degrees around the country.....was barbaric......
        Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

I had a schoolmaster who was a fluent Irish speaker. He told us one day that if he had the power he would make the use of Irish illegal. That surprised us until he said that if that was done nearly everyone would be taking classes and speaking it at every opportunity -- because we're Irish and don't take kindly to authority telling us what we should do and not do.

I think he was probably right.
          'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Originally posted by Rashers View Post
            I had a schoolmaster who was a fluent Irish speaker. He told us one day that if he had the power he would make the use of Irish illegal. That surprised us until he said that if that was done nearly everyone would be taking classes and speaking it at every opportunity -- because we're Irish and don't take kindly to authority telling us what we should do and not do.

I think he was probably right.
            a good point rashers...i would have no problem with that...

language is a means of communicating.....how people wish to communicate....should be their own choice......

but as i said.......the no choice bit was in my opinion.......WRONG..

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie View Post
              Is this what Irishness is thread, Or run the Irish down thread. Just checking before I post....
              this is a speak the truth thread..........is it....

Comment

Originally posted by nansson View Post
                Got it wrong, I thought being Irish did not have to include speaking irish, So if I dont speak Irish does that not make me Irish - confused here

Comment

Irishness Is..........

Phoning Joe Duffy instead of the Gardai.......

Comment

Irish is.....wettin the tae.....gettin sumtin outa the press.....sleepin it out .....gettin sent up the yard....yer mammy calling you in to kill you and you comin..hearing of someone thro whispers who as the big C......giving the bowzer a kick up the bum to shut up barkng and thinking the little rossie up the street neeeds a good kick up the arse....being irish is sometimes needing a transator lol

Comment

Irishness Is.......

Saying ' You're not drinkin'...ya must be on antibiotics'.....

Comment

Being born in the combe or the rotunda

Comment

The panic attack when you forget to turn the immersion off

Comment

Good one! Gettin sent to the shops for a pound of broken biscuits and asking for not too sny broken ones lol

Comment

Wallpaper on yer schoolbooks

Comment

Working...
                              X