Hygene in hospitals.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hygene in hospitals.

Just how good is hygene in hospitals?? Mam is now in an isolation ward. When we saw the state of the room we complained to a nurse. The manager came in and we told her that the floor isn't only dirty ... its manky....She assured us it had been cleaned only this morning. .....I said .. no it wasn't....not only was it not cleaned as in washed ... it wasnt even swept. So she organised for the "cleaning girl" to come down.....well she may as well have stayed where she was. She went round the floor with a flat mob.... and it took her exactly one minute .....the floor is still filthy.

I also complained about the a&e on Sat, there was a lot of dried blood on the floor and two pieces of cloth with blood on them....also the breathing aparatus that is sometimes used was also trailing the floor. I was in that cubicle for nine hours and not one person came in to clean......Is this normal??
    It is what it is.

Originally posted by Pammy View Post
    Just how good is hygene in hospitals?? Mam is now in an isolation ward. When we saw the state of the room we complained to a nurse. The manager came in and we told her that the floor isn't only dirty ... its manky....She assured us it had been cleaned only this morning. .....I said .. no it wasn't....not only was it not cleaned as in washed ... it wasnt even swept. So she organised for the "cleaning girl" to come down.....well she may as well have stayed where she was. She went round the floor with a flat mob.... and it took her exactly one minute .....the floor is still filthy.

I also complained about the a&e on Sat, there was a lot of dried blood on the floor and two pieces of cloth with blood on them....also the breathing aparatus that is sometimes used was also trailing the floor. I was in that cubicle for nine hours and not one person came in to clean......Is this normal??
    Thats awful pammy but sadly its very much the same here , most off our Hospital's are rife with one bug or another including the really bad mrsa...its so scary ..I hope to God that I dont end up as a patient in any off the Hospitals here I do hope taht your mam is improved enough to get home again soon

Comment

Originally posted by Deirdre View Post
      Thats awful pammy but sadly its very much the same here , most off our Hospital's are rife with one bug or another including the really bad mrsa...its so scary ..I hope to God that I dont end up as a patient in any off the Hospitals here I do hope taht your mam is improved enough to get home again soon
      de, i don't know about ireland.....but from my experience, there seems to be no sense in the way hospitals are run these days....

i am not complaining about the medical side.....no complaints there....
      Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

I think when hospitals outsourced their cleaning the standards went downhill also there seems to be time pressures on the cleaning of rooms. Cleaning staff have a schedule and they have to have a certain amount of rooms cleaned by a certain time so corners get cut. All these bugs we here about seem to be rampant. I know a few people who went into hospital over the last year and one of the things they where concerned about was would they survive without getting one of these bugs before they got out.
        Last edited by jeangenie; 01-05-2012, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jeangenie View Post
          I think when hospitals outsourced their cleaning the standards went downhill also there seems to be time pressures on the cleaning of rooms. Cleaning staff have a schedule and they have to have a certain amount of rooms cleaned by a certain time so corners get cut. All these bugs we here about seem to be rampant. I know a few people who went into hospital over the last year and one of the things they where concerned about was would they survive without getting one of these bugs before they got out.
          i went into a private treatment that had justb opened.....the nhs pays for it...

i was there 11 days...and i was told by a nurse....to take really deep breath's because if you don't, there is a little part in the bottom of your lungs.....that does not get emptied and recharged,,,and germs can lurk in there...

well..i came home ok....
          Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Jez Joe,I'd be afraid to take deep breath's in there where Pammys Mam is,Pammy,is there nobody these things can be reported to? surely to God there are standards that must be kept? I read on here a few weeks ago about several newborns dying from infection in a hospital over there.A hospital is the one place where cleanliness is imperative!I hope your Mam gets out of that place very soon Pammy,and safely!

Comment

Im typing this from mels ward hospital policy clearly states how ro should be cleaned i kept getting the cleaners back the other day till they followed their own policies so no problems with room now.. However the drs are a different matter which shall be addressed later... Hope your moms getting a lot better... We had a much better day with mel today and can finally believe this will work out in the end xo

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
                Im typing this from mels ward hospital policy clearly states how ro should be cleaned i kept getting the cleaners back the other day till they followed their own policies so no problems with room now.. However the drs are a different matter which shall be addressed later... Hope your moms getting a lot better... We had a much better day with mel today and can finally believe this will work out in the end xo
                Helen,loads of luck for Mels recovery,she sounds tough,like her Mom,I am praying for you all.hugs,Marie

Comment

Originally posted by Pammy View Post

If were me, wonder if they would mind if just go grab the cleaning cart the cleaning staff push around & clean my loved one's room myself....yeah, I can see myself doing that for my father.....and then complain to the nth degree that I had to.

My office is in a hospital that sees the worst of the worst as for disease & trauma, and it must be doing pretty good clean-wise since I do not catch much....can go two years w/o a cold & such. I walk through it & by all sorts of things all the time. I can see they are constantly doing things with painting & finishing & cleaning though. Hellva army of mexican/spanish-speaking cleaning ladies who love to brag about their achievements, and actually they do a fantastic job.
                  Last edited by Curious Girl; 05-05-2012, 06:26 AM.
                  I believe in.......

Comment

Pammy I don't know if that's normal but if I were you, I'd grab some rubber gloves and wipe the whole place down with bleach. Then I'd write a very unpleasant letter to the head of the hospital.

Comment

I was in a hospital in Newport South Wales and there was filt everwhere. The bathroom appeared not to have been cleaned for days and there were bloody dressings on the floor,so I thought I'd use the shower. There was a bloody hospital gown on the floor and a dirty plaster dressing stuck to the wall. I went back to the bathroom and had a washdown. I then went and got the staff nurse and showed her both the shower and bathroon. She appeared to be horrified and promised to have both rooms cleaned up right away. Anyway I went home that day but was re-admitted the following week, and guess what, the dirty plaster dressing was still stuck to the shower wall. When the consultant came around a little later I told him all about the dirt and said that I wanted to be transferd to another hospital. He replied that he would speak to the staff nurse and of course it was the same one from the previous week.She denied that I told her about the washing facilities. I told her that I had recorded the conversation on my mobile and within ten mins a team of cleaners appeared from nowhere and started cleaning the shower & bathroom.
                      Last edited by jembo; 06-05-2012, 10:14 PM.
                      I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
                      Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

Not sure if any Members know of or have ever been in Caritas Convalescent Centre,Merrion Road,Dublin.It's owned and run by The Irish Sisters of Charity.

My Wife has been there on two occasions during the past two years aftertwo knee replacements.It's managed by a nun called Sister Manus and it's

like stepping back to the time when hospitals were incredibly clean and well run.I'm told the food is also very good.You'll all remember that old expression

" You could eat your dinner off the floor " well just about describes how clean this place is.The care and attention in Caritas is also fantastic.

The down side of this story is it's very expensive and quite difficult to get into the place.My point is really to say it's possible to keep hospitals etc.clean if

enough attention and care is put into them and they are run by people who really care about the patients welfare.
                        Last edited by camden; 06-05-2012, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by camden View Post
                          Not sure if any Members know of or have ever been in Caritas Convalescent Centre,Merrion Road,Dublin.It's owned and run by The Irish Sisters of Charity.

My Wife has been there on two occasions during the past two years aftertwo knee replacements.It's managed by a nun called Sister Manus and it's

like stepping back to the time when hospitals were incredibly clean and well run.I'm told the food is also very good.You'll all remember that old expression

" You could eat your dinner off the floor " well just about describes how clean this place is.The care and attention in Caritas is also fantastic.

The down side of this story is it's very expensive and quite difficult to get into the place.My point is really to say it's possible to keep hospitals etc.clean if

enough attention and care is put into them and they are run by people who really care about the patients welfare.
                          Your post sums it up! Caritas is expensive and run by nuns!!! They employ the cleaning staff directly I would imagine or at least keep a close watch to see they getting value for money while in hospitals the cleaning is contracted, the cleaners getting minimum wage and doing the work that 3/4 would have done 5 yrs ago. The only way a cleaning company can keep the contract is not increase the cost to the hospital so where are costs cut? Also, the supply of equipment to the cleaners reduced. Who suffers? The patient....

Comment

Originally posted by Eileen View Post
                            Pammy I don't know if that's normal but if I were you, I'd grab some rubber gloves and wipe the whole place down with bleach. Then I'd write a very unpleasant letter to the head of the hospital.
                            Yeah, and then film some of it with the trusty smart phone & upload the before, during, and after up to You Tube. I know, tough to when worried about a loved one who is there though.
                            I believe in.......

Comment

Yes money speaks volumes....unfortunately we dont have it.....bring back the nuns....hospitals were clean and there was no such thing as hospital bugs....my mam has now got C Diff.... and my neice whose immune system is very low has now been tested for it....... mam still remains critical....but stable.
                              It is what it is.

Comment

Working...
                              X