British Government Boycotting Ukraine matches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British Government Boycotting Ukraine matches

Is it right for the British and other European governments to stay away from
    euro 2012 matches in Ukraine over the treatment of jailed opposition leader
    Yulia Tymoshenko, or should they keep politics out of sport in this instance?

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
    Is it right for the British and other European governments to stay away from
    euro 2012 matches in Ukraine over the treatment of jailed opposition leader
    Yulia Tymoshenko, or should they keep politics out of sport in this instance?
    in view at what has happened to Ms tymoshenko....and the eu reaction....it would defeat that purpose for members of any eu government to travel to the ukraine, i an official capacity......

to go there as ordinary supporters, i see no problem...
    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
      in view at what has happened to Ms tymoshenko....and the eu reaction....it would defeat that purpose for members of any eu government to travel to the ukraine, i an official capacity......

to go there as ordinary supporters, i see no problem...
      Tricky one... think Joe has it about right... it's been bubbling away for a few weeks though I thought when they moved her to hospital that would be enough to get the Ukrainians of the hook.

They locked her up for allegedly robbing the country blind... as if any politician would do such a thing !!
      Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
        Tricky one... think Joe has it about right... it's been bubbling away for a few weeks though I thought when they moved her to hospital that would be enough to get the Ukrainians of the hook.

They locked her up for allegedly robbing the country blind... as if any politician would do such a thing !!
        ei

That's the thing, it doesn't seem to be a cut-and-dried case....allegations of
        corruption on both sides.......also, it seems a bit of a half-hearted gesture,
        particularly as so far they're undecided about whether anyone will attend
        after the group stages. And if it's such a big human rights issue, wouldn't
        it have shown more conviction to boycott the thing altogether? We've already committed ourselves to taking part in the event, and I don't think it'd
        be perceived as condoning the alleged abuses for the government to get behind the team and show their support by attending.....

Comment

Working...
        X