Armed Forces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Armed Forces

I know there are some members who have been in the armed forces, eg Quinner and Rashers. Every time I see on the news that someone has come
    back in a body bag from Afghanistan, and see how people are almost surprised
    by this, I start to think, what made that man join up in the first place? I started a thread on .ie, about how men would feel if they'd felt pressured to
    enlist in a war, but the male members of the forum were rather reticent about
    this, perhaps feeling that if they said they'd be shit-scared they'd somehow
    be letting themselves down. What I want to know is, how do men feel when
    they sign up to the army, navy etc, knowing what could happen? Why do
    men (and women) join the armed forces?

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
    I know there are some members who have been in the armed forces, eg Quinner and Rashers. Every time I see on the news that someone has come
    back in a body bag from Afghanistan, and see how people are almost surprised
    by this, I start to think, what made that man join up in the first place? I started a thread on .ie, about how men would feel if they'd felt pressured to
    enlist in a war, but the male members of the forum were rather reticent about
    this, perhaps feeling that if they said they'd be shit-scared they'd somehow
    be letting themselves down. What I want to know is, how do men feel when
    they sign up to the army, navy etc, knowing what could happen? Why do
    men (and women) join the armed forces?
    In my case it was a family tradition -- all the men in my family had served (and women too during the Rebellion and later).

But at the time I joined, the Congo crisis was ongoing and I wanted to see a foreign land, and the whole adventure appealed to me.

Comrades were killed, but you never believe it will happen to you.
    'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Originally posted by Rashers View Post
      In my case it was a family tradition -- all the men in my family had served (and women too during the Rebellion and later).

But at the time I joined, the Congo crisis was ongoing and I wanted to see a foreign land, and the whole adventure appealed to me.

Comrades were killed, but you never believe it will happen to you.
      Thanks for replying Rashers....I know it's a sensitive subject. I suppose it's
      the outlook you have on life - whether you're an optimist or a pessimist.

Comment

The bit about never believing it will happen to you is probably like smokers... everyone knows another smoker who is dying or has died of smoking related conditions but no one believes it will happen to them.

Plus... I was too young to legally buy a pint... but was considered to be old enough to carry a rifle.
        'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

pessimists, sit there and worry....optomists get on with the job...

of course it is sad if a young lad gets killed...

when i was in germany, there were constant exercises...lots of soldiers get killed in accidents. we had 7 one year....

we used to sleep with half a tent wrapped around us..woke up one morning covered in fresh snow, with fresh tank tracks inches from four of us.....
          Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post

we used to sleep with half a tent wrapped around us..woke up one morning covered in fresh snow, with fresh tank tracks inches from four of us.....
            Russian tracks ??
            Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
              Russian tracks ??
              no, william the 50 ton conquerer.....

i had a close friend lost both legs from such an accident.......

Comment

Katie, there is no tradition of any military service in our family yet Kiddeh, since he was about 15/16 was determined that was what he wanted! I would be a confirmed pacifist and can see no reason for any country to take up arm, always believing there must be an alternative but, it is his life and I am glad for him that he has achieved his aim and is now in training...and loving every minute...so far!!!
                Am I worried? Not really,I don't do worry, that would not protect him or keep him safe anyway. But I am content in knowing that if he succeeds in finishing training and is sent into action that it is his choice of career and he got encouragement all the way...well most of it lol.

Comment

Katie,My husband joined the Military when the draft was enforced,He did not fancy the Army,so he enlisted in the Air force.All of my 5 kids joined ROTC,cadets,in high school,a class option,all but my youngest Son loved it,and although only my eldest son joined up,two of my 3 girls married Air force guys.My son, and sons in law,wanted to fly,like their Fathers did,and they all spent time in war situations which were scary ,but as they say,we were there to keep the peace.oddly enough the three of them all worked on the same bases on the AWACS planes!They are now all retired from the Military,but still love to talk about it! lol

Comment

Originally posted by maire View Post
                    Katie,My husband joined the Military when the draft was enforced,He did not fancy the Army,so he enlisted in the Air force.All of my 5 kids joined ROTC,cadets,in high school,a class option,all but my youngest Son loved it,and although only my eldest son joined up,two of my 3 girls married Air force guys.My son, and sons in law,wanted to fly,like their Fathers did,and they all spent time in war situations which were scary ,but as they say,we were there to keep the peace.oddly enough the three of them all worked on the same bases on the AWACS planes!They are now all retired from the Military,but still love to talk about it! lol
                    well, that has to be alconbury, or molesworth...

Comment

well, that has to be alconbury, or molesworth...
                      They wish Joe,Oklahoma,Okinawa,Korea, Afghanistan, Saudi etc,poor fellas were always gone,My Son finally became an Air traffic controller,and went to Germany,then left the Air force to join the FAA,he now controls in Florida.My Hubby spent many years in Mildenhall,and South Ruislip.oh and as a civillian at Lakenheath!

Comment

They wish Joe,Oklahoma,Okinawa,Korea, Afghanistan, Saudi etc,poor fellas were always gone,My Son finally became an Air traffic controller,and went to Germany,then left the Air force to join the FAA,he now controls in Florida.My Hubby spent many years in Mildenhall,and South Ruislip.oh and as a civillian at Lakenheath!
                        more exciting then.....i have been to so many american airbases....and there were lots airforce lads drank around cambridge.......

i've been to stanmore, but not south ruislip......

you certainly had an interesting life......

Comment

Yes Joe,enjoyed most of it,but there's always the other side of everything,I never liked Louisiana nor the years the hubby was away from home for a year at a time,back then it was lonely being in a foreign country away from my Family in England. but hey,what doesn't kill you makes you stronger right?.Now we are totally off thread,Katie will give us a lashing! lol,Sorry Katie!

Comment

Yes Joe,enjoyed most of it,but there's always the other side of everything,I never liked Louisiana nor the years the hubby was away from home for a year at a time,back then it was lonely being in a foreign country away from my Family in England. but hey,what doesn't kill you makes you stronger right?.Now we are totally off thread,Katie will give us a lashing! lol,Sorry Katie!
                            katie is too busy putting the world right..and giving all my money away.....

Comment

katie is too busy putting the world right..and giving all my money away.....
                              She's a good girl ,I hope she succeeds, in putting the world right,that is!

Comment

Working...
                              X