farm subsidies...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• farm subsidies...

farm subsidies are a great boon to farmers in places like the eu and the usa....

but what a lot of people don't realise, they are a disaster for third world countries....who, without subsidies cannot compete with subsidised prices..

as a consequence, where crops could be grown they are not...

is it time for all food to be grown and sold in a free competitive market....
    Last edited by Pammy; 16-07-2012, 10:10 PM.
    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Originally posted by quinner View Post
    farm subsidies are a great boon to farmers in places like the eu and the usa....

but what a lot of people don't realise, they are a disaster for third world countries....who, without subsidies cannot compete with subsidised prices..

as a consequence, where crops could be grown they are not...

is it time for all food to be grown and sold in a free competitive market....
    I think you could be right. Subsidies should probably only be used in certain situations, not forever. And, the gov tends to subsidize the crap that makes too many folks overweight....like corn to make corn syrup could be on the top of the US list. No subsidies on like organic greens or anything that makes us live longer.
    I believe in.......

Comment

Originally posted by Curious Girl View Post
      I think you could be right. Subsidies should probably only be used in certain situations, not forever. And, the gov tends to subsidize the crap that makes too many folks overweight....like corn to make corn syrup could be on the top of the US list. No subsidies on like organic greens or anything that makes us live longer.
      Actually organics claim EU payments.

Comment

Farm subsidies always seemed so stupid to me, like giving kids rewards to behave themselves, that's what you're supposed to do!!

Comment

never understood farm subsidies ,they pay someone not to grow something

Comment

in it's basic form.......subsidies are to keep prices low so that the third world cannot corner the food market......

and to make western farmers rich at the same time....

if they switched to manufacturing subsidies......there would be no financial crisis....or recession....

Comment

can`t be as easy as that joe, otherwise it would be done before now. i`m afraid theres no easy fix for the recession at the moment...except a world war to create a huge demand for everything!!....perish the thought.
              Last edited by cosmo; 11-08-2012, 12:17 PM.
              in god i trust...everyone else cash only.

Comment

Originally posted by cosmo View Post
                can`t be as easy as that joe, otherwise it would be done before now. i`m afraid theres no easy fix for the recession at the moment...except a world war to create a huge demand for everything!!....perish the thought.
                yes cosmo....nothing is easy...

but in my opinion, recessions and financial problems are caused by false markets....and false markets are caused by subsidies....

subsidies to manufacturing would be the lesser of two evils.....

countries should as far as possible manufacture their own needs.....

Comment

in it's basic form.......subsidies are to keep prices low so that the third world cannot corner the food market......

and to make western farmers rich at the same time....

if they switched to manufacturing subsidies......there would be no financial crisis....or recession....
                  So payments to farmers are to blame for the recession?

Comment

Originally posted by Napper Tandy View Post
                    So payments to farmers are to blame for the recession?

in my opinion the worlds farming subsidies are a distortion of world economics.......

which are the main causes of fluctuating trading trends.....

Comment

It's a little more complicated than that I think. Here in the US farmers do get paid NOT to grown certain crops - however the purpose is to keep from flooding the market with these products. If there's a huge crop, the price bottoms out. This has backfired this year because of the drought. With the corn crop all but none existent, everything from bread to beef will go up in price making the recession worse.

Comment

Originally posted by Eileen View Post
                        It's a little more complicated than that I think. Here in the US farmers do get paid NOT to grown certain crops - however the purpose is to keep from flooding the market with these products. If there's a huge crop, the price bottoms out. This has backfired this year because of the drought. With the corn crop all but none existent, everything from bread to beef will go up in price making the recession worse.
                        yes eileen....it is a very complicated situation......

there will be many hardships around the world because food prices are rising....

Comment

in my opinion the worlds farming subsidies are a distortion of world economics.......

which are the main causes of fluctuating trading trends.....
                          But that wasn't the cause of the global recession. Over lending of the banking institutes and the various property bubbles around the world, the high American debt rate.

Comment

Originally posted by Napper Tandy View Post
                            But that wasn't the cause of the global recession. Over lending of the banking institutes and the various property bubbles around the world, the high American debt rate.

you are entitled to your opinion....as i mine...

the banking crisis, has not caused a world recession.....the recession was well underway before the banking crisis came to light....

it was the recession that caused the banking crisis......

Comment

you are entitled to your opinion....as i mine...

the banking crisis, has not caused a world recession.....the recession was well underway before the banking crisis came to light....

it was the recession that caused the banking crisis......
                              Of course because the banks suddenly had loan books full of defaulters due to the property bubbles collapsing but I can't figure out how you think farm subsidies caused world recession when there are many more causes above it in the list....... But your entitled to your opinion no matter how ill informed it is.........

Comment

Working...
                              X