It Happened in Spain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Happened in Spain

Spain is slipping into despair as unemployment rates in the under 25s reach 52%. Overall unemployment is twice that of Ireland’s.

A FEW WEEKS ago in the northern part of Barcelona, a 74-year-old man killed his son in the Sant Andreu graveyard. It was 11.30am. The sun had already announced that it was another hot day in the city. The graveyard was quiet, with only a few people in attendance, none of whom witnessed the murder.

The man’s son, who was aged 46 and confined to a wheelchair, was severely mentally disabled. After he shot him, the man turned the gun on himself. They were by the vault of his wife, the mother of his disabled son. She had died a week beforehand.

The family, according to El País and other Spanish press reports, was in severe financial straits. The man left a note explaining the reasons for the murder and his suicide. In it, he wrote that he could no longer take care of his son who was in such a debilitating condition.

A few months earlier, a 56-year-old disabled woman in Malaga, who was facing eviction, threw herself to her death off the eleventh-floor balcony of her apartment building while over 100 onlookers, including police and the fire brigade, looked on in vain.

Suicide rates in Catalonia, the region in the north-east of Spain where the tragic Sant Andreu graveyard deaths occurred, have increased by 10% in one year alone and reflect a nationwide trend. Spain is slipping into despair as unemployment rates in the under 25s reach 52%. Overall unemployment is twice that of Ireland’s. Richard Fitzpatrick reports from Barcelona
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

My god how sad is this, what is happening to people?

Comment

despair marie...i guess they dont see a way out of their problems...that is so sad about that man shooting his son...obviously they were caring parents who looked after him for more than 40 years........can you imagine the thoughts running thro the fathers head to resort to something like this..

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
        despair marie...i guess they dont see a way out of their problems...that is so sad about that man shooting his son...obviously they were caring parents who looked after him for more than 40 years........can you imagine the thoughts running thro the fathers head to resort to something like this..
        What a desperate position to be in, I can't even imagine it!

Comment

i know...but you know what its always the poor families and the elderly who suffer most during these recessions, (or should i say bad management on behalf of governments....)

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
            i know...but you know what its always the poor families and the elderly who suffer most during these recessions, (or should i say bad management on behalf of governments....)

there is no such thing as a good government......they would never get elected...
            Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
              there is no such thing as a good government......they would never get elected...
              not by you anyway.....

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
                not by you anyway.....
                or 60% percent of the voting population.........

stop blaming me.....lol

I HAVE NOT GOT THE POWER....
                Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

are you not feeling the love quinner hehe

Comment

Quinner, as they used to say 'there but for the grace go I'

Comment

And we could all end up in the same boat!

Comment

It's a terrible indictment of the way the European Union is being run.
                        Do what you love - love what you do.

Comment

Originally posted by Auld Decency View Post
                          It's a terrible indictment of the way the European Union is being run.
                          Yep, us in the EEC have to pay for 2 governments. I voted against joining

Comment

It gets worse..........

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

Comment

Spanish firefighters refuse to evict an 80yr old woman.

Their banner reads -

"We rescue people not banks"

Comment

Working...
                              X