Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It happened in Greece.

It happened in Greece.

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

SV388 Slot diakui di komunitas game online sebagai pengembang dan penyedia game terkemuka. SV388 adalah penyedia slot terbaru
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

Comment

The Government just stopped paying the pharmacies for their work - so the pharmacies had no cash for their overheads and used the money taken over the counter to pay overheads?

Crash and burn. So drug companies are stopping supplies to Greece.

Comment

by Ephilant

The Poverty of the Greek people

The insanity and inhumane treatment of the weakest in our society reached a new low today.

It has emerged today that on Thursday 12/07/2012 a representative of the PPC (the Greek electricity company) visited the Hospice of the Foundation for the Incurably Ill in Kypseli in Athens and disconnected their power supply. At that time the hospice had 235 incurably ill, bed-ridden patients between the ages of 80 and 96 in it's care, and the temperatures in Athens were touching 40C, while the air conditioning units had been disabled due to this action. On Sunday the temperatures in Athens reached 46C, and the hospice was left without power, thus without air conditioning.

The electricity bill is for a total of 866€, which includes 600.29€ emergency property tax (For which the hospice is exempt!), 166.94€ "municipality fees" and also includes the fee for the National TV broadcaster ERT. Meaning, the actual electricity component of the bill was 98.77€, which, according to the bill itself, is only due on August 3rd.

The spokeswoman for the hospice decided to spill the beans on the whole sorry mess and went on to tell the stunned reporters of To Vima that the Hopsice is

- owed over 3 million € by the State for the service they provide to the elderly. However, the fund that was supposed to pay this to them was raided by the Papademos "interim government" and cleaned out to pay bond holders instead.

- Because of non payment of this 3 million, the hospice finds it impossible to meet its financial obligations and suppliers of pharmnaceutical supplies and food have stopped supplying the hospice. The elderly have not had a proper meal since June 1st, when supplies were stopped.

- The 170 staff tried collect money in an effort to secure enough medication to help the bedridden patients who suffer from bed sores, respitory and urinary infections and severe anemia. The effort was in vain, because none of them have been paid since March 1st, and they are struggling themselves to keep families going.

- the hospice ran out of basic care supplies like eye drops, diapers, skin ointment etc mid june and has not been able to secure any supply since.

At the end of her tether, the manageress of the hospice revealed that she had started legal proceedings against the departments of health, labour and finance, with the help of a few "friendly" lawyers. There were no politicians available for comment...

The manager of the PPC in the area is one of the people who awarded himself a 3,500€ monthly bonus in January for a "job well done"...

Comment

I've a feeling your next thread is going to be "It Will Happen in Ireland"........

Comment

by Ephilant

Yesterday, the greed of those who think they matter reached a new low.

Emmanuil Taktikopoulos is a 70-something year old pensioner living on the isle of Rhodes. He suffers from a work related lung disease and is in need of extra oxygen, especially when the weather turns the way it has, very high humidity and temperatures back up to 40C. In these conditions, Emmanuil needs the oxygen machine for 16 hours a day.

Throughout his 52 year working life, Emmanuil contributed religiously to his insurance/pension fund OGA.
            As part of the "deal" with the vultures creditors, OGA was another of the pension funds that had its bank account simply emptied by the Papademos government and the contents handed over to "bond holders". As part of the same deal, Emmanuil had his pension reduced to 300€ a month.
            Yesterday, Emmanuils family gave a spine chilling interview on Rhodes radio. The day before, the supplier of the oxygen machine had turned up at their doorstep and removed the machine because of non payment by the insurance fund.

The local branch of OGA was contacted and simply stated that "they had no idea" and advised the family to contact head office in Athens. There is was confirmed that OGA had indeed "debt issues" with suppliers. These "issues" are affecting the working of the fund. A thinly vailed admission that Emmanuil is not the only one. In fact, we know he is just one of many, far too many.

When it was pointed out to the government spokesperson that this situation was nothing short of a death sentence for the pensioner, the answer was that there is nothing anybody can do about this. The country needs to pay its debts....Not at this price sir, no it doesn't!

Comment

by Ephilant

While we all know the country is in a mess, most people don't seem to realise just how much of a mess. And the remedies proposed are becoming more and more of the wall. After Papademos raided the entire amount of money in the social security and health funds to pay off some bond holders, there is now total government surprise at the practical results of this theft. Doctors in the hospitals of Serres, Komotini, Polygyro, and Kavala have walked out on the job after months of no pay. 10 of the 11 pathologists have left, others have simply decided to go and help people outside of the hospitals. Why? Treatment in the hospitals is going to be charged for, in order to recapitalise the funds. Some doctors in George Papanicolaou General Hospital, the Northern regions main hospital in Thessaloniki have not been paid for nearly 2 years, and have started legal action against the government.
              Meanwhile, that same government has decided to put a cap on the amount of money any patient can claim back per year from the insurance fund they have to subscribe to. The cap is set at 1500€. Some self employed people, including a friend lucky enough to still have his business, pay 720€ every 2 months as a compulsory contribution to these funds, meaning 4320€ a year. They are now being told that they can only retrieve 1500€ of that contribution. A doctor pointed out that a chronicaly ill patient, lets say a cancer patient, could easily reach the 1500 cap in 1 month if they are on e.g a chemo-treatment. Having an appendicitis removed costs more. Patients are somehow supposed to pay the difference themselves.

But all is well. Barosso has visited Athens, and told us that Europe is with us. All we need to do is pay a bit more, eat a little less, and don't get sick...

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
                I've a feeling your next thread is going to be "It Will Happen in Ireland"........

You Bet Your Life It Will

Comment

bond holders must be paid........
                  Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

i donno i think it already has happened in ireland...its just not wide scale reported yet.

there i was in ireland in 2007 having a heart attack and respiratory failure and the dr handed me my handbag and asked me to get him 40E from it before he could treat me????? ever try rooting in a handbag, not being able to breath and having a scale 8 out of 10 heart attack??? thank god i had the 40e

god help sick people in ireland is all i can say.!

Comment

I agree Helen god help the poor people living there. We are grateful you're still with us,with all the shit you went through. Bloody disgraceful , that's even illegal here, to ask for money before triaging you to assess your need for urgent treatment!

Comment

here too marie...this was in the emerg in the hosp in ennis..not a private drs surgery lol....

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
                          i donno i think it already has happened in ireland...its just not wide scale reported yet.

there i was in ireland in 2007 having a heart attack and respiratory failure and the dr handed me my handbag and asked me to get him 40E from it before he could treat me????? ever try rooting in a handbag, not being able to breath and having a scale 8 out of 10 heart attack??? thank god i had the 40e !
                          Thank God he didn't know you were a tourist...
                          Everything is self-evident.

Comment

bond holders must lose - they gambled and they lost, tough shit.

Comment

the uk borrowed 14 billion pounds of the bondholders last month.....

the government gave them their bond (their word of honour) that they will pay them back.........

that money is to keep the hospitas going, pay the pensions and people on social....and school teachers, and government workers, and the sick, and the invalided...and many many more things.....

if we don't pay them bak we will not be able to borrow......we will be like greece, in the shit.....

bondholders are not share holders or speculators......they are mostly pension funds and savings ........

they must be paid back........or we will have to call in the imf.......not a great idea.....
                              Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X