Maybe the wrong place to post this

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe the wrong place to post this

In 1956 Hungary had a rising. I made a box with Help the Hungarian Rising' hoping my pals might put their pennies in the box. Times were hard and none of us had many pennies but those of us who had put the pennies in the box

We were 10 or 11 years of age. I was 11. I am losing sleep and hair big time - did the Dominican nuns In Cabra West pass on our pennies or laugh at us in Corporation estates as being shite on their shoes

Like the pennies for the black babies you mean biddy? The guilt was awful for those of us who just didn't have it. My mam used to say tell them to fuck off I can't afford to feed my own white babies, I was imagining me telling sister magdalen that! Lol, the woman was the bitch from hell, very handy with the cane, god many a beating we got with that, most of all for being late for school, which we arrived in from Finglas, wasn't even our fault we were late, gobshites!
    Last edited by maire; 10-10-2012, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by maire View Post
      Like the pennies for the black babies you mean biddy? The guilt was awful for those of us who just didn't have it. My am used to say tell them to fuck off I can't afford to feed my own white babies, I was imagining me telling sister magdalen that! Lol, the woman was the bitch from hell, very handy with the cane, god many a beating we got with that, most of all for being late for school, which we arrived in from Finglas, wasn't even our fault we were late, gobshites!
      Where did you go school?

Comment

Gardiner street convent, in Gardiner street!

Comment

Originally posted by Red Biddy View Post
          In 1956 Hungary had a rising. I made a box with Help the Hungarian Rising' hoping my pals might put their pennies in the box. Times were hard and none of us had many pennies but those of us who had put the pennies in the box

We were 10 or 11 years of age. I was 11. I am losing sleep and hair big time - did the Dominican nuns In Cabra West pass on our pennies or laugh at us in Corporation estates as being shite on their shoes
          There were 4 Hungarian girls, refugees, at school in Cabra. They were brought over by the Red Cross and were boarders. 3 of them were sisters, Ivola, Bogalarka (?sp) and Melinda Tarijan. My Mam used to take them out for days during holidays but I did hear that their parents eventually made it to Ireland. Unfortunately I lost touch when I went away to school but I often wonder whatever becme of them

Comment

Originally posted by Womblemum View Post
            There were 4 Hungarian girls, refugees, at school in Cabra. They were brought over by the Red Cross and were boarders. 3 of them were sisters, Ivola, Bogalarka (?sp) and Melinda Tarijan. My Mam used to take them out for days during holidays but I did hear that their parents eventually made it to Ireland. Unfortunately I lost touch when I went away to school but I often wonder whatever becme of them
            They got the feck out of here as soon as they could....
            Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift.

Comment

Originally posted by sheelbee View Post
              One of my best friends in Morocco is a 76yr old Hungarian lady who escaped to England during the uprising but has lived in the village for the last 40odd yrs Sheels, she has never returned to Budapest since.

Comment

Originally posted by Womblemum View Post
                Away to school where, WM ?
                Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
                  Away to school where, WM ?
                  Tullow, Co Carlow cogs

Comment

Janey mack !!!!
                    Last edited by cogito; 11-10-2012, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by maire View Post
                      Gardiner street convent, in Gardiner street!
                      What year,s

Comment

Originally posted by sheelbee View Post
                        Do you remember the hungarian lad close to byrnes just down from you who came after the revolution?Nice fella ,real good soccer player.Was in the club.

Comment

I was reading about the Hungarian 1956 refugees and Ireland in the below thesis recently.

DCU ConnectedconnectedWhat if you could work towards a world-class online Irish University degree on your own schedule, from the comfort of your own home, in your own town, in any place in the world? Online learning with DCU Connected gives you remote access to all the resources of an established university: an innovative curriculum, renowned teachers and lively exchange with your fellow learners.

It was Ireland first major involvement dealing with refugees in the UN and it exposed how badly prepared we were in the end. Seems the nuns and priests got a shock when the refugees arrived because they believed Hungary was a Catholic country not just one of its many religions. Some refugees recalled that certain priests would visit the richer refugees because they could be assured of a brandy or two.

The whole project went belly up and we ended up doing a deal with Canada and the US to take the refugees that wanted to go to them off our hands once we paid the plane ticket. Not really a great chapter of Irish history.

Comment

a sad page in history.......

a stupid uprising, so soon after the end of ww2.........
                            Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Napper Tandy View Post
                              I was reading about the Hungarian 1956 refugees and Ireland in the below thesis recently.

DCU ConnectedconnectedWhat if you could work towards a world-class online Irish University degree on your own schedule, from the comfort of your own home, in your own town, in any place in the world? Online learning with DCU Connected gives you remote access to all the resources of an established university: an innovative curriculum, renowned teachers and lively exchange with your fellow learners.

230 pages !! I'll save it for the winter evenings... RTE had a documentary a year or two ago on the Hungarian's experiences here... might be available on their player or YouTube...

Comment

Working...
                              X