Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Imagine no possessions..I wonder if you can.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imagine no possessions..I wonder if you can.

Imagine no possessions. I can and it was called communism or living in a third world country. I'm sure John was referring perhaps to too many possessions even though he was not short on a few himself. In the video he certainly does not paint a picture of want.

Maybe he meant we should not own a house, a car, a TV, and imagine what would one want with a computer. If people had no possessions or a very limited number of them, then those with a few bob would have nothing to use their hard earned to buy except food / clothes, but not too many. Maybe they could give their money away to those a bit needer so they could buy those items. As we are a consumer society, if people don't buy goods like cars etc, then there would be less people working to make them, and and!
    today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Originally posted by silver spoon View Post
    Imagine no possessions. I can and it was called communism or living in a third world country. I'm sure John was referring perhaps to too many possessions even though he was not short on a few himself. In the video he certainly does not paint a picture of want.

Maybe he meant we should not own a house, a car, a TV, and imagine what would one want with a computer. If people had no possessions or a very limited number of them, then those with a few bob would have nothing to use their hard earned to buy except food / clothes, but not too many. Maybe they could give their money away to those a bit needer so they could buy those items. As we are a consumer society, if people don't buy goods like cars etc, then there would be less people working to make them, and and!
    I'd happily get rid of some of the possessions in my house...not mine, the kids'- playstation, games, etc.....they're all over the place.....and all the wires.....difficult to hoover round them......

Comment

I had no possessions for a while when I returned to Ireland
      it was strange but ok for a while, then people were very kind and donated things to me and very soon I had more than I needed

Comment

lol SS. The key word is "Imagine". John didn't say I am divesting myself of everything just asked that we maybe reassess what is really important in life. I have said many times re the current recession that it is a time for learning. A time to sit back and see what is essential to our well being and it is not a state of the art TV, the latest IPhone/Car or designer/cordinated furniture etc. I do not include those struggling to pay a mortgage on their house in this comment, although in some cases while cutting out the trimmings would give them more cash flow...but thats another argument.

Comment

womble okay the question back at you..how much possessions should we have.? Is having a computer ok.? Really we could do without it, and go back to how it used to be. John did say " imagine" I agree. In the song he also says no need for greed or hunger. Does that mean if we had less " things" we'd be more generous. I personally think we, as a society value " things" more than we ever did. Is there a person on the planet who hasn't got a mobile phone, and not just an ordinary one like mine but the latest whizz bang that can almost cook for you, so to speak.So this thread is about, do we possess, or are we posessed, or whatever you feel it to be.

Comment

We came to Coventry with 3 tea chests containing wedding presents, you know the usual 5 tea sets, 2 blankets, 2 sheets, 2 pillow cases (no pillows), 2 candlewick bedspreads etc and our clothes and we were made up

To think we could still live with these few bits is madness - we have what we need and not much else.

I think Lennon was singing this from his own view point - he was a very rich millionaire and maybe he was harking back to his childhood. Maybe I am wrong

Comment

I came to Aussieland in 1969,,with the cloths on me back,and a spare set,5 string Banjo,and 500 pounds,still got nuffin
              I'm a Freeborn Man of the Travellin' People

Comment

Originally posted by tommie View Post
                I came to Aussieland in 1969,,with the cloths on me back,and a spare set,5 string Banjo,and 500 pounds,still got nuffin
                I came to Oz in '72 with $30 and the cloths on me back and a motor cycle helmet, no musical instrument 'cept for a transistor radio and like you I still have not much more than a big morgage , a wife and two great kids. AND I wouldn't change a moment of it for quids.

Comment

I came to the states in 1973, my second time here, newly divorced with 4 kids ages 8, 6 , 5 and 11 months, 11 suitcases with all our possessions in them, I don't know what I was thinking, one day I'll tell you the story of my arrival in Tennessee, a story in itself! Lol

Comment

I have to laugh really when most people say they came to a country with the ass out of their pants, a few bob in the pocket, well I think that description fits many, many people, but the trick is, and always will be, get a job and save a bit , and if you are lucky you'll find the woman, man of your dreams, and you are away with the mixer.

We all I feel have excess "things", as we accumulate them as we go, it is only when we are moving really, that we see how much. I still don't understand John's message of a perfect world, because if we had no possessions we'd be really pissed off, or bored, or depressed. I'm talking about our normal things plus a few extras of course.

Comment

Possessions usually bring misery in a lot of ways Tony, the more stuff people have the more they want, things tie you to places, sometimes I'd love to sell everything and just travel around the world and see all the places on my bucket list. You are so right in what you say. Mind you I was wearing knickers with an arse in when I came over, in case of an accident, dontcha know!! Lol

Comment

Lucky you Maire with the knickers lol. As I said do we have posessions or are we posessed by them. It's true if we took half of them away we would not miss them. I can imagine you travelling around the states in your caravan, get your kicks on route 66...hee..hee.

Comment

The worst thing about accumulating possessions is that you are constantly needing new places to put them.......

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
                            The worst thing about accumulating possessions is that you are constantly needing new places to put them.......
                            De Clutter...De Clutter....De Clutter..
                            It is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Pammy View Post
                              De Clutter...De Clutter....De Clutter..
                              I will....I will....I will.......soon......

Comment

Working...
                              X