No announcement yet.

Imagine no religion..I'm sure you can!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imagine no religion..I'm sure you can!

Imagine no religion. Well I'll start with a few positives. There would be no ten commandments, so in effect no moral order, I suppose you could reason someone would come up with something similiar, but they would surely be accused of pushing their opinions on society. It would have taken a long , long time before society agreed to teaching the lower classes and giving them( us) an education, as we would surely be a threat to them.

People would not in many cases find solace from those wonderful " religious" people like St Francis & St Bernadatte who gave themselves completely to those in need, and showed how not to love posessions, but to love one another. If there was no Christ, there would be no Christmas, and all that evolves around it, no Easter, no St Patrick, that would be a disaster for all the drinkers all around this green world. Kings and queens would not have been crowned. People would not anyone to pray to, they would be offered no hope of a " heaven" or another place where their loved ones might go to. No priests, nuns or others who were willing in the majority to devote their lives to their community.
    Chances are, if there was no religion, man/ woman would find their own version, be it worshipping their favourite football team, or do something really crazy and start something like scientology, people descended from aliens.
    today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Tony I think at the moment no suicide bombers would be good. No heaven, no virgins then all you've got to look forward to is turning yerself into 70 kgs of mince.
    Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

I dunno....but civilization seemed to have done pretty well before Christianity and indeed, Allah. Granted, man, as a species, seemed to have a need to look to a higher power whether it was in the form of the sun, monkey, thunder etc. so in the genetic makeup there seems to be a predisposition to lay off stuff on someone else.
      Also, the Christian festivals only reflect the "holy" times of previous worship. According to astronomers and indeed to farming habits, Jesus was born in September, not December. December was chosen because so many people already had special days then due to the winter solstice. In fact, Astronomers have pinpointed Sept 15th as the specific day due to the appearence of a particularly bright comet that would have been in the sky over the middle east then.
      Last edited by Womblemum; 28-10-2012, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Surely it was the human ability to use our imagination that created religion since we lived in caves? If we had no religion wouldn't we have no imagination?

Comment

dont see the link between religion and imagination Napper, although you could be right given the fairy stories meted out down the centuries!

Comment

Originally posted by Napper Tandy View Post
            Surely it was the human ability to use our imagination that created religion since we lived in caves? If we had no religion wouldn't we have no imagination?
            More likely if we didn't have imagination, we wouldn't have religion.
            Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by Napper Tandy View Post
              Was it Karl Marx who said , religion was the opium of the masses, it seems in the twenty first century other drugs have taken over the role of all religion"s, except the very human one of greed which has created our present un caring world,
              May You Be In Heaven Before The Devil Knows You're Dead!

Comment

Originally posted by olddub View Post
                Was it Karl Marx who said , religion was the opium of the masses, it seems in the twenty first century other drugs have taken over the role of all religion"s, except the very human one of greed which has created our present un caring world,
                I don't think we've ever had a particularly "caring" world OldDub......the difference is, in the past it was the ruling classes who did the "uncaring"....the rest of the people were too powerless and too poor to "care".....their focus was on merely surviving.

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
                  I don't think we've ever had a particularly "caring" world OldDub......the difference is, in the past it was the ruling classes who did the "uncaring"....the rest of the people were too powerless and too poor to "care".....their focus was on merely surviving.
                  I do not agree KM, in other times many wealthy and ruling class people were great philanthropists and charitable human beings,also from my own experiences because people were poor it did not in any way mean they were un caring, The common denominator in this was religion , all societies has to have rules and where there are no rules or religion society will break down..poor people survived by the compassion of all the members both poor and rich,greed is the destroyer of societies not religion.

Comment

I do not agree KM, in other times many wealthy and ruling class people were great philanthropists and charitable human beings,also from my own experiences because people were poor it did not in any way mean they were un caring, The common denominator in this was religion , all societies has to have rules and where there are no rules or religion society will break down..poor people survived by the compassion of all the members both poor and rich,greed is the destroyer of societies not religion.
                    Yes, I was probably a bit unfair in that post.......it's the cynic in me......and I'm a bit grouchy at the moment!

Comment

Yes, I was probably a bit unfair in that post.......it's the cynic in me......and I'm a bit grouchy at the moment!
                      To be cynical is something everyone is capable of KM,,so cheer up , life"s too short ,and be like the other marx ..... groucho .

Comment

To be cynical is something everyone is capable of KM,,so cheer up , life"s too short ,and be like the other marx ..... groucho .
                        I'll try......

Comment

I like your thinking olddub. Without religion man would have no reason to feel guilty, so to speak about exploiting his fellow man/ woman. It was religions that brought about schools & hospitals and in a lot of cases spoke out in favour of who were being trodden, and still do. Compassion is the key.
                          today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by silver spoon View Post
                            I like your thinking olddub. Without religion man would have no reason to feel guilty, so to speak about exploiting his fellow man/ woman. It was religions that brought about schools & hospitals and in a lot of cases spoke out in favour of who were being trodden, and still do. Compassion is the key.
                            So, if it wasn't for religion making people feel "guilty" no-one would give a feck
                            about anyone else? And what about all the atrocities carried out in the name
                            of religion? Mary Tudor burning Protestants, Cromwell's activities in Ireland (I
                            can't remember exactly what he said but I'm sure God came into it).....I don't
                            think either of those had any guilty qualms about their actions......and they're
                            just a couple of examples.

Comment

So, if it wasn't for religion making people feel "guilty" no-one would give a feck
                              about anyone else? And what about all the atrocities carried out in the name
                              of religion? Mary Tudor burning Protestants, Cromwell's activities in Ireland (I
                              can't remember exactly what he said but I'm sure God came into it).....I don't
                              think either of those had any guilty qualms about their actions......and they're
                              just a couple of examples.
                              These examples of atrocities you cite were examples of mans inhumanity to man, religion was the method they used to further their own greedy ambitions, greed does not need religion to thrive, stalin , hitler , cesesceau, pol pot, gaddafi, none of these could be classed as good examples of a compassionate religious human beings, i forgot elizabeth 1st who also burned fellow christians ,for evil to suceed it only takes one man to do nothing, compassionate religious people are that man and woman,.....

Comment

Working...
                              X