Atlantic College...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atlantic College...

Went there a long time ago - late 70s... was training to be a marine radio officer. It was located in Leeson Park... anyone know whatever became of it ?
    Everything is self-evident.

It ran for a few years after Fitzy passed away by Paddy, it was sold , the old Belini Toze D F out front went to the scrap merchants ,completly gutted and sold as apartments .fond memories . Dot Dot Dot Dah Dah Dah Dot Dot Dot

Best regards

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
      Went there a long time ago - late 70s... was training to be a marine radio officer. It was located in Leeson Park... anyone know whatever became of it ?
      Was only talking about it last night with my present wife, I had a brother that attended Atlantic college I would guess in the late 50's early 60's..........it was either a bad college or my brother was a bad pupil.
      Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy B View Post
        It ran for a few years after Fitzy passed away by Paddy, it was sold , the old Belini Toze D F out front went to the scrap merchants ,completly gutted and sold as apartments .fond memories . Dot Dot Dot Dah Dah Dah Dot Dot Dot

Best regards
        Yeah... fond memories... ._ ._ ._

Fitzy was fairly old when I was there... I never made it to sea either - did the City and Guilds and went to work with Pye.
        Last edited by cogito; 04-11-2012, 02:34 AM.

Comment

Yeah... fond memories... ._ ._ ._

Fitzy was fairly old when I was there... I never made it to sea either - did the City and Guilds and went to work with Pye.
          Forgive me Cogs for being pedantic but see hear does not sound like sea faring !!!!!!!
          Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift.

Comment

, the old Belini Toze D F out front went to the scrap merchants...
            It can stay there... I remember walking by it every morning.

Similar crossed loop hf direction finder...

dirfind.jpg

Comment

Met many blokes over the years in the electronics game who had gone to Atlantic College.
              Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by boxman View Post
                Met many blokes over the years in the electronics game who had gone to Atlantic College.
                Kevin Street hadn't got it's act together at that stage... I ended up going there at nights in later years... didn't care for it as much as Atlantic... feckers gave out if you smoked during lectures....

Comment

Kevin Street hadn't got it's act together at that stage... I ended up going there at nights in later years... didn't care for it as much as Atlantic... feckers gave out if you smoked during lectures....
                  The amount of times I fell asleep during lectures in Kevin St. Bloody fluorescent lights with a 50 Hz drone!
                  Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Memories. Light the corners of my mind , the way we were

1970 so full of ambition, going to sea , making big dollors , it all disapeared during the Suez crises and the introduction of the transitor , we were scholed in valves , they never told us they were obsolete .
                    But it served me well here in Oz , got a job with Philips on the strenght of Atlantic, never looked back

Comment

Memories. Light the corners of my mind , the way we were

1970 so full of ambition, going to sea , making big dollors , it all disapeared during the Suez crises and the introduction of the transitor , we were scholed in valves , they never told us they were obsolete .
                      But it served me well here in Oz , got a job with Philips on the strenght of Atlantic, never looked back
                      Fair play to you Andy... I spent some time working on radio equipment that was half and half - valve and 'solid state'... I never figured out my anodes from cathodes - though I gave them healthy respect after melting a few screwdrivers looking for dry solder joints...

The funny thing is - transistors have been and gone since too - ones you can see anyhow... and to be honest - so have radio technicians... or at least those who carry an Avo meter and soldering iron... nowadays it's just a laptop...

And Radio Officers on ships... they probably have an app on their Samsungs that replaces everything we learned...

Comment

Fair play to you Andy... I spent some time working on radio equipment that was half and half - valve and 'solid state'... I never figured out my anodes from cathodes - though I gave them healthy respect after melting a few screwdrivers looking for dry solder joints...

The funny thing is - transistors have been and gone since too - ones you can see anyhow... and to be honest - so have radio technicians... or at least those who carry an Avo meter and soldering iron... nowadays it's just a laptop...

And Radio Officers on ships... they probably have an app on their Samsungs that replaces everything we learned...
                        an avo with shunts......

threw them in the skip when i cleaned out my house two years ago....
                        Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

i have just bought an arduino board and all the kit for my ten year old grandsons birthday.....

it is a great way to get into electronics and programming.....
                          Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
                            an avo with shunts......

threw them in the skip when i cleaned out my house two years ago....
                            Avo 8. Great piece of kit... I still have one somewhere

Avo_8.jpg

Comment

I hav an Avo8 somewhere in the house. Probably buried under a mountain of Christmas shite, must dig it out.
                              Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Working...
                              X