Dublin's MPs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dublin's MPs...

Following the Act of Union and the abolition of the Irish Parliament in Dublin in 1800, the newly formed United Kingdom of Great Britain And Ireland allocated 100 seats for Irish MPs in the House Of Commons.

Any Irish (or English) catholic subject of this new kingdom who possessed the necessary wealth or status to be elected to Westminster was faced with having to take the following oath on the bible before being allowed to take his seat...

‘the sacrifice of the mass, and the invocation of the Blessed Virgin Mary, and other saints, as now practised in the Church of Rome, are impious and idolatrous’....
    Last edited by cogito; 17-12-2012, 09:27 PM.
    Everything is self-evident.

For a primarily protestant city, this was not seen as a hindrance to liberty, democracy or progress... not by the majority anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
      For a primarily protestant city, this was not seen as a hindrance to liberty, democracy or progress... not by the majority anyway.
      cogs...did that apply to english catholics..???
      Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
        cogs...did that apply to english catholics..???

Any Irish (or English) catholic subject of this new kingdom who possessed the necessary wealth or status to be elected to Westminster was faced with having to take the following oath on the bible before being allowed to take his seat...
        Yes...

Comment

Yes...
          they, did not like catholics.....

Comment

Is there a list of the original Irish Catholic MPs Cogs?

Comment

Originally posted by Napper Tandy View Post
              Is there a list of the original Irish Catholic MPs Cogs?
              In case people think I'm some kind of religious nutter I'd intended entering something on all MPs elected to Westminster between the Act of Union in 1800 and 1885 in the constituency of Dublin City when the constituencies were changed...

Dublin City had two sitting MPs - a third was elected by Trinity College... there were three catholics elected in just under a hundred years - they were (hope I haven't missed any) ...

Daniel O'Connell
              John Reynolds
              Sir Dominick John Corrigan

Comment

In case people think I'm some kind of religious nutter I'd intended entering something on all MPs elected to Westminster between the Act of Union in 1800 and 1885 in the constituency of Dublin City when the constituencies were changed...

Dublin City had two sitting MPs - a third was elected by Trinity College... there were three catholics elected in just under a hundred years - they were (hope I haven't missed any) ...

Daniel O'Connell
                John Reynolds
                Betcha none of them was p.m. or chancellor of the exchequer lol..........p.s are you telling me that the great daniel o,connell took this oath?
                Last edited by tolka1; 18-12-2012, 01:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tolka1 View Post
                  Betcha none of them was p.m. or chancellor of the exchequer lol..........p.s are you telling me that the great daniel o,connell took this oath?
                  No he didn't need to. The Emancipation Act changed all this and if I'm not mistaken it wasn't just Catholics that couldn't sit in Parliament because of this restriction was it not only Church of England members who could qualify?
                  Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by tolka1 View Post
                    No catholic ever took the Oath... it was removed in 1829 largely thanks to O'Connell... what was termed Catholic Emancipation...

Comment

No catholic ever took the Oath... it was removed in 1829 largely thanks to O'Connell... what was termed Catholic Emancipation...
                      There you go, that assignment came in handy in the end!
                      Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

the english civil war..(very wrongly called that)...... was about religion, and it still has an affect on ireland to this very day.....

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
                          the english civil war..(very wrongly called that)...... was about religion, and it still has an affect on ireland to this very day.....
                          Indeed... quite a few of us are still going around with roundheads...

Comment

Indeed... quite a few of us are still going around with roundheads...
                            yes cogs....i have noticed...........

but the roundheads knew what side they were on.......unlike the irish....
                            Last edited by quinner; 18-12-2012, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Daniel O'Connell
                              John Reynolds
                              Who was John Reynolds?

I found a Wiki page for Sir Dominick John Corrigan.

Comment

Working...
                              X