Experimental run of motor buses 1914

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Experimental run of motor buses 1914

Bit of an odd request, but Fitzy or someone else with Dublin Bus knowledge might be able to help me.
    I'm trying to find out a bit more about "an experimental run by a fleet of eight
    motor buses between O'Connell Bridge and the Point Depot" (Padraig Yeates,
    from his book "A City in Wartime- Dublin 1914-18"- very good book btw). This
    took place on 26th July 1914, same day as the Howth gun-runnings and the Bachelor's Walk shootings. I don't know if this was a one-off or part of a series of such experimental runs.
    If anyone knows anything about this, or where I could get further info (can't
    find anything on google) I'd be very grateful, though I know it's a long shot.

Are there any footnotes, endnotes or references in Padraig's book ?
    Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
      Are there any footnotes, endnotes or references in Padraig's book ?
      Not about the buses.......he just mentions it in passing, sort of thing.....

Comment

only thing I could find

Comment

had already seen that.....thanks anyway Bigs.

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
            had already seen that.....thanks anyway Bigs.
            Hi Katie... if this was a one off event - and it appears that it was - then your best recourse would be to check online editions of the daily newspapers in and around the 26th July 1914... Padraig got his info from somewhere - most likely the newspaper archives - if not some offline source...

Comment

Hi Katie... if this was a one off event - and it appears that it was - then your best recourse would be to check online editions of the daily newspapers in and around the 26th July 1914... Padraig got his info from somewhere - most likely the newspaper archives - if not some offline source...
              Yes, I was thinking that.....thanks Cogs.

Comment

Bit of an odd request, but Fitzy or someone else with Dublin Bus knowledge might be able to help me.
                I'm trying to find out a bit more about "an experimental run by a fleet of eight
                motor buses between O'Connell Bridge and the Point Depot" (Padraig Yeates,
                from his book "A City in Wartime- Dublin 1914-18"- very good book btw). This
                took place on 26th July 1914, same day as the Howth gun-runnings and the Bachelor's Walk shootings. I don't know if this was a one-off or part of a series of such experimental runs.
                If anyone knows anything about this, or where I could get further info (can't
                find anything on google) I'd be very grateful, though I know it's a long shot.
                sorry I cant help you Katie , havent got anything on that trial run , one of the tramway companys closed that year and the railways where taking over other companys , most trams where horse or electric , except for the Blessinton steam tram , only thing I can think of is that they where trying out a motor tram that may have been put aside because of the war , motor trams as far as I know didnt start operating till about 1920 , other thing might be like when I was on the buses sometimes we had trial runs on new type buses such as the bendy bus , I will keep looking for some info for you

Comment

Early Bus Services Dublin Area

Hi,

There were several bus services in Dublin prior to the established bus services which were began by the Dublin United Tramways Company (DUTC) in 1926.

Among those are the Mercury Motor Omnibus Company which ran 3 double deck buses from the Quays to Rathmines circa 1909. I have photos of two of the Mercury vehicles and posted these on Garaiste several years ago.
                  These vehicles began life working in London in 1906.

Another early operator was the Tower Bus Company if you google this you will find there is a webpage including photos.

The first provincial buses began running between Dublin and Garristown in 1904 again there are photos of this bus.

I suggest you read Great Northern Railway of Ireland Road Motor Services 1925-1958 by Sam Simpson publisher Venture of Glossop,there is a lot of information in that publication.
                  The Gilbert library should have a copy for consultation.

Hope this provides some assistance. Not specifically aware of operators in 1914-16 era but I am sure they were extant.

S.

Comment

Thanks Fitzy and Busman for taking the time to look into this and reply......it's
                    just for a bit of fiction I'm in the process of writing,set between 1914 and 1916,
                    and thought a mention of the bus trial would add a bit of authenticity, if it was
                    a major event people would have taken notice of.....if you do happen to find out
                    anymore about it, I'd love to know....otherwise, I will research the newspapers
                    from that time and see if it brings up anything. Thanks again.

Comment

Thanks Fitzy and Busman for taking the time to look into this and reply......it's
                      just for a bit of fiction I'm in the process of writing,set between 1914 and 1916,
                      and thought a mention of the bus trial would add a bit of authenticity, if it was
                      a major event people would have taken notice of.....if you do happen to find out
                      anymore about it, I'd love to know....otherwise, I will research the newspapers
                      from that time and see if it brings up anything. Thanks again.

a big event in dublin....would more than likely be in the english national newspapers.....
                      Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
                        a big event in dublin....would more than likely be in the english national newspapers.....
                        Well, I don't think it would have been that big an event, but might have excited
                        some local interest.

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
                          The big event that day was the guns been landed at Howth... followed by the shooting dead of four civilians by the Kings Own Scottish Borderers on Batchelors Walk... those events - especially the latter - certainly did make the British nationals...

Comment

The big event that day was the guns been landed at Howth... followed by the shooting dead of four civilians by the Kings Own Scottish Borderers on Batchelors Walk... those events - especially the latter - certainly did make the British nationals...
                            thanks cogs....i was not aware of the date.....would they not have made the evening papers....???
                            Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X