German Atrocities in WWI & WWII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German Atrocities in WWI & WWII

On August 4, 1914, the German Army marched into neutral Belgium en route to what was hoped would be Paris and victory. By violating Belgian neutrality, Germany displayed disregard for international treaties and eased the entry of Britain into World War I. Reports emanating from Belgium and northern France during the months of August-September 1914, described German troops as engaged in wholesale murder of civilians with no discernible provocation. Accounts of mass executions, rapes, mutilations, and widespread arson helped mobilize support for the war in France and Britain, while simultaneously damaging the standing of Germany in neutral countries. The German official line during the war--and many years thereafter--contended that German forces encountered vicious franc-tireur (i.e. guerilla) combat, and that Belgian authorities were themselves to blame for encouraging their civilians to engage in "illegal warfare." Echoes of this official line could be found as late as the 1990s in such respected works as Thomas Nipperdey's Deutsche Geschichte and in the 1996 edition of Brockhaus.

In their impressively-researched and sophisticated German Atrocities 1914: A History of Denial, John Horne and Alan Kramer aim to ascertain what exactly happened in Belgium and northern France during the first two months of World War I. They seek to give an authoritative answer as to why 6,500 civilians were killed by the German Army during the invasion, and to analyze the diverse meanings bestowed over the past nine decades on this important chapter of modern history. As the title suggests, this study does not vacillate amid competing claims: it seeks to adjudicate between narratives and accomplishes it with conceptual attentiveness, rarely found in books of such empirical precision.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

Some of the most brutal and horrifying atrocities of the Nazis at war are laid bare in secretly recorded conversations of captured German soldiers published in Britain for the first time today.

The prisoners, mostly ordinary soldiers, sailors and airmen as opposed to SS hardliners, are overheard bragging about shooting women and children for sport as well as raping and slaughtering innocent civilians.

But unbeknown to them, British and U.S. intelligence were secretly eavesdropping on their private chats.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2K3lF5rYK
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

Comment

War crimes of the Wehrmacht were those carried out by the German armed forces during World War II. While the principal perpetrators of the Holocaust amongst German armed forces were the Nazi German 'political' armies (the SS-Totenkopfverbände and particularly the Einsatzgruppen), the regular armed forces represented by the Wehrmacht committed war crimes of their own, particularly on the Eastern Front in the war against the Soviet Union.[3][4] The Nuremberg Trials at the end of World War II judged that the Wehrmacht was not an inherently criminal organization, but that it had committed crimes during the course of the war.

Comment

have these atrocities been denied by the present german administration.....?????

the conquistadores carried out terrible atrocities....

alexander the great was not a great liker of prisoners of war.....

i fact, history tells of atrocities by most peoples and nations.....including the british empire.....
        Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
          have these atrocities been denied by the present german administration.....?????

the conquistadores carried out terrible atrocities....

alexander the great was not a great liker of prisoners of war.....

i fact, history tells of atrocities by most peoples and nations.....including the british empire.....
          I'm just hoping that you are not a Holocaust denier too quinner.

Comment

Originally posted by riposte View Post
            I'm just hoping that you are not a Holocaust denier too quinner.
            i know you live in hope rip......i spent a few years living not far from belsen....though not an actual extermination camp...i got the message....

just trying to get yours now......
            Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Working...
            X