monthly wages...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• monthly wages...

has the introduction of monthly wage payments encouraged people to get into debts they cannot afford......????
    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Originally posted by quinner View Post
    has the introduction of monthly wage payments encouraged people to get into debts they cannot afford......????
    doubt it and it saves on banking fees.

Comment

I found it difficult when changed from weekly to monthly pay the first time, and was offered a loan to tide me over, I refused the loan as I thought it would be difficult to repay.

But knew plenty people who struggled as they did not know how to budget and spend the months money in about 2 weeks

doing a monthly shop is not always ideal as the food can be eaten quicker or sometimes wasted

Comment

Originally posted by bigby View Post
        I found it difficult when changed from weekly to monthly pay the first time, and was offered a loan to tide me over, I refused the loan as I thought it would be difficult to repay.

But knew plenty people who struggled as they did not know how to budget and spend the months money in about 2 weeks

doing a monthly shop is not always ideal as the food can be eaten quicker or sometimes wasted

i have never been paid monthly......(until i retired, but i have no outgoing debts).....

i was thinking that as most debts are paid monthly, the amount out of a months pay, would seem small compared to a weekly pay.....

Comment

Originally posted by tinky View Post

banking fees.....????

are they expensive in ireland....

i have never noticed banking fees.....if there is any in the bank i use......

Comment

the people who I knew on weekly pay did not have bank accounts, the local shops always changed the cheques, if they did not have enough cash you left the cheque and went back the next day to collect the money

most would then pay off bills weekly at the post office
            a fiver off the electricity a tenner off the gas, etc, then money for the paper man and milk man and insurance man

put some off the Christmas Club

so a big change for them when they had to open a bank account, some used the credit union
            holiday pay was difficult also, to have a months money was a lot of temptation

Comment

yes there are banking fees here

I noticed when I was in London that there was a charge of 3 pound on ATM machines to withdraw money, and another charge at home for the transaction

Comment

Originally posted by bigby View Post
                the people who I knew on weekly pay did not have bank accounts, the local shops always changed the cheques, if they did not have enough cash you left the cheque and went back the next day to collect the money

most would then pay off bills weekly at the post office
                a fiver off the electricity a tenner off the gas, etc, then money for the paper man and milk man and insurance man

put some off the Christmas Club

so a big change for them when they had to open a bank account, some used the credit union
                holiday pay was difficult also, to have a months money was a lot of temptation

i can see a big change then......

i was thinking more of debts rather than utility bills.......

re holidaypay......we could have it paid all together or paid in weekly.....

i agree it would be a temptation.....especially to spend at the start of a holiday...

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
                  My first job paid me a monthly salary of £32 guineas. During my working life only ever had one job that paid weekly and can't say it made any difference. Maybe if I'd been used to weekly pay and then changed I may have felt hey...I've got a lump sum!

Comment

Originally posted by tinky View Post
                    Great world eh? Banks charging you to get your own money.
                    There are banks here that you dont pay any fees for anything as long as you meet their requirements but they still make money off you as long as your money is in their bank.

Comment

Reminds me of my poor little paul when he was about 5...he wanted his own bank account....so me him and his jar of pennys went to the local bank...and opened an account......he was delighted when the jar of pennies counted out to be $35 he thought he was rich.......his pocket money was $5 a week for little jobs he did.....and the next week off we went to the bank to put $2.50 in ...he was learning responsibility with money right......and to my utter dismay i saw his previous balance of $35 had dropped to $32.....(bank charges) and hes crying..the bank robbed my money mom.....big fight and the bank gave him back his money cos they shouldnt have charged interest on a childs account...but by god did my son learn about banks at an early age......hes very sensible with money....still doesnt believe in banks.....i think he has his cash in his mattress hehehe...

Comment

Working...
                      X