State paid firm €89m to house asylum seekers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State paid firm €89m to house asylum seekers

A COMPANY has been paid over €89m by the State in a decade to provide accommodation to asylum seekers.

The Co Meath-based Mosney firm received the payment for providing accommodation for asylum seekers at the former holiday camp at Mosney, which can house 600 people. The firm is led by Co Louth businessman Phelim McCloskey.

In new information provided to Deputy Maureen O'Sullivan (Independent), Justice Minister Alan Shatter said the State had paid €655.5m to firms and individuals to provide accommodation to asylum seekers between 2000 and 2010.

The figures show that along with Mosney, three other firms received payments of over €40m during that period.

MORE.......
    'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

I cannot understand why it takes so long to process these claims for asylum. Because it is taking so long asylum seekers are making this their home anyway and who can blame them. I know there are some bogus claims but if the process was a bit quicker they could be dealt with.

Comment

Originally posted by jeangenie View Post
      I cannot understand why it takes so long to process these claims for asylum. Because it is taking so long asylum seekers are making this their home anyway and who can blame them. I know there are some bogus claims but if the process was a bit quicker they could be dealt with.
      What is wrong with these people, we have thousands leaving this country and these people want to stay here......Is there something we are missing ?
      Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift.

Comment

Originally posted by sheelbee View Post
        What is wrong with these people, we have thousands leaving this country and these people want to stay here......Is there something we are missing ?
        They want to be near to you and me

Comment

Scandalous!! There are many of these people have been in Mosney for years. There should be a time limit on the time for processing paperwork and if not completed in that time frame than return them to wherever they from or give them a temporary work permit and make them earn their way. I think if that was the way many of them would return to where they from. For every 1 person who is a true asylum seeker there are 10 who are economic refugees. I

Comment

I agree, it is too slow of a process and in fairness a lot just want to get into the communities and work and live.

Comment

I think it's obscene to spend that kind of money on people from foreign countries when Irish youths are having to leave their families to seek work abroad, not to mention the homeless people in ireland, and Irish families living in unfavorable conditions. I think a lot of that money is being mishandled!

Comment

Originally posted by maire View Post
                I think a lot of that money is being mishandled!
                Tell us something we don't know maire

Comment

is that the old butlins camp??

Comment

Originally posted by Womblemum View Post
                    Tell us something we don't know maire
                    Ok , I didn't really give up sex for lent! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by maire View Post
                      Ok , I didn't really give up sex for lent! Lol
                      ha ha ha ha ha ha

Comment

roflmao at marie lol..

listen heres the thing..i paid exorbitant rates to get into bloomin butlins.....and now asylum seekers can stay there for free? marie, get on your bike and meet me there...they have little boats and things, and granny contests...and theyd pay us to be there hehe......im all for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
                          roflmao at marie lol..

listen heres the thing..i paid exorbitant rates to get into bloomin butlins.....and now asylum seekers can stay there for free? marie, get on your bike and meet me there...they have little boats and things, and granny contests...and theyd pay us to be there hehe......im all for it.
                          be Jasus,,I'm movin' back,,and claimin' asylum
                          I'm a Freeborn Man of the Travellin' People

Comment

Come at the same time as me and marie tommie lol...wed have a great time and they have singing contests too .....

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
                              Come at the same time as me and marie tommie lol...wed have a great time and they have singing contests too .....
                              Just have whip round for the cash,,on me way,,one way ticket
                              I'm a Freeborn Man of the Travellin' People

Comment

Working...
                              X