Did Jesus exist.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did Jesus exist.?

We have debated the catholic question ad nauseum, so I would like your opinion on whether Jesus existed. If not why not. If yes of course it brings with it all the questions that arise.
    today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Originally posted by silver spoon View Post
    We have debated the catholic question ad nauseum, so I would like your opinion on whether Jesus existed. If not why not. If yes of course it brings with it all the questions that arise.
    Interesting thread Tony. Apart from the Bible, what historical evidence is there that he existed? I've always assumed he must have done, but only because of the Bible and what I've been told.....are there other sources?

Comment

i think he's also mentioned in the Koran

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
        i think he's also mentioned in the Koran
        Katie;That may be so,but nevertheless, this isn't scientific proof.My own personal
        belief is,that he did.

Comment

This subject may be read HERE in another thread started by SS.

I withdrew from that discussion after requests, and from at least one member who it seems was having their faith weakened, and not as one poster who shall be nameless thought that someone who responded to my arguements against the existance of a Jesus had "set rashers back a bit".

I don't think after engaging in the aforemenioned thread, that I need say anything in this one.

I'd be merely repeating myself.
          'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

the person called jesus (jehovah) probably did exist...........

there was i believe, many anti roman factions about at that time.....many of them would have been caught crucified.......

the claim that he was the son of GOD may have just been a way to try to escape the crucifixion........that claim may have backfired, the roman may have then made a bigeer deal of the event.....

of course he would have been displayed in public (that practice was in force until recent times)....

he then became the focus of freedom in the empire....given a God-like status........and the rest is history.......
            Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

i hadn't realised there was already a thread in existence......

Comment

Me either Katie. I like to think of Jesus as a real person who was a great humanitarian , and who decided to make rules in life, ie the 10 commandments, now if you think about it the commandments are a really great example of how to live life, IMHO, if we all followed those "rules" life would be a lot better. Not sure about the" son of God" bit , none of that ever made much sense to me, I can't wrap my head around that. I think this man called Jesus, if indeed he did exist, was a person with great faith and was charismatic to a point that he really did heal the sick and dying merely by giving those people faith in themselves, and they do say faith can move mountains!

Comment

Of course he existed, we have a picture of him.
                  Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift.

Comment

I would not get into an arguement on the historical writings or lack thereof in relation to Jesus but my own gut feeling is that a man, named Jesus, may have been around at the time in question. In my mind he may have been a very charismatic individual (think Martin Luther King) and as such became well known in the middle east so storys grew about what he was capable of and were added to with each telling. We have faith healers today that people swear by so maybe he was one too. That he was the son of god???? No, this I do not believe but is does make for a really good story!

Comment

Originally posted by sheelbee View Post
                      Of course he existed, we have a picture of him.
                      Yep, with his heart on the outside! Lol

Comment

Originally posted by maire View Post
                        Yep, with his heart on the outside! Lol
                        lol...we'll all find out sooner than later..
                        Yesterday is history, Tomorrow is mystery, Today is a gift.

Comment

Originally posted by sheelbee View Post
                          lol...we'll all find out sooner than later..
                          will ya come back and tell me????

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
                            Interesting thread Tony. Apart from the Bible, what historical evidence is there that he existed? I've always assumed he must have done, but only because of the Bible and what I've been told.....are there other sources?
                            Originally posted by Ed O'Gorman View Post
                            Katie;That may be so,but nevertheless, this isn't scientific proof.My own personal
                            belief is,that he did.
                            Of course Jesus existed & i grew up believing that & its evident from the Bible. I still have that belief today & will tell my girls about him but Roisin is already aware of him.
                            UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

Who knows?????
                              I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
                              Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

Working...
                              X