Irelands Nazi's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irelands Nazi's

Does Ireland owe the Jewish people an apology for harbouring Nazi war criminals post ww2?

I find it difficult to wrap my mind around the fact that a supposedly neutral country like ireland would provide a safe haven for these criminals, but they did allow them in and protect them.

Its horrific and all things being just an apology would be the way to go...do you think it will happen?

Comment

Originally posted by suebyrne View Post
      Does Ireland owe the Jewish people an apology for harbouring Nazi war criminals post ww2?

OMG thats shocking can hardly believe it but the facts are there ...

Comment

Originally posted by Deirdre View Post
        OMG thats shocking can hardly believe it but the facts are there ...

Yes! And to add insult to injury.The blind git De Valera sent a sympathy
        message on Hitler's death.Some Christian.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed O'Gorman View Post
          Maybe it's time Micheál Martin and Fianna Fail apologised to the Irish nation... for Dev.
          Last edited by cogito; 26-03-2013, 12:58 AM.
          Everything is self-evident.

Comment

The link is just Cathal O'Shannon doing a trailer - is the whole program on YouTube ?

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
              The link is just Cathal O'Shannon doing a trailer - is the whole program on YouTube ?
              The whole programme is on ytube in five parts under a search heading of Irelands Nazis.

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
                I find it difficult to wrap my mind around the fact that a supposedly neutral country like ireland would provide a safe haven for these criminals, but they did allow them in and protect them.

Its horrific and all things being just an apology would be the way to go...do you think it will happen?
                I would like to think it will come through time, but going on other apologies from church and state that took so long, i think it is a long time away, and perhaps for political reasons its not something that they would want to be highlighting now.

Comment

I would like to think it will come through time, but going on other apologies from church and state that took so long, i think it is a long time away, and perhaps for political reasons its not something that they would want to be highlighting now.
                  On the question of an apology to the Jews for the harbouring of these people, I don't know if its cut and dry for the State to go down that road... Of the Nazis identified in Cathal O'Shannon's clip, one individual stands out and that is Andrija Artuković. He was responsible for more atrocities then the rest of them put together by a long shot - he was Croatian - not German - and as Interior Minister in the Nazi puppet state of Croatia his Ustase organisation was responsible for the deaths of tens of thousands of Croatian Jews - and hundreds of thousands of Serbs. Should we not therefore apologise to the Serbs too?

Furthermore - though he lived here for just two years under a false passport (probably supplied by friends in the Catholic Church) he moved to Los Angeles and lived under his own name for 38 years... maybe the Americans owe an apology too. At least they eventually extradited him to Yugoslavia in 1986.

Ireland had some shameful policies at that time... the reluctance to accept Jewish children as refugees - the Hitler condolence visit by Dev documented in an earlier post... but I don't believe an apology as suggested in the OP would be valid when all involved are long dead - and would serve no useful purpose.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed O'Gorman View Post
                    The good ole hero of Boland's does it again.......disgusting.
                    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

does anybody really believe....that dev was sad when herr hitler died..???
                      Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
                        On the question of an apology to the Jews for the harbouring of these people, I don't know if its cut and dry for the State to go down that road... Of the Nazis identified in Cathal O'Shannon's clip, one individual stands out and that is Andrija Artuković. He was responsible for more atrocities then the rest of them put together by a long shot - he was Croatian - not German - and as Interior Minister in the Nazi puppet state of Croatia his Ustase organisation was responsible for the deaths of tens of thousands of Croatian Jews - and hundreds of thousands of Serbs. Should we not therefore apologise to the Serbs too?

Furthermore - though he lived here for just two years under a false passport (probably supplied by friends in the Catholic Church) he moved to Los Angeles and lived under his own name for 38 years... maybe the Americans owe an apology too. At least they eventually extradited him to Yugoslavia in 1986.

Ireland had some shameful policies at that time... the reluctance to accept Jewish children as refugees - the Hitler condolence visit by Dev documented in an earlier post... but I don't believe an apology as suggested in the OP would be valid when all involved are long dead - and would serve no useful purpose.
                        Dev was the greatest friend the church ever had, and if he and his matey McQ weren't aware, I'm an African. It was 'just' two years too long for scum like Artuković.

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
                          does anybody really believe....that dev was sad when herr hitler died..???
                          Off track a bit here....but, if Dev knew what Herr Hit had in mind for neutral countries after he took over.....he might have helped the Brits a lot more than he did.

Comment

It seems as if a load of them set up camp here, i was always of the opinion that they mostly went to south america, interesting reading below,

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                              Off track a bit here....but, if Dev knew what Herr Hit had in mind for neutral countries after he took over.....he might have helped the Brits a lot more than he did.
                              most of the occupied countries had german supporters even after occupation......

would ireland have been any different..???
                              Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X