Law that Dogs must wear Seat Belts- Discuss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Law that Dogs must wear Seat Belts- Discuss

Someone has raised the issue with the Dept of Transport that dogs should wear seat belts, not to prevent your dog leaping out of the window while you drive but rather to prevent 40kgs of mutt whacking into the back of your head at high speed if your involved in a crash. Good idea or bad idea?

Good idea in my book, I have friends who are keen dog owners and they either transport their dogs in a dog trailer or in estate cars that have a grill that prevents the dogs entry into the drivers part.

im conflicted...i see dogs in seatbelts here, i see dogs going for walkies in doggie buggys pushed by their "mommies" i see people driving with dogs sitting on their laps...i sorta think its time to revert to letting dogs be dogs and not child replacements if you know what i mean..

on the other hand....i think a doggie seat belt in the back of the car to keep the dog actually contained there might make it safer on the road for other drivers....cos what control do they really have if theyre driving with fido on their lap licking their face.....their attention is not on the road....

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
      im conflicted...i see dogs in seatbelts here, i see dogs going for walkies in doggie buggys pushed by their "mommies" i see people driving with dogs sitting on their laps...i sorta think its time to revert to letting dogs be dogs and not child replacements if you know what i mean..

on the other hand....i think a doggie seat belt in the back of the car to keep the dog actually contained there might make it safer on the road for other drivers....cos what control do they really have if theyre driving with fido on their lap licking their face.....their attention is not on the road....
      Yeah I get you, I think this is purely for safety rather than doggie fashion statement. I think the government is missing a trick here and should require dog owners to have a license and pass a course on dog care covering such topics as dog safety, dog behaviour, dog breeding, how to pick up dog faeces and dog nutrition.

Comment

oh believe me i agree...theres a huge fine here if the dog is unlicensed.....heres what happened to me a couple of weeks ago...i opened the door to find a by-law officer outside asking why my dog isnt licensed.........but he is i go...i have a lifetime license for him i got two years ago........yeppers goes the by-law officer, you do...but heres the thing, you moved houses, (5 mins) up the road lol....and your license is for whitby and you now live in oshawa.....different city....duhhhhh...i had to get another license, i also had to prove he had updated shots.......but that i think is a good thing....its illegal to let your dog out in public places without a leash on...i just wish the same rules applied to cats lol..

Comment

Here in Aussieland,you have to Licence your dog(s),some States you have to restrain them in your car,,on a Ute they have to be chained,most beaches they are allowed,on a lead or certain times off lead,pick up their Poo,not allowed in Shops or places with food,National Parks,there is a discount if they are desexed.
          I'm a Freeborn Man of the Travellin' People

Comment

Originally posted by tommie View Post
            Here in Aussieland,you have to Licence your dog(s),some States you have to restrain them in your car,,on a Ute they have to be chained,most beaches they are allowed,on a lead or certain times off lead,pick up their Poo,not allowed in Shops or places with food,National Parks,there is a discount if they are desexed.
            That work for humans too?

Comment

Originally posted by Napper Tandy View Post
              That work for humans too?
              You could always try it yourself,only way to find out
              I'm a Freeborn Man of the Travellin' People

Comment

do they check lol......holy.............my fella never got a discount anywhere i should take him to OZ lol

Comment

My dog Enya said she didn't like seat belts so I put her in the boot.
                  today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Comment

dudley sits in the back seat with the kids..and he enjoys it hes a lazy sod so he never tries to jump in the front..

Comment

Originally posted by Napper Tandy View Post
                      Yeah I get you, I think this is purely for safety rather than doggie fashion statement. I think the government is missing a trick here and should require dog owners to have a license and pass a course on dog care covering such topics as dog safety, dog behaviour, dog breeding, how to pick up dog faeces and dog nutrition.
                      I agree with all of your post, I could be living on a cleaner Isle of Wight if all you say was made law.
                      You got to have a twinkle in your wrinkle.

Comment

Working...
                      X