Peter Robinson DUP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter Robinson DUP

To follow is a copy of the statement made by Peter Robinson today re his wife's affair. Does anyone else find his attitude arrogant, selfrightous (?)selfish and downright unfeeling? Or is is just me???
    Peter Robinson's Statement

You will appreciate how devastated I have been about what you have learned from Iris. This has been the most difficult period of my life and I have been deeply hurt by what has happened. I feel the pain of it every day.

The job we do as politicians places enormous strain on all of us, and at times of heavy criticism and tough decisions it is especially so. I understand that. I also understand that in keeping a public profile a politician internalises the stress. It is seen as a sign of weakness to admit to pressure and anxiety. We are each made differently and some of us are more capable than others of weathering these storms in our lives.

My first knowledge of Iris's inappropriate relationship came about midnight on March 1 last year - the night she tried to take her own life. Each single morning since then I have asked for the strength to carry this burden. I admit that my immediate impulse was to walk away from my marriage. I felt betrayed after almost 40 years of being happily and closely bonded together. The circumstances I faced, however, caused me to take a different course. Iris, racked by guilt and regret had attempted to take her own life and would certainly have been less likely to recover if I had left. Over time and on calmer reflection I set her inappropriate behaviour against 40 years of bringing up our children - often alone.

Forty years of selflessly giving me the space to pursue my beliefs; of facing public pressure for the stand that I was taking and having to live with the threats and dangers my position visited upon my family. Those were 40 years during which she supported me more than any person could reasonably have been expected to. Forty years where we walked the valley basin as well as the mountain paths - but most of all 40 years during which we shared a strong loving relationship.

I determined that I could not walk away without making a genuine effort to see if my marriage could be saved. That is the road I am on. It is a road without guarantees but it is not without hope.

I love my wife. I have always been faithful to her. In a spirit of humility and repentance Iris sought my forgiveness, she took responsibility upon herself alone for her actions and I have forgiven her. More important, I know that she has sought and received God's forgiveness.

I only ask that if people feel they must judge her, that they find within themselves, as I have done, the gift of doing so with mercy and compassion.

It is heartbreaking that all the good work that she has done, for so many people, over so many years, will be overshadowed by what she has outlined today.

I accept that the press have a job to do and they must be free to do it. I know there will be others who, no doubt, want to dredge up every lurid detail. They will get no help from me.

I want to assure the wider community that I have at all times sought to carry out my public duties diligently, and I will continue to discharge those responsibilities without allowing, as far as lies within me, my personal hurt to limit my endeavours.

This is a very painful time for my family, and I ask that the media respect our personal privacy while, together, we seek to rebuild our lives.

I do not want to return to this subject. I am determined to try and put this issue behind me.

It is my intention to be at my desk tomorrow morning to continue the work that the people of Northern Ireland have entrusted to me. I will be meeting with Martin McGuinness to discuss how we might make real progress.

Is he having an affair with Mc Guinness?

Comment

Originally posted by Marmalade View Post
      Is he having an affair with Mc Guinness?
      I don't think even McG would touch him with a bargepole.....surprises me his wife has had only 1 affair!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Looks to me like he's having an affair with Mc Guinness. Look at the last sentence......I don't know whose passive in that affair!

Comment

Kidding aside Marmalade....I find the tone of his statement appalling

Comment

Originally posted by Womblemum View Post
            Kidding aside Marmalade....I find the tone of his statement appalling
            [II am amazed that anybody would expect any different from P. Robinson.[/I]
            Invasion of Clontibret
            On 7 August 1986, in protest at the Anglo-Irish Agreement, Robinson led a group of 500 loyalists into the town of Clontibret in County Monaghan in the Republic of Ireland. The loyalists entered the Garda station in the town and physically assaulted two Gardaí, before holding a quasi-military parade in the town square. Robinson was later arrested. He pleaded guilty to unlawful assembly and was fined IR£17500 in a Drogheda court to escape a prison sentence. As a result, Robinson briefly resigned from the DUP deputy leadership. There was also violence both before and after a court appearance in Dundalk, including Ian Paisley being attacked with stones and petrol bombs after Jim Wells and other Robinson supporters waved flags and sang Loyalist songs. At his trial the judge described him as "a senior extremist politician".

Ulster Resistance

In November 1986, he spoke at the Ulster Hall demonstration which launched Ulster Resistance, an organisation which subsequently collaborated with the Ulster Defence Association and Ulster Volunteer Force to import arms from South Africa, resulting in Robinson leaving the organisation. Robinson was photographed wearing the loyalist paramilitary military uniform at an Ulster Resistance demonstration.
            At a rally in Enniskillen, Peter Robinson announced; "'Thousands have already joined the movement and the task of shaping them into an effective force is continuing. The Resistance has indicated that drilling and training has already started. The officers of the nine divisions have taken up their duties'.
            Last edited by Guest; 06-01-2010, 11:25 PM.

Comment

To follow is a copy of the statement made by Peter Robinson today re his wife's affair. Does anyone else find his attitude arrogant, selfrightous (?)selfish and downright unfeeling? Or is is just me???
              Peter Robinson's Statement

You will appreciate how devastated I have been about what you have learned from Iris. This has been the most difficult period of my life and I have been deeply hurt by what has happened. I feel the pain of it every day.

The job we do as politicians places enormous strain on all of us, and at times of heavy criticism and tough decisions it is especially so. I understand that. I also understand that in keeping a public profile a politician internalises the stress. It is seen as a sign of weakness to admit to pressure and anxiety. We are each made differently and some of us are more capable than others of weathering these storms in our lives.

My first knowledge of Iris's inappropriate relationship came about midnight on March 1 last year - the night she tried to take her own life. Each single morning since then I have asked for the strength to carry this burden. I admit that my immediate impulse was to walk away from my marriage. I felt betrayed after almost 40 years of being happily and closely bonded together. The circumstances I faced, however, caused me to take a different course. Iris, racked by guilt and regret had attempted to take her own life and would certainly have been less likely to recover if I had left. Over time and on calmer reflection I set her inappropriate behaviour against 40 years of bringing up our children - often alone.

Forty years of selflessly giving me the space to pursue my beliefs; of facing public pressure for the stand that I was taking and having to live with the threats and dangers my position visited upon my family. Those were 40 years during which she supported me more than any person could reasonably have been expected to. Forty years where we walked the valley basin as well as the mountain paths - but most of all 40 years during which we shared a strong loving relationship.

I determined that I could not walk away without making a genuine effort to see if my marriage could be saved. That is the road I am on. It is a road without guarantees but it is not without hope.

I love my wife. I have always been faithful to her. In a spirit of humility and repentance Iris sought my forgiveness, she took responsibility upon herself alone for her actions and I have forgiven her. More important, I know that she has sought and received God's forgiveness.

I only ask that if people feel they must judge her, that they find within themselves, as I have done, the gift of doing so with mercy and compassion.

It is heartbreaking that all the good work that she has done, for so many people, over so many years, will be overshadowed by what she has outlined today.

I accept that the press have a job to do and they must be free to do it. I know there will be others who, no doubt, want to dredge up every lurid detail. They will get no help from me.

I want to assure the wider community that I have at all times sought to carry out my public duties diligently, and I will continue to discharge those responsibilities without allowing, as far as lies within me, my personal hurt to limit my endeavours.

This is a very painful time for my family, and I ask that the media respect our personal privacy while, together, we seek to rebuild our lives.

I do not want to return to this subject. I am determined to try and put this issue behind me.

It is my intention to be at my desk tomorrow morning to continue the work that the people of Northern Ireland have entrusted to me. I will be meeting with Martin McGuinness to discuss how we might make real progress.
              Have you noticed that there are an awful lot of 'I' and 'my' and very little 'we' and 'our', or is it just me??
              Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

yea i saw that too dave...he sounds from that speech to me to be a royal git.....she should leave the fecker..

Comment

Typical Robinson reply using 1000 words were a dozen would suffice.

I wonder will he receive forgiveness for, not adultry, but the deaths he's personally responsible for.

He's a hypocrite.
                  'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
                    yea i saw that too dave...he sounds from that speech to me to be a royal git.....she should leave the fecker..
                    No she should get herself a toyboy with a big .....car. A Catholic as well hehe.
                    Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by boxman View Post
                      No she should get herself a toyboy with a big .....car. A Catholic as well hehe.
                      Are you applying for the "position" lmao....glad to see from the various responses I was not over-reacting which I sometimes tend to do

Comment

Are you applying for the "position" lmao....glad to see from the various responses I was not over-reacting which I sometimes tend to do
                        God forbid that you'd ever over react Dolores, I doubt if you have it in you!
                        Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Originally posted by boxman View Post

Boxie, Why am I suddenly thinking of Borat?

Comment

Oh! Now I see!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bang Bang View Post
                              Oh! Now I see!
                              Ah the Mankini I never leave home without it!
                              Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Working...
                              X