Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are Canadians funnier than Americans and Why?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are Canadians funnier than Americans and Why?

Light hearted discussion and one for the North American posters. One thing you can't help noticing that among Canada main exports seems to be comedians and comedy actors to Hollywood. For a country of 33.5 million citizens they seem to punch way above their weight in comedy and comedy roles, so are Canadians funnier than Americans and why if so?

Just some of the Canadian born Comedian/Comedy actors to work in Hollywood
    • Will Arnett, Ontario
    • John Candy, Ontario
    • Jim Carrey, Ontario
    • Michael Cera, Ontario
    • Michael J. Fox, Alberta
    • Phil Hartman, Ontario
    • Eugene Levy, Ontario
    • Mike Myers, Ontario
    • Rick Moranis, Ontario
    • Leslie Nielsen, Saskatchewan
    • Catherine O'Hara, Ontario
    • Ryan Reynolds, BC
    • William Shatner, Quebec
    • Seth Rogen, BC
    • Martin Short, Ontario
    • Dave Thomas , Ontario
    • Dan Aykroyd, Ontario

I was surprised to see william shatner on the list eh..I never knew he was canadian..

but re the question...the north american sense of humor is very different and much slower i though when we came here from what we were used to in ireland..and being honest i though they were all dull farts.....but over the years my own humor i think has changed....i dont think from border to border the humor is much different...i think the canadians though had more opportunity some years ago in local comedy clubs to work their way up...

Comment

I think they are both good, there are some brilliant American comedians, my own favorite being George Carlin, amazingly funny and so clever with it, a truly intelligent man. Robin williams, is brilliant, but can irritate after awhile. I find American humor very different to European type of humor, which to me is never really picked up on by the Americans, at least not unless you have actually lived there, Billy Connolly is my favorite. I can't stand political humor, it is as boring as the politicians themselves. Has anyone ever listened to the old Bob Newhart recordings? A brilliant man.John candy,and Dan Akroyd brilliant, Jim Carrey I can't warm to!

Comment

Originally posted by maire View Post
        I think they are both good, there are some brilliant American comedians, my own favorite being George Carlin, amazingly funny and so clever with it, a truly intelligent man. Robin williams, is brilliant, but can irritate after awhile. I find American humor very different to European type of humor, which to me is never really picked up on by the Americans, at least not unless you have actually lived there, Billy Connolly is my favorite. I can't stand political humor, it is as boring as the politicians themselves. Has anyone ever listened to the old Bob Newhart recordings? A brilliant man.John candy,and Dan Akroyd brilliant, Jim Carrey I can't warm to!
        Maire;When you get shitty winters like we do in Canada,especially this one,You have to have a good sense of humor.I agree with you about Jim Carrey.I can't see anything funny about him.I loved George Carlin.A wonderful and brilliant comedian.Robin williams is also one of my favorites.

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
          I was surprised to see william shatner on the list eh..I never knew he was canadian..

but re the question...the north american sense of humor is very different and much slower i though when we came here from what we were used to in ireland..and being honest i though they were all dull farts.....but over the years my own humor i think has changed....i dont think from border to border the humor is much different...i think the canadians though had more opportunity some years ago in local comedy clubs to work their way up...
          Helen;So was Glen Ford,Lorne Green and a host of other actors and entertainers.

Comment

Love george carlin...jim carrey makes me cringe....would you say your sense of humor changed being in north america?... I think mine did...but i love and appreciate the irish humor totally it keeps you on your toes

Comment

Love george carlin...jim carrey makes me cringe....would you say your sense of humor changed being in north america?... I think mine did...but i love and appreciate the irish humor totally it keeps you on your toes
              Helen;Yes! we are on the same page.

Comment

What are the New Democratic Party like?

Comment

well......their ideas are good...but they didnt work them very well when they did get in.....they recently lost their leader jack layton who was getting up there in the charts......so i guess they suffered a setback...so who knows....I used work for them for years lol......and when i came to canada i found it difficult to even visualize how a working person could vote for any other than a working mans party...my time working for them changed my mind...but i have to say i did vote for them in the last couple of elections

Comment

I do not know if all the people listed above are funny......but I do know that a certain poster in Canada is one of the funniest people I know....
                    It is what it is.

Comment

Haha ron... Another behan smasher was on being asked what he thought of toronto he sez.... Sure itll be a lovely place when its finished..

Pam your a brat... You didnt do too badly here yourself with all the single men in the area lol

Comment

Haha ron... Another behan smasher was on being asked what he thought of toronto he sez.... Sure itll be a lovely place when its finished..

Pam your a brat... You didnt do too badly here yourself with all the single men in the area lol

Jeese woman ... who said I was a talkin bout you!!!!......Am I the only one who likes Jim Carey.....I loved him in Liar Liar......but my fav of all time has to be the late and great Leslie Neilson....
                        It is what it is.

Comment

Did i mention jim carey gives me the kweeps lol...i think maybe ed is right though its the winters lol

Comment

hank williams isnt canadian lol now is he??

Comment

I agree Pammy, she's a trip! Yes Helen, I think my sense of whats funny has changed over the years, since I first came here, back in 1968, jaysus has it been that long?

Comment

Working...
                              X