When will we have a female Taoiseach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When will we have a female Taoiseach?

When will Ireland have a female Taoiseach?

In the next General Election, State funding will halve to parties unless 30 per cent of their candidates are women. This figure will rise to 40 per cent at subsequent general elections. Or do you think are first female Taoiseach is in the current Houses of the Oireachtas? Ivana Bacik? Mary Lou McDonald? Marie-Louise O'Donnell?

Originally posted by Napper Tandy View Post

In the next General Election, State funding will halve to parties unless 30 per cent of their candidates are women. This figure will rise to 40 per cent at subsequent general elections. Or do you think are first female Taoiseach is in the current Houses of the Oireachtas? Ivana Bacik? Mary Lou McDonald? Marie-Louise O'Donnell?
    Perish the thought!!!! They would be worse than any man...look at Joan Burton...chanpion of the underdog for years (or so she said) and now see what she's doing. Granted, Mary Lou is a fine orator but when it comes to action well.......

Comment

Originally posted by Womblemum View Post
      Perish the thought!!!! They would be worse than any man...look at Joan Burton...chanpion of the underdog for years (or so she said) and now see what she's doing. Granted, Mary Lou is a fine orator but when it comes to action well.......
      Womblemum; Male or female,they are all the same.Like babies,they should be changed frequently,and for the same reason.

Comment

Give us a list of women prime ministers ,presidents , ect that were better at delivering than men !

Comment

Originally posted by Napper Tandy View Post

Maybe in the next ten, fifteen years... Harney might have made it if she'd stayed in Fianna Fail.
          Everything is self-evident.

Comment

I wonder why not many people, including women, still don't really trust women in politics? I mean any woman, are we all still under the impression that politics is still a mans forte, or could it be that women don't really trust other women in general, and men are programmed to think men are better suited to these things? I'm not casting aspersions, just asking!

Comment

Originally posted by spudseamus View Post
              Give us a list of women prime ministers ,presidents , ect that were better at delivering than men !
              Well spud they certainly deliver babies better than men..It looks like Julia Gillard will be our last female prime minister for a long..long time..that if by chance she survives this coming election in Sept.
              today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by silver spoon View Post
                Well spud they certainly deliver babies better than men..It looks like Julia Gillard will be our last female prime minister for a long..long time..that if by chance she survives this coming election in Sept.

Hell will freeze over ! Lol!

Comment

Originally posted by maire View Post
                  I wonder why not many people, including women, still don't really trust women in politics? I mean any woman, are we all still under the impression that politics is still a mans forte, or could it be that women don't really trust other women in general, and men are programmed to think men are better suited to these things? I'm not casting aspersions, just asking!
                  I always get the impression that women are more critical of women in politics than men.

Comment

Interesting

It’s a sad reality that a political life seems closed off, exclusive or unfeasible for most women. The boys club needs to become unacceptable and it needs to go.

There is hope. In that admittedly meagre 15% of the Dáil are some excellent role models and trailblazers for women in politics who we must cherish. There is a broad base of support for gender quota implementation.

There are fantastic initiatives such as Women For Election, who work to “inspire and equip women to succeed in politics” with training and support programmes.

We need to realise a lack of women means a lack of true representation of our population, with legislation to match. We need to consistently question the lack of women’s voices in the government chambers as well as in our media. We need to support women. I don’t know about you, but I’d like to see a female Taoiseach in my lifetime.

Who will it be?
                    By Fiona Hyde for World Irish It’s a sad reality that a political life seems closed off, exclusive or unfeasible for most women. The boys club needs to become unacceptable and it needs to go. There…
                    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Well said Noel, there are plenty of really great women out there, but I kind of think Napper hit the nail on the head, as much as I hate to say that as a woman, and men are programmed by nature to think tha they are the leaders imho

Comment

Originally posted by maire View Post
                        lol maire. going only on the Irish experience of women who have made it in government I think with a few exceptions they were all at pains to show they were harder, stronger and had no soft spots, than any of the men we have. It was as if they, not the electorate did not trust their judgement. alwasy afraid to be accused of "female thinking" which in fact is what was probably needed!

Comment

lol maire. going only on the Irish experience of women who have made it in government I think with a few exceptions they were all at pains to show they were harder, stronger and had no soft spots, than any of the men we have. It was as if they, not the electorate did not trust their judgement. alwasy afraid to be accused of "female thinking" which in fact is what was probably needed!

does ireland need it's own maggie.....
                          Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
                            does ireland need it's own maggie.....
                            no Maggie but we could do with 3 Magi!!!!! Or even 1 would do....

Comment

no Maggie but we could do with 3 Magi!!!!! Or even 1 would do....

you could be the star to guide them....
                              Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X