Pipe Majors Dublin University O.T.C.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pipe Majors Dublin University O.T.C.

I have read in several places (possibly all based on the same source) that Louis P. Noble was Pipe Major of the Irish Army Band. But what was this Irish Army Band? According to the Defence Forces website there were by 1929 five Pipe Bands, established in the following units: 2nd Inf. Bn (Athlone), 5th Inf. Bn (Dublin), 7th Inf. Bn (Dublin), 12th Inf. Bn (Limerick) and the Curragh Training Camp. Was Noble indeed Pipe Major of one or more Battalions and when?
    Aad

Pipe Majors Dublin University O.T.C.

I am compiling a list of Pipe Majors of military Pipes & Drums worldwide. I understand that there was a Pipe Band in the Dublin University O.T.C. from around 1910 till independence in 1922 and that in 1913 their Pipe Major was William N. Andrews. Could anyone tell me when Andrews was their P/M (year from-to) and if there have been any other Pipe Majors.
    Aad

Comment

Hi and welcome Aboode....I can't answer your question but I have no doubt someone will shortly...
      It is what it is.

Comment

Slightly related... the OTC - Officer's Training Corps of Dublin University - Trinity College as we know it - were among the first 'British troops' to respond to the events of the Easter Rising in 1916 by denying the rebels access to the college itself - and also by their securing of Dame Street and College Green, prevented any link up of those in the GPO with the volunteers fighting south of the river.

'On Saturday, 5th August 1916, in the Provost’s gardens of Trinity College, a presentation from the citizens of Dublin to commemorate the gallant conduct of the Officers Training Corps during the rebellion was made.'

Plaque at the Nassau Street entrance to Trinity...

trinity1.jpg

Pic and quote courtesy of http://comeheretome.com/tag/trinity-college-dublin/
        Last edited by cogito; 26-04-2013, 11:20 PM.
        Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Originally posted by aboode View Post
          I have read in several places (possibly all based on the same source) that Louis P. Noble was Pipe Major of the Irish Army Band. But what was this Irish Army Band? According to the Defence Forces website there were by 1929 five Pipe Bands, established in the following units: 2nd Inf. Bn (Athlone), 5th Inf. Bn (Dublin), 7th Inf. Bn (Dublin), 12th Inf. Bn (Limerick) and the Curragh Training Camp. Was Noble indeed Pipe Major of one or more Battalions and when?
          Aad
          Only just seen this Aboode. Bit more info for ya. Looks like he might have been in them all. That's Louis seated 4th from left.

From a taped recording In his own words; "I joined the 5th Battalion, Engineers, Irish Republican Army. Then, when the civil war started, I was with my commandant in a number of places, and I was wounded, and my commandant, whose name was Cathal Brugha, he died..., the same volley that I got killed him, and very soon after that when peace was declared I was invited to take charge of the pipers school in the National Army, and I took the job."

"I was in that job for five years, of which four was spent in the Army School of Music
          , and I had trouble with the German Director of Music, who was no friend of the bagpipes, and I was court martialed and posted to a band that I had formed some years before that, and I was posted to Limerick Barracks".
          Attached Files
          Last edited by DAMNTHEWEATHER; 28-04-2013, 09:09 PM.
          We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
            Only just seen this Aboode. Bit more info for ya. Looks like he might have been in them all. That's Louis seated 4th from left.

From a taped recording In his own words; "I joined the 5th Battalion, Engineers, Irish Republican Army. Then, when the civil war started, I was with my commandant in a number of places, and I was wounded, and my commandant, whose name was Cathal Brugha, he died..., the same volley that I got killed him, and very soon after that when peace was declared I was invited to take charge of the pipers school in the National Army, and I took the job."

"I was in that job for five years, of which four was spent in the Army School of Music
            , and I had trouble with the German Director of Music, who was no friend of the bagpipes, and I was court martialed and posted to a band that I had formed some years before that, and I was posted to Limerick Barracks".
            This is interesting. Does this mean that Noble (after independence) became Head of the Pipers School of the National Army and was NOT a Pipe Major of one (or more) of the Pipe Bands? Or did he become a Pipe Major when posted to Limerick? But when and which Battalion would that be? According to "Irish Army Orders of Battle" by Adrian J. English the ORBAT 1924 showed No. 4 Brigade (10th, 11th and 12th Inf. Bn) in Limerick, the 1927 ORBAT showed 9th Inf. Bn in Limerick and the 1929 ORBAT showed 8th Inf. Bn in Limerick!
            The German Director of Music must have been Wilhelm Fritz BRASE, who came to Ireland in March 1923 together with his assistant Christian SAUERZWEIG (both were German). Brase was Director till 1940 when he died and was succeeded by Sauerzweig from 1940 to 1947.
            Aad

Comment

This is interesting. Does this mean that Noble (after independence) became Head of the Pipers School of the National Army and was NOT a Pipe Major of one (or more) of the Pipe Bands? Or did he become a Pipe Major when posted to Limerick? But when and which Battalion would that be? According to "Irish Army Orders of Battle" by Adrian J. English the ORBAT 1924 showed No. 4 Brigade (10th, 11th and 12th Inf. Bn) in Limerick, the 1927 ORBAT showed 9th Inf. Bn in Limerick and the 1929 ORBAT showed 8th Inf. Bn in Limerick!
              The German Director of Music must have been Wilhelm Fritz BRASE, who came to Ireland in March 1923 together with his assistant Christian SAUERZWEIG (both were German). Brase was Director till 1940 when he died and was succeeded by Sauerzweig from 1940 to 1947.
              Aad
              Think we might do well toask a Mod here to move us over to the Pipers Thread. Emmm, well I took an interest in noble because of his Collins connection, and the bit of digging I did turned up the info on here plus the pics. Noble is an interesting fella. Trying to pin him down to one particular Pipe band might prove very difficult. As i see it he was the head honcho piper of the school, and with that job he must have played with lots of bands, I know he was always used for ceremonial stuff for instance, and if you look back on this thread you'll see him leading a pipe band at the funeral of MacSwiney.....here's another. So the answer must be He was the top dog and played and led who he fancied, wouldn't you think ?. Though it also looks like he became Pipe major in Limerick after the fall out with the German,yes.
              Attached Files

Comment

Some stuff here you might find interesting A.

'Led by the band of the 12th Lancers and the pipers of the Trinity College Officer Training Corps, they marched off from the Royal Barracks. Along the Liffey quays, crowds on the pavements and spectators in the windows cheered and waved. Outside the Four Courts , a large group of barristers, solicitors, officials and judges shouted good-bye to their friends. Little boys strutted along side the marching column, chanting their street songs,

Welcome to Trinity Visitors, home to the Book of Kells & Old Library, guided campus tours, summer accommodation. Book your tickets today

Comment

Pipe Majors Dublin University OTC

I am compiling a list of Pipe Majors of military Pipes & Drums worldwide and am having trouble in finding information about the Pipe Majors of the Dublin University Officers' Training Corps. I believe the Pipes & Drums were established in or around 1910 and disbanded in 1922 on independence.
                  The only name I have found sofar is William Nataniel ANDREWS, who was their Pipe Major around 1913; he was born in 1873 in Dublin and died in 1939 in Dublin.
                  Does anyone have information about any other Pipe Majors?
                  Aad

Comment

I am compiling a list of Pipe Majors of military Pipes & Drums worldwide and am having trouble in finding information about the Pipe Majors of the Dublin University Officers' Training Corps. I believe the Pipes & Drums were established in or around 1910 and disbanded in 1922 on independence.
                    The only name I have found sofar is William Nataniel ANDREWS, who was their Pipe Major around 1913; he was born in 1873 in Dublin and died in 1939 in Dublin.
                    Does anyone have information about any other Pipe Majors?
                    Aad
                    As far as I know the OTC was founded in 1908, Billy Andrews became instructor and pipe major, and was awarded a cup with other members of the OCT for their defence of the university in 1916. He is buried in Mount Jerome Cemetery. Not sure if there were any more.
                    I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
                    Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

Thank you, jembo.
                      It looks like W.N. Andrews was the Pipe Major from establishment of the Pipes & Drums in 1908 possibly till 1922, unless we can find any successor.
                      Aad

Comment

Hello, I am Louis Noble's grandson. I was 10 when he passed away. I will ask
                        my Mom to answer some of your questions. I am glad to see the interest in him so long after his passing. As a child I remember him to be a lively and engaging grandfather.

Comment

Originally posted by GrandsonofNoble View Post
                          Hello, I am Louis Noble's grandson. I was 10 when he passed away. I will ask
                          my Mom to answer some of your questions. I am glad to see the interest in him so long after his passing. As a child I remember him to be a lively and engaging grandfather.
                          Thanks for the post. The member Aboode posted a second thread in 2014 with the same query so I've merged the two threads to this one.

Nice to see the internet can produce such positive results...
                          Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Working...
                          X