Verbal abuse is just the start for paramedics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Verbal abuse is just the start for paramedics

AMBO Alexander Morellini, 24, describes how a routine call-out turned ugly.

Last month, we were transporting an intoxicated gentleman, a middle-aged gentleman who had fallen off his pushbike.

I put a neck brace on him, as a precaution in case he injured his spine in the process of falling.

I was in the back with him and during the transport to hospital he became quite agitated, started swearing and was attempting to take the collar off.

I've gone from my treating seat to the front of the stretcher towards his head. I tried to loosen the collar a bit, to make him more comfortable and stabilise his neck with my hands.

While I was doing that he took a swing at my head and hit me on the right side of the temple.

I've yelled out to my partner, and we were pulling into the Liverpool Hospital Emergency department. He was quite out of it but all of a sudden he got the co-ordination to hit me in the head.

I jumped out of the ambulance through the side door, and he went back to yelling profanities and flailing his arms about.

Nothing like that had happened to me before but I have had verbal abuse yelled at me - that happens every month or two.

It is usually drunk people.

It makes it a lot harder, especially when you're trying to help them. But they just don't understand when they are in that state, they really don't understand that you are there for their benefit. After it happened, some of my colleagues shared their stories with me about times they have been assaulted. It's something that needs to be dealt with, I think.

I became a paramedic to help people, and I guess this has made me a bit more cautious - for the better I think.

But I enjoy it - what better way to help someone than when people are in their most dire need.

The above article published HERE.
    'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

The general public have no idea as to the extent of attacks on Paramedics in Ireland. I was hospitalised in 2011 after I was assaulted by a patient we were caring for. The investigating Gardai were brilliant and helped me out a lot but they became very frustrated at how slow the judicial system works and they are still trying to get the culprit to court to answer the investigation about the assault on me.

A recent bill aimed at bringing in stiff penalties to those who attack Paramedic's, Gardai and Firefighters was thrown out by the Irish government such is the lack of care or concern they have for emergency service personnel.

Comment

Ive seen it happen here in the local emergency dept..Ive seen the abuse that these poor guys have to put up with, physical and mental....its absolutely terrible that the front liners to accidents, emergencies, can in fact be risking their own lives and ability to do their jobs in the case of serious injuries doing what can be regarded as some as a thankless job and then to risk being attacked?? ...i think there should be harsh sentences in the wake of these attacks....and justice should be swift and seen to be administered.

Comment

Originally posted by Fortypence View Post
        A recent bill aimed at bringing in stiff penalties to those who attack Paramedic's, Gardai and Firefighters was thrown out by the Irish government such is the lack of care or concern they have for emergency service personnel.
        Two Paramedics and a Garda were hospitalised in Dublin this morning after all three were assaulted whilst carrying out their duties.

I wonder will this make the news headlines and will the useless government eventually see that our frontline services are regularly under attack, I doubt it

Comment

It's such a shame Fortypence, people don't appreciate how really Nasty, and sometimes even fatal, these incidences can become for paramedics, police, and even firemen, as they are often first responders here when someone calls 911, you are all taking a big risk going to work every day. I can honestly say you guys have my highest respect for the brilliant job you do!

Comment

Originally posted by maire View Post
            It's such a shame Fortypence, people don't appreciate how really Nasty, and sometimes even fatal, these incidences can become for paramedics, police, and even firemen, as they are often first responders here when someone calls 911, you are all taking a big risk going to work every day. I can honestly say you guys have my highest respect for the brilliant job you do!
            Thanks maire. It's just so annoying and the fact that our government does not recognise the seriousness of the situation, they're a bunch of ignorant idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by Fortypence View Post
              Thanks maire. It's just so annoying and the fact that our government does not recognise the seriousness of the situation, they're a bunch of ignorant idiots.
              because of my illness I had to call paramedics many a time , because their so Professional I know that I might not be alive today , anyone that assaults a ambulanceman drunk or sober should be locked up and the f**king key throwing away

Comment

Originally posted by fitzy View Post
                because of my illness I had to call paramedics many a time , because their so Professional I know that I might not be alive today , anyone that assaults a ambulanceman drunk or sober should be locked up and the f**king key throwing away
                Unfortunately the Irish government just don't care about our frontline services. There are now another three frontline workers on sick leave following these assaults at the weekend.

Comment

In general I don't think people understand the hardship first responders endure. It is physically and emotionally demanding - and often a thankless job. To have the person you're trying to help assault or in any way abuse you is the ultimate insult.
                  I was an EMT for a short time. Although none of the patients ever abused me and were always grateful that someone was taking care of them - I heard many stories. Without the men and women willing to put themselves out there to help when needed, we'd all be in big trouble!! Hug a first responder!!

Comment

Working...
                  X