the fall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the fall

Did anyone else feel disappointed by the ending last Sunday night to The Fall,RTE1 9-30? I watched each episode every Sunday night and I thought it was a great series but thought the ending was an anti climax to say the least.Gillian Anderson gave a great performance and it was good to see irish actors Simon Delaney and Emmet J Scanlon in supporting roles,cant recall the name of the actor who played the murderer but he was outstanding,think he's irish too,from the north.Would like to read other people's views on the ending.

Paudge....would have to agree with you....horrible ending....I thought the last two episodes were very drawn out....it was like the writers didn't know how to end it and were just playing it by ear.......I assume it was supposed to end like that as it was a one off series...with no plans for a second series.....now I believe they have planned another series with a different story line......The actor who played the killer is Jamie Dornan......he was born in Holywood (Co Down)
    The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

I did not think it was over? another episode due this weekend
      is it on more than one channell?

Comment

Originally posted by bigby View Post
        I did not think it was over? another episode due this weekend
        is it on more than one channell?
        Bigby ...Last episode was on RTE on Last Sunday and BBC2 Monday.....no more shows

Comment

have been watching on rte player and it says another episode next Saturday 15th ?

Comment

Originally posted by bigby View Post
            have been watching on rte player and it says another episode next Saturday 15th ?
            ?...

Comment

Yes the final episode of The Fall will be shown again this saturday night on rte. Usually on around 10.30/ 10.45pm. A second series has been commissioned so I guess that's it ended how it did.
              " Never Look Back As You Are Not Going There "

Comment

The Fall’s controversial open-ended climax was designed to “change the nature” of how TV tells crime stories and make them more like real life, a show boss has said.

Many viewers took to internet forums to complain about the final episode of gripping BBC crime series The Fall .

They were left disappointed last night and will have to wait until Autumn 2014 for part two, which was ordered by the BBC last month.

But executive producer Gub Neal defended writer Allan Cubitt’s approach and said: “Allan has always been very committed to taking the long view on stories.

“A critical part of what he’s trying to do is change the nature of the way these stories are told. TV cops often live in the world of TV cops. It’s a TV rhetoric, not reality.

“What we know is that life’s not like that. It’s not that easy to catch serial killers - detectives aren’t superhumans.”

Neal also told industry magazine Broadcast that the series subverted the genre by focusing more on the victims and their families.

“Many dramas don’t personalise their victims; you don’t see the father breaking down in the police corridor. The whole thing is often a game and this was not a game but a chance to recharge some of those key issues about morality that are forgotten sometimes in general rhetoric.”

The five-part drama has been a major breakout hit for BBC2, murdering the competition on Monday night with 3.6m tuning in for the final part.

On Twitter fan Amy Simpson said: “Absolutely loving the fall, but that ending was poor! Don’t leave me in suspense.”

And MP Chris Bryant said: “The Fall was deeply disturbing, brilliantly acted but bloody infuriating in its non-ending. GRRRRR.”

Neal hinted that Cubitt, who will expand the next series to six parts, has plenty of material lined up and may well explore its lead characters in more detail. Gillian Anderson’s detective character remained something of an enigma throughout the series with an often cold and emotionless response to events.

Neal also defended Cubitt against accusations of glamourizing violence against women.

“It’s a serious issue but it’s fundamentally not the case that it glamourized violence. It dealt with vicious crimes and it’s the reality of the world that most serial killers prey on women.”

Comment

Working...
                X