Charity shops to remain on Grafton Street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charity shops to remain on Grafton Street

Dublin City Council is to rethink its proposal to ban charity shops from Grafton Street.

More...

I love well run charity shops.......but I just wonder how a charity shop can afford to trade in Grafton Street

Comment

Originally posted by nansson View Post
      I love well run charity shops.......but I just wonder how a charity shop can afford to trade in Grafton Street
      nansson...i was told that in the UK they do not have to pay rates or tax.....

there is a recession ....charity shops seem to be expanding across the town centres....

more people use them.......

yet, i have heard reports that their total income is down.......

that makes me a bit wary...not saying there is anything underhand going on......but, not saying their isn't.......
      Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

If some of the big companies can't afford the rent, how can a charity shop pay it? So much for money going to a charity...only the landlords can win here. Charity shops have no place in such high rent streets. People who wish to buy from them can easily walk to a side street where the rent is cheaper and the charity can get more of the badly needed funds.

Comment

I dont know about charity shops but it makes sense rental space in high cost areas will certainly take away from the actual proceeds going to particular charities..

The highest paying job with the most benefits i ever had i have to say was when i worked as a co-ordinator for Non-profit groups ....go figure lol..

Comment

I worked for one of the biggest charity shops in the country and beleive me very little money actually goes to charity.
            It is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Pammy View Post
              I worked for one of the biggest charity shops in the country and beleive me very little money actually goes to charity.
              So where DOEs it go?

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
                So where DOEs it go?
                Where would ya think it goes??
                It is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Pammy View Post
                  Where would ya think it goes??
                  I have no idea; that's why I'm asking you.

Comment

It goes to salaries and overhead.

Comment

Originally posted by Eileen View Post
                      It goes to salaries and overhead.
                      Which are necessary expenses; they have to pay the rent and there needs to be a number of paid staff.

Comment

An old mate of mine was telling me that a friend of his from unie days worked as head of a well known charity. He used to commute (first class) daily from Exeter to London and had a salary of nearly £80,000. There are many more in that position and that's why I don't give anything to big charities.I only contribute to homeless at Christmas in my local area.
                        I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
                        Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

Originally posted by jembo View Post
                          An old mate of mine was telling me that a friend of his from unie days worked as head of a well known charity. He used to commute (first class) daily from Exeter to London and had a salary of nearly £80,000. There are many more in that position and that's why I don't give anything to big charities.I only contribute to homeless at Christmas in my local area.

You probably also spend shedloads of money in retail chains throughout the year, especially at Christmas. None of that money is going to charity, just increasing the profits of said chain and lining the pockets of the directors. Surely it's better to spend a bit of cash in your local charity store, knowing that at least a percentage of what you're spending goes to a good cause?

Comment

Well I can only say that St Vinnies here is very dependant on it's charity stores, they do have to pay rent, and all the other normal expenses, they have one paid manager for a region, which is normal. St Vinnies here use about 90 cents in the dollar to help those in need. So it works out ok, as they get the material for nothing, and can make a profit. We, as volunteers can give people free clothes, furniture etc, anything in the shops through vouchers.Some stores do better than others depending where they are located, and if they are retro.
                            today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by silver spoon View Post
                              Well I can only say that St Vinnies here is very dependant on it's charity stores, they do have to pay rent, and all the other normal expenses, they have one paid manager for a region, which is normal. St Vinnies here use about 90 cents in the dollar to help those in need. So it works out ok, as they get the material for nothing, and can make a profit. We, as volunteers can give people free clothes, furniture etc, anything in the shops through vouchers.Some stores do better than others depending where they are located, and if they are retro.
                              I'm on me way ,,Tony,,,need some supplies to get over the winter
                              I'm a Freeborn Man of the Travellin' People

Comment

Working...
                              X