Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody speak Gaelic...

...I love this language.
    Unfortunatly it is almost impossible to learn it here in Germany. There are no teachers.
    The pronouncation is very difficult and to conjugate, too.

I bought a book about Gaelic....puh...hard stuff.
    Some idioms I could keep in my mind. Slainte!

But I love the song: Óró sé do bheatha abhaile
    Best wishes
    Zurn

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

there is a thread English/Irish on the learning forum

Comment

Oh...sorry I´m too blind to see that there are more sites.
      Last edited by Zurn; 29-07-2013, 01:16 PM.
      Best wishes
      Zurn

Comment

Originally posted by Zurn View Post
        Oh...sorry I´m too blind to see that there are more sites.
        Don't feel too bad about finding it hard to learn.Just ask any Irish kid how difficult it is.

Comment

...I love this language.
          Unfortunatly it is almost impossible to learn it here in Germany. There are no teachers.

Here's a starter = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIfkvGeHUQ0
          We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Looks fine. Thank you.
            Best wishes
            Zurn

Comment

Looks fine. Thank you.
              No bother there's a few others if that one doesn't work out for you Z.

Comment

...I love this language.

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                  DTW; When I looked at that lesson,I got that awful feeling of being a kid in the "Red Brick College" in Drimnagh again, Shudder.

Comment

Originally posted by Ed O'Gorman View Post
                    DTW; When I looked at that lesson,I got that awful feeling of being a kid in the "Red Brick College" in Drimnagh again, Shudder.
                    Not good Ed....some ppl are still havin counselling for dat sorta thing....I only recently gotten over my 'mass in Latin singing lesson nightmares' ....Credo in unum Deum....an all dat.

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                      No bother there's a few others if that one doesn't work out for you Z.

I asked my English teacher what he estimates: How grand is the chance to become only 70% of a native speaker without spending much time in an English-using country. An how do you notice that you receive that?
                      Because I want to learn 2 other languages, too.
                      He said, that he learned 3 languages at the same time at the university.

But there is a problem for me... I have an employment (8 hours a day), a wife and sometimes I want to torture myself with sports.
                      It´s hard for me to stay in touch only with English Vocabulary.
                      A day has 24 hours only.

You know what I mean?

@jeangenie
                      I am at work, I can´t watch it here, because a plugin is missing. I have to watch it at home in the afternoon.
                      Best wishes
                      Zurn

Comment

You wont find many Dublin people on here enthusiastic about the Gaelic language because of the harsh treatment the teachers used on the students in order to teach them during our schooldays , although it doesnt happen anymore .

Comment

Then again I loved the Irish language and I never found it to be anything but a recognition of how those before me fought to save not only our language, but our religion and culture. They succeeded inasmuch as so many Irish have a great love affair with anything, or anybody English, although they might deny this. Slainte Zurn, you are a beacon on this forum.
                          today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.

Comment

I asked my English teacher what he estimates: How grand is the chance to become only 70% of a native speaker without spending much time in an English-using country. An how do you notice that you receive that?
                            Because I want to learn 2 other languages, too.
                            He said, that he learned 3 languages at the same time at the university.

But there is a problem for me... I have an employment (8 hours a day), a wife and sometimes I want to torture myself with sports.
                            It´s hard for me to stay in touch only with English Vocabulary.
                            A day has 24 hours only.

You know what I mean?

@jeangenie
                            I am at work, I can´t watch it here, because a plugin is missing. I have to watch it at home in the afternoon.
                            There are many Gaelic places to go on Facebook,,have you tried there ??
                            or are you on Facebook ?
                            I was brought up speaking mostly Connaght Gaelic as my Mum was from Galway, I did earn the gold ring (Fainne) sorry I dont know how to put the Fada over the letters,do you?
                            I'm a Freeborn Man of the Travellin' People

Comment

Originally posted by silver spoon View Post
                              Then again I loved the Irish language and I never found it to be anything but a recognition of how those before me fought to save not only our language, but our religion and culture. They succeeded inasmuch as so many Irish have a great love affair with anything, or anybody English, although they might deny this,
                              That´s a pity.
                              But...if all Irish speak only Gaelic, I won´t be able to talk with you in English.

Originally posted by silver spoon View Post
                              Slainte Zurn, you are a beacon on this forum.
                              Thank you very much, I am feeling honored.

Originally posted by tommie View Post
                              There are many Gaelic places to go on Facebook,,have you tried there ??
                              or are you on Facebook ?
                              I was brought up speaking mostly Connaght Gaelic as my Mum was from Galway, I did earn the gold ring (Fainne) sorry I dont know how to put the Fada over the letters,do you?
                              Really?
                              Yes I´m on FB.
                              No way... I had difficulties in school with the fada (accent grave, accent taigu, accent circonflex) in French language at school.

Thats one of my problems.
                              One of my favorite songs....Óró sé do bheatha abhaile...I couldn`t write it down out of my mind. I have always to look for spelling.
                              Best wishes
                              Zurn

Comment

Working...
                              X