Racism: What is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Racism: What is it?

Following on from the "Are Irish People Racist" thread.
    What does the word "racism" mean to you?

a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
    I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
    Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

to me personally when i personally have been the butt of what i regard as racist remarks.....it means....ignorance on the part of the person making the remark...i see it as a try put down by them...i see it as enforcing their belief that in some way i am either substandard, not accept.....not educated some time ways....and generally inferior.......and from a region that is very much inferior to theirs.....why else would they bother ......

now how i deal with it is another matter......does it bother me......sometimes......but im like a fly on shite when it happens and that person will never make that mistake again....to me anyways lol..so do i harbor any resentment...nope......ignorant is as ignorant does..

Comment

''what racism means to me''.......

well, in my everyday world......it does not exist......

I have lived in multi-racial areas....I have worked in a multi-racial industry.....

I have served and worked abroad.......

I live amongst ''foreigners''.............I have many friends of a different culture......

I have been a ''stepfather'' (and she still classes me as that) to a black teenager...

I have ''coloured'' nieces and nephews........

I have had a black girlfriend........

my best mate is an Italian.....

I speak daily to a polish family

yes, it does not exist in my world.............
        Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
          ''what racism means to me''.......

well, in my everyday world......it does not exist......

I have lived in multi-racial areas....I have worked in a multi-racial industry.....

I have served and worked abroad.......

I live amongst ''foreigners''.............I have many friends of a different culture......

I have been a ''stepfather'' (and she still classes me as that) to a black teenager...

I have ''coloured'' nieces and nephews........

I have had a black girlfriend........

my best mate is an Italian.....

I speak daily to a polish family

yes, it does not exist in my world.............
          Joe;Can you really speak Polish? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Ed O'Gorman View Post
            effluently.....

Comment

Racism begins (for me) to prejudge people because of their appearance.

I am polite to all ethnics, if they are polite to me.
              I am no racist, I don´t like religions, except buddhism. They are the only people who don´t want to hurt people. The Hindi?, too.
              But Christs and Muslims (not all, only the extreme) do very bad things in the name of religion. In past, present and will do in future.

Right?
              Any opinions?
              Best wishes
              Zurn

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Comment

the next uk general election could be won or lost on the immigration issue.......

the labour party has admitted that it's ''open door'' policies were wrong, and were not in the best interest of this country......

Comment

Thanks for all your responses so far. The reason I started this thread was that looking at the posts on the other "racism" thread, and others in the past, it seems evident that without being actively racist, people are concerned about immigration and feel that immigrants should take a back seat over issues like housing, employment and so on. I will hold my hands up and admit there was an instance when I too had those sort of feelings - a few years ago, when my son was transferring to secondary school, competition for places at the Catholic secondary school was raised at there had been an increase locally in the number of Polish immigrants. At the time, my thoughts were along the lines of "I'll be mad if a Polish boy who's just arrived in the country gets a place at the expense of my son who's been here since the day he was born", even though the Polish boy might have met the criteria for admission to the school just as much as my son did. Is this racist?

Comment

Originally posted by Ed O'Gorman View Post
                    He may not speak Polish but he speaks another language beginning with S.......
                    It is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
                      Thanks for all your responses so far. The reason I started this thread was that looking at the posts on the other "racism" thread, and others in the past, it seems evident that without being actively racist, people are concerned about immigration and feel that immigrants should take a back seat over issues like housing, employment and so on. I will hold my hands up and admit there was an instance when I too had those sort of feelings - a few years ago, when my son was transferring to secondary school, competition for places at the Catholic secondary school was raised at there had been an increase locally in the number of Polish immigrants. At the time, my thoughts were along the lines of "I'll be mad if a Polish boy who's just arrived in the country gets a place at the expense of my son who's been here since the day he was born", even though the Polish boy might have met the criteria for admission to the school just as much as my son did. Is this racist?
                      the ''free movement of good and workers''.........you were conned Katie.......and were entitled to be annoyed........

Comment

The open doors and immigrations is a problem.
                        But it is difficult to decide what´s ok and what not.

A person who come in a foreign land and gets a job and costs no tax paid by locals is ok for me.
                        A person who come in my country and makes criminal things and although gets it´s money from the government, that´s not ok.
                        A person from a foreign country who gets a job I want to have...is my problem. It seemed I´m not good enough for the job.

Refugees is another topic. It must be able to live in peace all over the world, with enough to drink and to eat. How I said....very difficult...

But I would be sad, if I decide to immigrate for living in Eire, and they don´t want me there.
                        Best wishes
                        Zurn

Comment

Originally posted by Zurn View Post
                          The open doors and immigrations is a problem.
                          But it is difficult to decide what´s ok and what not.

A person who come in a foreign land and gets a job and costs no tax paid by locals is ok for me.
                          A person who come in my country and makes criminal things and although gets it´s money from the government, that´s not ok.
                          A person from a foreign country who gets a job I want to have...is my problem. It seemed I´m not good enough for the job.

Refugees is another topic. It must be able to live in peace all over the world, with enough to drink and to eat. How I said....very difficult...

But I would be sad, if I decide to immigrate for living in Eire, and they don´t want me there.
                          zurn..they will love you there......

Comment

the ''free movement of good and workers''.........you were conned Katie.......and were entitled to be annoyed........
                            But was I? It was a gut reaction, in a climate of intensity - most parents know what it's like at "secondary transfer" time. As it happened, my son got his place. Had he not, might I have imagined some Polish boy sitting in the seat he should have had and wearing "his" uniform? Might I have developed a resentment of all Polish people or all immigrants? I'd like to think not. But for all I know this "threat" from the newly-arrived Polish people might just have been a rumour; if my son hadn't got his place it might have been for any number of reasons, like the priest doing the reference didn't think we were a fully-committed Catholic family. It might have had nothing to do with the hypothetical Polish boy. Isn't this the sort of rumour-mongering that right-wing groups feed off?

Comment

zurn..they will love you there......
                              Thanx.
                              Best wishes
                              Zurn

Comment

Working...
                              X