Irish Myths and Legends

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Irish Myths and Legends

I'm not aware if there is an existing tread about this on the Forum. I can't find one so I thought I would start one now. The tread is open to all posters and I hope as many of you will post some Irish Myths & Legends. No rubbish, only genuine material please.

I will start with the Children of Lir.

Out with you upon the wild waves, Children of the King!
    Henceforth your cries shall be with the flocks of birds.

Attached Files
    Last edited by jembo; 25-08-2013, 10:06 AM.
    I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
    Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

what comes to mind instantly "The Banshee" ?

Comment

Originally posted by bigby View Post
      what comes to mind instantly "The Banshee" ?
      Hi biggs, tell us a bit about her or posting a link would be great.
      I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
      Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

my mother always heard the banshee
        in the morning she would tell us that she had been awake in the night and heard the banshee, took me a long time to realise that the next day we heard of someone that had died.

My version of the banshee would be a knock on the door, middle of the night I would wake up to the sound of someone knocking at the door, jump out of bed and stick my head out the window to no one at the door, next day I would hear of the death of someone I knew or was close to.

My mothers banshee was the sound of wailing.

Comment

my mother always heard the banshee
          in the morning she would tell us that she had been awake in the night and heard the banshee, took me a long time to realise that the next day we heard of someone that had died.

My version of the banshee would be a knock on the door, middle of the night I would wake up to the sound of someone knocking at the door, jump out of bed and stick my head out the window to no one at the door, next day I would hear of the death of someone I knew or was close to.

My mothers banshee was the sound of wailing.
          We lived in Bannaville Rathmines,,first house,behind it was a very narrow laneway,,one night late 40's as kids, we heard a lot of wailing,the dog started to bark,,the Da nad Ma went out to see what was goin on,,back they came,Da's hair standing on end,,mother reciting the Hail Mary,,,they told us not to go outside as there was Banshee,,,,sure as shoite a neighbor died that night.
          I'm a Freeborn Man of the Travellin' People

Comment

god no wonder im scared for life......our banshee who just lived down the road from you bigs.....both knocked on the door and wailed roflmao...imagine the terror of lying in bed listening to the bloody cats caterwauling and the dowlings shed banging......no wonder i have insominia..

mind you i do believe in the banshee myself..

Comment

holy tommie...that was terrifying for a child wasnt it...that used happen in our house too lol....

Comment

Always paid heed to what my mother saw and heard in the night,
                Was very pregnant and stayed overnight in Cabra, next day my mother is very agitated and says she saw Mrs So n So and my husband outside the wall of the Mater, the wall that was by the ICU as you went around the corner from Phibsborough, as far as I know both these people are in fine health.
                Next day we hear Mrs So n So was taken away in an ambulance to the Mater and a call from South Africa to say husband was very ill.

When the wailing was heard and the knock on the door, someone always died that night.

Comment

I have a book which has the same title as this thread. This has the potential to be a very interesting thread... its off to a great start already.

I'll tell a true story of a 'ghost' maybe tomorrow.

But I love the old legends and myths. And many are based in truth.
                  'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

I never believed in ghosts until I encountered my own one.

Comment

I related a true story that happened to me and my friend,on another thread, about seeing a couple of Ghosts at Rockbrook,,was scary,,

Comment

I never believed in ghosts until I encountered my own one.
                        Ah ya can't leave it there... c'mon ma'am the whole story!

Comment

jembo. I'm just thinking. Would you like us to start a thread for Ghosts, Banshees and things that go bump in the night, leaving this thread to you for the myths and legends?

Comment

Originally posted by tommie View Post
                            I related a true story that happened to me and my friend,on another thread, about seeing a couple of Ghosts at Rockbrook,,was scary,,
                            Tommie; were they wearing the mandatory white sheets? lol

Comment

Originally posted by Ed O'Gorman View Post
                              Tommie; were they wearing the mandatory white sheets? lol
                              No Ed,,if they were,there'd be shoite stains on em

Comment

Working...
                              X