Medals of the Irish Defence Forces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medals of the Irish Defence Forces

This is a list of the Medals of the Irish Defence Forces including medals for foreign service and peace keeping operations around the world.

I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
    Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Who would have been given these medals if anyone knows please
    Last edited by bigby; 23-09-2021, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigby View Post
      Who would have been given these medals if anyone knows please
      My Uncle had one of them.....I know he served during the ''Emergency'' Years....And his Greatcoat was our Duvet.....
      Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

An Bonn Seirbhíse ÉigeandÁl
        The Emergency Service Medal

Look under page 24 of the link
        Attached Files
        Last edited by jembo; 24-11-2015, 08:06 PM.

Comment

could Na Forsai Cosanta and An Forsa Cosanta Aitiuil be owned by the same person?

Comment

The medal above was issued to all that served in the FCA/LDF during the Emergency.

The two bars on the ribbon shows that the recipient served for the full Emergency period.
            'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

could Na Forsai Cosanta and An Forsa Cosanta Aitiuil be owned by the same person?
              The one with the thin red strip in the middle was awarded to members of the
              Permanent Defence Force, the Slua Muirí, the Fórsa Cosanta Áitiúil, Fórsa na nÓglach, 26 Infantry Battalion, the Army Nursing Service, and the Defence Forces Chaplaincy Service.

The red one with the broad white stripe was awarded to members of the Local Security Force, the First Aid Division and Volunteer Aid Section of the Irish Red Cross Society, and the Air Raid Precautions Organisation.

I might be right in saying that if someone served in any of the branches of the services for the qualifying periods they could have been awarded one of each medal.

Can anybody else add to this?

Comment

I found them today while doing a clear out, I think they may be my fathers

Comment

Very nice medals indeed. Family treasures.

Comment

I never saw them before, he died when I was 13 so never really got to know him.

Comment

I never saw them before, he died when I was 13 so never really got to know him.
                      Sorry to hear that you lost your Dad when you were so young.Have you got his service records? If so, it should show his medal entitlement.

Comment

I need to search through some of my mothers papers, family took a lot of things after my mother died.
                        I know he was based at Fermoy in 1942

Comment

I need to search through some of my mothers papers, family took a lot of things after my mother died.
                          I know he was based at Fermoy in 1942
                          I see he was in the services so the medals are likely to be his. As with most families papers are taken by different members and some get lost. Same happened in my family with our grandfather's WW1 record and it took a long time to piece it together again. The result was my trip to 'V' beach at Gallipoli earlier this year to commemorate the 100 year anniversary of the campaign.

Comment

With scanners now I think it should be easy to share, but that is not how it works sometimes. People are reluctant to part with something in case they do not get it back. Glad you got the information.

I also know he was based at Clancy Barracks also.

Comment

With scanners now I think it should be easy to share, but that is not how it works sometimes. People are reluctant to part with something in case they do not get it back. Glad you got the information.

I also know he was based at Clancy Barracks also.
                              Good luck in your search. I would be very interested to know the results.
                              Jembo.

Comment

Working...
                              X