Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"London in the Swinging Sixties Was the Place to Be" (Maire).

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "London in the Swinging Sixties Was the Place to Be" (Maire).

As I was only born in 1963, I know very little about either London or Dublin in the Swinging Sixties, but wanted to get an impression of what the differences were between the two cities at that time to those who experienced both, in terms of culture, music, etc......and why London was "the place to be".

Originally posted by KatieMorag View Post
    As I was only born in 1963, I know very little about either London or Dublin in the Swinging Sixties, but wanted to get an impression of what the differences were between the two cities at that time to those who experienced both, in terms of culture, music, etc......and why London was "the place to be".
    London was the home of ''sex drugs and special clinics''.........
    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Differences were quite simple really... London was 'the place to be'... and Dublin was 'the place not to be'....
      Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
        Differences were quite simple really... London was 'the place to be'... and Dublin was 'the place not to be'....
        Some women liked carrots in london only ever had them in stew in Dublin at the time

Comment

Speaking for myself only, my opinion is the '60s in Dublin marked the time when we started to emerge from the dark old days and there was a feeling of hope.

We had left tenement living and I was already a soldier in an army that was welcomed overseas.

Italian fashions were all the go for men. Before it was white shirts and ties, now it was coloured shirts and no ties.... hats were becoming a thing of the past... it seemed that everyone had a job of some kind and clothes shops were opening all over Dublin catering to the teens who now actually had money to spend.

The church became less important to many of the younger generation and I noticed that women were starting to refuse to wear scarves to church, and were wearing jeans and other trousers despite the protests from priests that women should be 'properly' dressed in church. The same priests must have been having mass heart attacks (no pun intended) when the mini skirt and even the micro mini made an appearance.

Record shops were opening because we had left the diddley eye days behind and were conscious of real music. Though of course we never lost our love for the traditional ballads which were going strong in pubs and clubs.

Women started to be conscious of womens issues, and were less inclined to be treated as second class citizens, though they were only starting to get equal pay with their male counterparts.

There was a general feeling at last of the glass being half full.
          'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Thanks Rashers. With regard to music, how did the experience of the young Dubliner compare, do you think, with young people in London? I've heard of "Showbands" which seem to have been outfits of about 7 or 8 men in suits playing a mixture of Irish music and covers of "pop" music, and "beat" groups which were smaller and perhaps more original(?) And I know there were Irish charts as well as UK ones. Did RTE have a "pop" music station, and were there "pop" programmes on RTE like there were on British telly?

Comment

Originally posted by spire View Post
              Some women liked carrots in london only ever had them in stew in Dublin at the time
              i took mine out of the coddle......brought it to shepherds bush..........they loved it....

Comment

Does anyone apart from Rashers have any sensible responses to make?

Comment

katie......you wanted the truth, from memory........i posted it.......others will tell their story...

Comment

It was sensible it was a well known phrase to do with sexual freedom on London at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
                      katie......you wanted the truth, from memory........i posted it.......others will tell their story...
                      Perhaps you could expand a bit on "sex, drugs and special clinics" then; it would be a sight more interesting and informative than carrots.
                      I don't think everyone in London was having rampant sex, taking drugs or was infected with syphillis, but perhaps that was the image people in Dublin had of London?

Comment

Perhaps you could expand a bit on "sex, drugs and special clinics" then; it would be a sight more interesting and informative than carrots.
                        I don't think everyone in London was having rampant sex, taking drugs or was infected with syphillis, but perhaps that was the image people in Dublin had of London?

speaking for everybody...is making assumptions.......

i speak about the experiences of the area and crowd i associared with.....i lived in chiswick, camberwell, hounslow, vauxhall and hammersmith.....

spent lots of time in the west end......yes, london was the place to be....

Comment

I'm too young... have to wait for the Swinging '70's thread.

There were no pop stations in Ireland in the sixties... just Radio Eireann which played some pop music on the 'sponsored' programmes. People tuned into Radio Luxembourg... or BBC radio. There were charts though... think 'Spotlight' magazine put them together....

On TV... 'The Showband Show' and 'Hoot n'Nanny'... later 'Like Now' in 1970 or thereabouts... Danny Hughes was a presenter on that I think...
                          Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Originally posted by spire View Post
                            It was sensible it was a well known phrase to do with sexual freedom on London at the time.
                            Can you expand a bit on that Spire? As I said I was only born in the early 60s so I know very little about sexual attitudes in London (where I was born and have always lived) at that time. I do remember once asking my father if he'd ever dated English girls (he came to London in the 50s when he was well over 30) and his response was "no, they'd have wanted to go to bed with me!" - which I found highly amusing at the time! Was this a sterotype, much like the English one during the war about the Yanks being "over-sexed and over here"? I suspect it was, as I doubt my father had anything to do with English girls on a social level.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
                              I'm too young... have to wait for the Swinging '70's thread.

There were no pop stations in Ireland in the sixties... just Radio Eireann which played some pop music on the 'sponsored' programmes. People tuned into Radio Luxembourg... or BBC radio. There were charts though... think 'Spotlight' magazine put them together....

On TV... 'The Showband Show' and 'Hoot n'Nanny'... later 'Like Now' in 1970 or thereabouts... Danny Hughes was a presenter on that I think...
                              What were the "sponsored" programmes?

Comment

Working...
                              X