Oh Mein Papa (1954)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh Mein Papa (1954)

Oh, Mein Papa by Eddie Calvert and His Golden Trumpet, orchestra conducted by Norrie Paramor.

In memory of my Dad.

'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Reminds me of the saddest day in my life.,,,1971 I got a telegram saying my Da had just passed away,,I was in Aussie,,the radio was playing Eddie Calverts version,when I was opening the envelope.
    I'm a Freeborn Man of the Travellin' People

Comment

Its a lovely version Rashers. Eddie Fisher did a nice vocal version too.

Comment

As a nipper, I remember well we had a trumpeter the neighbourhood called Fluter, used to do the rounds of the pubs from the Coombe right up Clanbrassil St to Leonard's Corner, he would hit Fitzgeralds (Fitzers) later the Bunch of Grapes at bang on 6PM, ppl always checked their watches....the tune he played was this one...........Great lyrics and an interesting history;

OH, MY PA-PA
        Eddie Fisher
        Oh, my pa-pa, to me he was so wonderful
        Oh, my pa-pa, to me he was so good
        No one could be, so gentle and so lovable
        Oh, my pa-pa, he always understood.
        Gone are the days when he could take me on his knee
        And with a smile he'd change my tears to laughter
        Oh, my pa-pa, so funny, so adorable
        Always the clown so funny in his way
        Deep in my heart I miss him so today.

Oh, my pa-pa, to me he was so good
        No one could be, so gentle and so lovable
        Oh, my pa-pa, he always understood.
        Gone are the days when he could take me on his knee
        And with a smile he'd change my tears to laughter
        Oh, my pa-pa, so funny, so adorable
        Always the clown so funny in his way
        Deep in my heart I miss him so today

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O_mein_Papa
        We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Eddie Fisher's version...

Comment

Rashers I enjoyed both versions, particulary Eddie Fisher's, he truly had a great voice.Whenever I hear him sing I'm Walking Behind You it reminds me of my own father.

Comment

Originally posted by tommie View Post
              Reminds me of the saddest day in my life.,,,1971 I got a telegram saying my Da had just passed away,,I was in Aussie,,the radio was playing Eddie Calverts version,when I was opening the envelope.
              What a coincidence Tommie....I'll never forget when I heard that my father had died....terrible time

Comment

Originally posted by paudge View Post
                Rashers I enjoyed both versions, particulary Eddie Fisher's, he truly had a great voice.Whenever I hear him sing I'm Walking Behind You it reminds me of my own father.
                One evening when I was a kid the mammies on our street were sitting at halldoor of our tenements, chatting.

A young lad of 12 passed and he was singing as people did back then. He climbed onto the roof of his 4 story tenement to catch a pigeon, fell and died.

We kids were all banned from singing this song as that was the one the young lad had been singing.

For him and for your dad....

Comment

I worked a few times with Johnny Carroll.....this was his callback tune

Comment

Originally posted by Rashers View Post
                    One evening when I was a kid the mammies on our street were sitting at halldoor of our tenements, chatting.

A young lad of 12 passed and he was singing as people did back then. He climbed onto the roof of his 4 story tenement to catch a pigeon, fell and died.

We kids were all banned from singing this song as that was the one the young lad had been singing.

For him and for your dad....

Thanks for that clip Rashers,ages since I last heard Eddie Fisher singing that song that brings back happy memories of the father.That was a very sad piece about that poor unfortunate lad,old songs rustle up many memories,some happy,some sad.

Comment

Working...
                    X