Debate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debate

Its great - we all have different view points but when a post turns into a bit of a witch hunt by an individual, it crosses the line and becomes bullying

Its happened to me and several other females by 1/2 males

I am against censorship but sometimes enough is enough

It appears to me that those who do not know about netiquette just spew out whatever they wish and its wrong

Respect other posters - we have lost many posters because of some who think they can say whatever they want behind a screen - a computer

Originally posted by Red Biddy View Post
    Its great - we all have different view points but when a post turns into a bit of a witch hunt by an individual, it crosses the line and becomes bullying

Its happened to me and several other females by 1/2 males

I am against censorship but sometimes enough is enough

It appears to me that those who do not know about netiquette just spew out whatever they wish and its wrong

Respect other posters - we have lost many posters because of some who think they can say whatever they want behind a screen - a computer
    Amen!

Comment

Amen again...hiding behind the screen gives them the ability and balls to say things they would never dare if they were right in front of you.....a cowardly way to operate if you ask me...

Comment

I come on here to have a chat, debate and sometimes confide stuff that tugs at my heart. I dont come here to deliberatly bully

Comment

Yes I have to agree,there are a few who do that.I can't see the need for it myself,maybe these people feel inferior about themselves and the internet gives them bottle? a debate is just that,no need to get downright nasty!

Comment

Sad but it happens and your right marie there is no need for it....they are given to bringing every thread into and onto the personal level...and derailing the conversation from any one who wants to actually follow the actual thread...very disruptive.

Comment

we are here to chat to become friends,to talk about probs, conflict over the world to find any solution by talks not by weapons or any demagogy we are quiet adults to build not to demolish...thats my own conviction

Comment

I come on here for the craic and to keep up with the news etc from home. I try to stay away controversial political topics because I hold a monority viewpoint and I'm sick to death of people trying to force their views on me. I find it easier to avoid confrontation with certain people than it would be to get them to acknowledge my right to hold a different opinion. I just sit back and watch. Sometimes it's hard to do. There's days on here I would love to rip some people a new arsehole but so far I've resisted the temptation as I don't want to get banned. Just walk away from arguments would be my advice FWIW.

Comment

Originally posted by Hagar View Post
                  I come on here for the craic and to keep up with the news etc from home. I try to stay away controversial political topics because I hold a monority viewpoint and I'm sick to death of people trying to force their views on me. I find it easier to avoid confrontation with certain people than it would be to get them to acknowledge my right to hold a different opinion. I just sit back and watch. Sometimes it's hard to do. There's days on here I would love to rip some people a new arsehole but so far I've resisted the temptation as I don't want to get banned. Just walk away from arguments would be my advice FWIW.
                  I mostly agree but if we all walk away, some will take over a perfectly democratic platform for debate and no debate happens

Comment

I just ignore comments I don't agree with or find offensive. (most of the time...) The fact is we're all of an age that we have our opinions based on our own experiences. We can voice our point of view but there's really no reason to argue about it because chances are slim we'll change each other's opinion. I love a good debate - but when I sense someone is being mean-spirited I back off. Life is too short to fight with virtual strangers. Have a laugh - play a game - test your wit - but don't get sucked into to someone else's mind game. Not worth the aggravation and you're not going to win.

Comment

Originally posted by Eileen View Post
                      I just ignore comments I don't agree with or find offensive. (most of the time...) The fact is we're all of an age that we have our opinions based on our own experiences. We can voice our point of view but there's really no reason to argue about it because chances are slim we'll change each other's opinion. I love a good debate - but when I sense someone is being mean-spirited I back off. Life is too short to fight with virtual strangers. Have a laugh - play a game - test your wit - but don't get sucked into to someone else's mind game. Not worth the aggravation and you're not going to win.
                      I am not here to win eileen, never have never will and do not care. But some walk all over the feelings of others, just as in the original forum all those years ago

Comment

I'm starting to think that the forum is becoming a bit of a battleground,internet thugs,as my grandson calls them,its sad that some people think they are authorities on the way of life in other countries,just because of news rags or biased tv programs,and this is not aimed at any one person on here,I am talking about people in general,who have either never actually lived in these countries or visited them once or twice for a holiday,and all of a sudden become authorities on native peoples of these places.to me this is like people judging everything that they have ever read about ireland,the men are drunks and wife abusers,they shoot and blow each other up all over the country,they are dirty,poor etc etc,not fair right? well I haved lived in the States for many more years than I have my own country,and I can say,hand on heart,I have never seen first hand,anyone being mistreated whether they were native Americans or black Americans,I am certainly not saying these things don't happen,of course they do,but you know there is inequality everywhere in the world ,if we keep fighting among ourselves about things we cannot possibly change what is the point in the forum? personally I have decided i'm not getting into any of these "debates" or pissing contests,as they have recently become,imho,I came on here for the craic and to reminisce and look at pictures of old and modern Ireland,and such,I have made some really lovely friends,and I certainly don't think I want to make enemies, life is to short for that carry on,so will stay out of these discussions from here on in!

Comment

agree

Comment

Originally posted by Red Biddy View Post
                            I am not here to win eileen, never have never will and do not care. But some walk all over the feelings of others, just as in the original forum all those years ago
                            I agree Liz. Some make very harsh statements and comments meant to bait - and that's why I try to avoid them. I'm just going to get upset and they'll get their jollies. Not worth it to me. You know I love you!

Comment

Nice to see so many sensible attitudes, haven't been on here long, but don't let the post count fool you (;@), have been on other forums and left because I couldn't be arsed with the amount of e-penis comparison and argument! Hope to stay here awhile!

Comment

Working...
                              X