Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• the price paid......

the reformation came.........

has Ireland payed too high a price for not reforming......?
    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Originally posted by quinner View Post

Reforming what exactly?

Comment

Originally posted by paladin View Post
      Reforming what exactly?

Ireland stayed a ''catholic'' country..........

Comment

Ireland stayed a ''catholic'' country..........
        Not sure what you're asking!

Comment

Originally posted by Slow Motion View Post
          Not sure what you're asking!

would it have been any better.....if Ireland had become a ''Protestant'' country.......

Comment

would it have been any better.....if Ireland had become a ''Protestant'' country.......
            Ah, from a historical perspective? I think probably not! I think the kind of persecution experienced here during the 'occupation' would have happened anyway and religion was merely a convenient excuse!

Comment

Ah, from a historical perspective? I think probably not! I think the kind of persecution experienced here during the 'occupation' would have happened anyway and religion was merely a convenient excuse!

landwise.....probably.....

the Normans (catholics) were willing to take land off anybody, including the anglo Saxons (catholics).......

before the reformation.....there was Norman English landlords.......after the reformation...we had British planters......

do you not think that religion played a big part in that....

Comment

landwise.....probably.....

the Normans (catholics) were willing to take land off anybody, including the anglo Saxons (catholics).......

before the reformation.....there was Norman English landlords.......after the reformation...we had British planters......

do you not think that religion played a big part in that....
                No! Greed, avarice, empire building, revenge, begrudgery, racism, yes! As I said religion is just an excuse and is used to hide the baser rationale behind committing what would otherwise be considered a grievous crime! How many times were "witches" burned at the stake or heretics tortured or basically anyone that those in power didn't like or had a grudge against, all behind the convenience of religion!

Comment

No! Greed, avarice, empire building, revenge, begrudgery, racism, yes! As I said religion is just an excuse and is used to hide the baser rationale behind committing what would otherwise be considered a grievous crime! How many times were "witches" burned at the stake or heretics tortured or basically anyone that those in power didn't like or had a grudge against, all behind the convenience of religion!

most of the words you used there.....also applied when catholics had the upper hand......like spain france and Portugal....

but, as the protestant aristocry mainly ruled......would not, ''going along'' not have been a better idea.......

Comment

most of the words you used there.....also applied when catholics had the upper hand......like spain france and Portugal....

but, as the protestant aristocry mainly ruled......would not, ''going along'' not have been a better idea.......
                    I was referring to religion in general not any one in particular! As for "going along", no I don't think it would have made any difference as the rationale for what happened had nothing to do with religion and other excuses would have been found!

Comment

I was referring to religion in general not any one in particular! As for "going along", no I don't think it would have made any difference as the rationale for what happened had nothing to do with religion and other excuses would have been found!

do you mean the same excuses that were used to take the land off the ''English'' peasants......

that was a fact of life in the history of the whole world......

millions of acres of common land was 'enclosed' by aristocrats in England and the uk.......

causing mass emigration...as sheep made more money than people...

the speakers seat in the house of commons is still called the ''woolsack'' because of the riches sheep made...

Comment

do you mean the same excuses that were used to take the land off the ''English'' peasants......

that was a fact of life in the history of the whole world......

millions of acres of common land was 'enclosed' by aristocrats in England and the uk.......

causing mass emigration...as sheep made more money than people...

the speakers seat in the house of commons is still called the ''woolsack'' because of the riches sheep made...
                        Yes, that's pretty much my point, and why I am not a big fan of organised religion, people use it as something to hide behind when they do something morally repugnant!

Comment

Religions are supposed to bring people together and I suppose they do, usually against a common enemy!

Comment

Yes, that's pretty much my point, and why I am not a big fan of organised religion, people use it as something to hide behind when they do something morally repugnant!

well, the area where I live......you can't turn around without hitting your elbow off a church wall......

maybe at one time there was standing room only.....but, I doubt if that is the case nowadays.....

Comment

Religions are supposed to bring people together and I suppose they do, usually against a common enemy!

well, that is borne out by the huguenots, calvanists, pilgrim fathers and such like....

parts of Europe and especially Germany were turned into wastelands by the 30 years war......

Comment

Working...
                              X