Pronunciation of the word 'the'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pronunciation of the word 'the'

Has anyone noticed that all newscasters, on all stations, are mispronouncing the word 'the'....?

Originally posted by nansson View Post
    Has anyone noticed that all newscasters, on all stations, are mispronouncing the word 'the'....?
    NO......
    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

dont they all say deh??

Comment

I haven't noticed any mispronunciation.

Comment

Not over here MKM.

Almost all of them pronounce the word as 'thee'. But I've also noticed it over your side.

Comment

I noticed lots of things that had become americanised when I went home yrs ago.
            I watch the bbc news in the morning and notice many spelling and grammatical mistakes you would not have seen yrs ago.
            Here sometimes you have to phone them up to actually understand what they are saying or trying to say lol.
            Guess it is acceptable to day in all walks of life to be poor at the job.
            Anyone buying a house here gets garbage compared to yrs ago and they were not that good then either but people accept it.
            Quality is out the window.

Comment

Originally posted by tolka1 View Post
              I noticed lots of things that had become americanised when I went home yrs ago.
              I watch the bbc news in the morning and notice many spelling and grammatical mistakes you would not have seen yrs ago.
              Here sometimes you have to phone them up to actually understand what they are saying or trying to say lol.
              Guess it is acceptable to day in all walks of life to be poor at the job.
              Anyone buying a house here gets garbage compared to yrs ago and they were not that good then either but people accept it.
              Quality is out the window.
              One word that has traversed the Atlantic is Iron which, in a couple of Irish ads. recently was pronounced Iorn.

Comment

Originally posted by Korky View Post
                I haven't noticed any mispronunciation.
                Have a listen over the next day or so and you'll see what I mean.

Comment

To be absolutely correct, the is pronounced as "the" in front of words beginning with consonant and as "thee" in front of words beginning with a vowel or an aspirated "h" that brings a following vowel into prominence. Much like the usage of the words "a" and "an".

Comment

Originally posted by Hagar View Post
                    To be absolutely correct, the is pronounced as "the" in front of words beginning with consonant and as "thee" in front of words beginning with a vowel or an aspirated "h" that brings a following vowel into prominence. Much like the usage of the words "a" and "an".
                    That sounds correct H... 'the end' doesn't sound right... should be the(e) end.

You'll have to forgive Nansson...he's from Glasnevin North.
                    Everything is self-evident.

Comment

If I'd known that I would have avoided polysyllabic words.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
                        That sounds correct H... 'the end' doesn't sound right... should be the(e) end.

You'll have to forgive Nansson...he's from Glasnevin North.
                        Ballynevin...!!

Comment

Originally posted by Hagar View Post
                          If I'd known that I would have avoided polysyllabic words.
                          I'll give you polysi....polysyb....polisyp.....anyway......

Mahatma Gandhi walked barefoot most of the time which produced a thick callus on his feet. He also ate very little which made him frail and, with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him a super fragile callused mystic hexed by halitosis.

Comment

Good info there; so is it 'an hotel'?

Comment

AFAIK either "a hotel" with the H pronounced or "an 'otel" with a silent H is acceptable.
                              I think Hiberno-English leans towards "a hotel", but then again we are only plebs.

Comment

Working...
                              X