The Magee Family Francis St Dublin.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Magee Family Francis St Dublin.

I am trying to trace my maternal grandfather who's name was Daniel Magee born 1896 and his fathers name was also Daniel Magee. I have found on the 1911 census a Daniel Magee similar birth date who's father was also Daniel Magee registered in Francis St Dublin. I know they are long gone but I would be glad of any information of their descendants to see if I am on the right track.

Originally posted by Maureen Teresa Hoare View Post
    I am trying to trace my maternal grandfather who's name was Daniel Magee born 1896 and his fathers name was also Daniel Magee. I have found on the 1911 census a Daniel Magee similar birth date who's father was also Daniel Magee registered in Francis St Dublin. I know they are long gone but I would be glad of any information of their descendants to see if I am on the right track.
    There's a double Dan Magee in 1901 here in Chancery Street....is it the same family ? http://www.census.nationalarchives.i...treet/1278813/
    Attached Files
    We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Do you know your grandmothers name Maureen

Comment

My grandmothers name was Mary Nestor and she was born about 1896 in Huddersfield West Yorkshire.She married Daniel Magee March 1919 and it was the marriage certificate which said his fathers name was also Daniel Magee.

Comment

Daniel Magee and Mary Nestor were married at St.Joseph's Church Huddersfield.

Comment

You might have this and it may or may not be your grandfather I was guessing the date of birth as the same as your grandmother or there abouts and Dublin as birthplace. The problem with this type of search is it could be a completly different person to whom you are looking for but it might be.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by jeangenie; 07-03-2014, 12:07 AM.

Comment

I would like to thank you for your help so far.Would it be possible to find out if Daniel born 1896, if his father is also Daniel.Due to my lack of knowledge I have got a copy of their marriage certificate dated 5th March 1919 which showed his age as 22 and his fathers name Daniel who's rank or profession as Secretary of Trade Union.
              Last edited by Maureen Teresa Hoare; 07-03-2014, 11:21 AM.

Comment

You have to go to the research room in Werburgh St Maureen and get a small form to put the details on. They usually charge to search the books and then a fee of €4 for the small copy of the details. Two types of searches may be undertaken at the genealogical/family history research facility:

A specific search covering a maximum of 5 years for a fee of €2.00
                A general search covering any number of years for a fee of €20.00 per day

A photocopy of an entry in the records can be purchased for €4.00.

If you copy the details down from above they will just charge the €4.00 per copy but it might not be your relative. It can be an expensive business if your not right. Detais you need are all on the list above except for the last 3.

Comment

Hi Maureen, The 1991 Census lists five Daniel Magees with father also Daniel Magee. Four of the five are from Northern Ireland -Antrim & Down - and the age of these Daniel Jnrs look too young to be marrying in 1919.
                  The fifth one is the Daniel Magee father & son in Francis Street. So if you're sure he was from Dublin this looks like a good bet. Daniel Jnr's occupation is given as a Messenger in Flour Mill.
                  Hope this helps,
                  Cheers,

Comment

Hi there, I guess you may know this but... your grandmother Mary Nestor appears age 4 in the 1901 English census with her brother James P (age 3) and her parents Michael (age 33) & Mary (age 28) Nestor. The address looks like No. 50 Lowerhead Row, Huddersfield. Also in the house is a Maggie Flanagan who was a sister of your Great Grandmother Mary Nestor (nee Flanagan). Both your Great Grandparents are shown as being born in Ireland.
                    Cheers.

Comment

I would like to thank you for your help so far.Would it be possible to find out if Daniel born 1896, if his father is also Daniel.Due to my lack of knowledge I have got a copy of their marriage certificate dated 5th March 1919 which showed his age as 22 and his fathers name Daniel who's rank or profession as Secretary of Trade Union.
                      That is very interesting regarding the father's profession. There is a Daniel Magee listed as an official of the Corporation Workers Union (CWU) in the index to the book "The Parliament of Labour: 100 Years of the Dublin Council of Trade Unions (Dublin 1986) found here It might be worthwhile getting a copy of the book.
                      Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Re-The Magee Family Francis St Dublin

Hi Bartleby I have not looked at my search for weeks due to sickness in the family. So I was surprised and delighted to find this information and all correct.If I am right and I am on the right Daniel Magee how can I find out when he went to England. I know when he married and when my mother was born 8.8.1925 his wife my grandmother died 1928ish and as far as I know he went back to Ireland leaving my mother in the care of her grandmother Mary Nestor nee Flanagan.Also where would I get the book The Parliament of Labour and would it help my search. I live in England most of the time but try to spend as much time as possible in the west of Ireland as we have a house there but at the moment that is limited due the sick member of my family.Thanks again for your time and trouble but if you could offer any help I would be grateful.Yours Maureen T Hoare nee Hastings.

Comment

Hi Bartleby I have not looked at my search for weeks due to sickness in the family. So I was surprised and delighted to find this information and all correct.If I am right and I am on the right Daniel Magee how can I find out when he went to England. I know when he married and when my mother was born 8.8.1925 his wife my grandmother died 1928ish and as far as I know he went back to Ireland leaving my mother in the care of her grandmother Mary Nestor nee Flanagan.Also where would I get the book The Parliament of Labour and would it help my search. I live in England most of the time but try to spend as much time as possible in the west of Ireland as we have a house there but at the moment that is limited due the sick member of my family.Thanks again for your time and trouble but if you could offer any help I would be grateful.Yours Maureen T Hoare nee Hastings.
                          If you contact the Irish Labour History Society here http://www.irishlabourhistorysociety.com/ they may be able to help you regarding the book and other information regarding the union official Daniel Magee.
                          Such is life - Ned Kelly

Comment

Re- Magee Family Francis St.What do the init

Thanks for your help.

Comment

Working...
                            X