Rathgar, 28th of January, 2010,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rathgar, 28th of January, 2010,

The Prestbyterian Church of God. 150 years old this year.
    Attached Files

The Church of the Three Patrons, Rathgar Road was built between 1860 and 1862 and was one of the last buildings of Patrick Byrne who built many churches in Dublin. The three patrons referred to are the Patron Saints of Ireland: Saints Patrick, Bridget and Columba. Unfinished, the exterior should have had a portico to relieve some of the austerity. The façade as built was designed by W.H. Byrne in 1891.

The interior is also quite austere, with a massive central space dominated by a giant order of Corinthian pilasters. The apse has an ambulatory, which has tiny curved chapels set into the walls. These were decorated by O’Neill & Byrne.
    Attached Files

Comment

St. Luke's Hospital.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bang Bang View Post
        St. Luke's Hospital.
        Thanks for the photo's Bang Bang , but St Lukes does not bring back good memories and still shiver when I pass it , but photo's are good , just not the memories,,,,,,,,Thanks
        It's nice to be important, but it is more important to be nice.

Comment

January, 28th, 2010
          Hello B B great photos bring back a lot of memories for me.I worked across the rd from the church in the hairdressers "Doris Hair Salon" back in the sixties.Deveneys shop was directly opposite on Rathgar rd and the Monument creameries was on the corner.To the right down rathgar Ave there was a house with a placque on it but it has been such a long time since I recalled any of it I cant remember who its to.can you help?
          My bosses daughter was married in this church and a girl I worked with was married in the Three Patrons.
          We used to see a lot of patients from St Lukes out walking,they werre from the country and usually skin cancer patients,it always made us count our blessings.
          Cheers
          Ita

Comment

Hi Ita,

I am so sorry that it took so long to respond to your kind posting but I would like to say how happy I am that the photographs brought back so many memories.

I always feel that it's nice to know that, although there have been a lot of changes here in Dublin, there are still many places that are pretty much the same.

Hope that all is well for you and yours on the other side of the world.

Comment

AS usual great photos Roddy

Comment

The Church of the Three Patrons, Rathgar Road was built between 1860 and 1862 and was one of the last buildings of Patrick Byrne who built many churches in Dublin. The three patrons referred to are the Patron Saints of Ireland: Saints Patrick, Bridget and Columba. Unfinished, the exterior should have had a portico to relieve some of the austerity. The façade as built was designed by W.H. Byrne in 1891.

The interior is also quite austere, with a massive central space dominated by a giant order of Corinthian pilasters. The apse has an ambulatory, which has tiny curved chapels set into the walls. These were decorated by O’Neill & Byrne.
                I made my confirmation in that church
                The mind is everything. What you think you become.

Comment

Reggie, I share your sentiments regarding St. Lukes. Today, 24 Jun 12, was the first time I have seen a picture of this place since I emigrated from Ireland in '76. My father went there for chemo but died of cancer in mid '75.

Comment

Working...
                  X