X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who remembers Mosney (Butlins)??

Hi all

Was just surfing on facebook & found this group

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...ref=nf&v=info# & joined it. There is an online petition to be signed if you think Mosne should reopen again as a summer camp. http://www.petitiononline.com/mosney/petition.html

Memories of many a summer visit I had with my school came flooding back to me. I also remember one incident that happened to me when i was about 7 years old, I leaned over to fix my shoe while being a passenger in a bumper car & I accidentially hit my mouth off the dashboard breaking two front baby teeth in the process. My friend who was a classroom assistant at the time was the driver & she got a fright. Was rushed over to A & E & they cleaned my mouth with water & then I asked for a glass of Coke and that calmed me down. Was afraid to go on the dodgem cars for a few years after that but I stil went to Butlins every year with the school. We also went a few times with my mum and we used to go swimming there. Loved the souvenir rocks and different rides there too. Sometimes my mum had business in Mosney as our family friend owned the supermarket there. I even worked with him a couple of times as a teenager & loged it down there. THe only downside about packing shelves etc was the sight of food always made me hungry! LOL!!!

Has anyone any memories of their visit to butlins as a child or bringng your kids there each summer??
    Last edited by Suzieq; 30-01-2010, 12:48 PM. Reason: typos
    UP THE DUBS!!!

Hi Suzie, my memories of Butlins (only day visits) was only one step up from Red Island in Skerries ........ dirty and cheap with a lot of "Ta Tas" poluting the place. I did like their Olympic pool though with the observation windows. It always reminded me of a rather lax prison camp ...... maybe I was hard to please even in those days ?

Comment

Loved the place but the wasps liked me.......... Every year i got stung Think my mother put somthing on me to attract them
      They are watching me

Comment

I remember having to police the beach at Gormonston Head and telling the would-be Romeos and Juliets from Mosney that they were on Department of Defence land and, Unless they wanted a .303, 0r 9mm round perforating their arses they better move back to Butlin's stretch of beach.

Comment

Originally posted by Bang Bang View Post
          I remember having to police the beach at Gormonston Head and telling the would-be Romeos and Juliets from Mosney that they were on Department of Defence land and, Unless they wanted a .303, 0r 9mm round perforating their arses they better move back to Butlin's stretch of beach.

Did the same work. A pair of lovers who had strayed to the rail embankment very nearly got an overdose when my companion slipped while armed with a Gustav.

Went into Butlins itself once or twice but didn't like the place
          'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

I remember having to police the beach at Gormonston Head

Bang Bang were you in the Army or Navel intelligence ?

Comment

I was in the 26th Battalion, (Old IRA) for 7 years until they 'Morphed' it into 'C' Company, 7th Battalion when the force was integrated.

Almost all of the 26th members left as we were very proud of our Battalion History. Rather than leave entirely. I transferred to An Polini Airm, ( the Military Police ).

The reason that that particular stretch of beach was dangerous for interlopers was because it contained a firing range on which sidearms, SMG's, MMG's and G.P.M.G.'s were fired regularly.

I came across one couple there on one occasion who were 'at it', told them brusquely to go back to the Mosney beach, Got a 'fcuk you' from yer man, planted my boot on his skinny arse and told his companion that, if she became pregnant as a result, she should call the youngster Fianna!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bang Bang View Post
                I was in the 26th Battalion, (Old IRA) for 7 years until they 'Morphed' it into 'C' Company, 7th Battalion when the force was integrated.

Almost all of the 26th members left as we were very proud of our Battalion History. Rather than leave entirely. I transferred to An Polini Airm, ( the Military Police ).

The reason that that particular stretch of beach was dangerous for interlopers was because it contained a firing range on which sidearms, SMG's, MMG's and G.P.M.G.'s were fired regularly.

I came across one couple there on one occasion who were 'at it', told them brusquely to go back to the Mosney beach, Got a 'fcuk you' from yer man, planted my boot on his skinny arse and told his companion that, if she became pregnant as a result, she should call the youngster Fianna!!
                myself and some pals used to meet wans from norn iron on the mosney beach , these were'nt necessarily catholic girls , we would go back to the chalets for drinking wine , etc. approx. 1968

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Patch View Post
                  Bang Bang were you in the Army or Navel intelligence ?
                  I have to admit, with reference to the ladies who encroached on the DOD, I got a very rare opportunity to conduct some gynacological studies. Many of the ladies were quite unconcerned to be coonfronted and made some very interesting offers, ( I was a fine looking fella back then)

However, as a decent, well brought-up product of the Christian Brothers, I refused to submit to temptation. Once I had noted, purely for the record, the total state of undress of the ladies, ( a task which took three to four minutes ) I would see them on their way.

(I suppose that it may have helped that one of the Range Officers was always facing that direction with his bins to his eyes.

I would love to know how many women were launched into maternity at Mosney. The numbers must have been astronomical.

I always thought of it as Billy Butlin's Knocking Shop!!!
                  Last edited by Guest; 30-01-2010, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinhoran View Post
                    myself and some pals used to meet wans from norn iron on the mosney beach , these were'nt necessarily catholic girls , we would go back to the chalets for drinking wine , etc. approx. 1968
                    The really interesting thing is the 'etc' bit.

Fair play to you Kevin, you were doing your bit then for cross-border cooperation, ( and being from across the border they would have a ready supply of johnnies)

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Patch View Post
                      Hi Suzie, my memories of Butlins (only day visits) was only one step up from Red Island in Skerries ........ dirty and cheap with a lot of "Ta Tas" poluting the place. I did like their Olympic pool though with the observation windows. It always reminded me of a rather lax prison

camp ...... maybe I was hard to please even in those days ?
                      Well I used to find it fun if I swam underwater in the indoor pool I could see the people in the pub or shopping etc. I think dan lowreys pub was one place where you had them windows looking up into the pool. Must've been great for the kids to swim in funtropica while the non swimming adults got pissed. Funtropica was the brand name for the pool in the 1990's & there was a slide too. I was stunned when it was made a refugee camp for refugees a few years back. Now people have to bring their kids to Butlins in the Uk or Trabolgan in Cork.

I never stayed in chalets in mosney as my mam's pal had a family mobile home on the site.
                      Last edited by Suzieq; 30-01-2010, 05:10 PM. Reason: typos
                      UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kevinhoran View Post
                        Ye were a little Divil Kevin ....lol....

I was never in Butlins in Mosney but I have had a few weekends here in the one in Bognor Regis ....it was ok for the children in the family ......allways went self catering though....

Comment

My Memories of Mosney are slightly warped.....heres what happened..

my friend and i booking into our cabin, walked past the general restaurant and remarked on the boxes of fish fingers laying outside....well what do you know....theres fish fingers for dinner....as we lay in bed sick as blooming dogs for two days, the plumbing in our cabin was kaput....so we had to crawl to the general bathrooms to be sick....naturally they said it wasnt anything to do with the fish fingers....we were 16 and it was our first vacation away on our own... lol....anyways i recovered a day or so before her...so i decided to go have some fun......rollerblading.....since id never been on skates before when i fell i wasnt surprised...but what did surprise me was i fell and broke the bone in my tail end hehehe...i was carried back to the cabin again...where i lay in agony for another 3 days watching my friend crawl back and forth to the bathroom area...(our plumbing was still kaput..) eventually thank god arrived the day to get home....she plans on carrying me to the train....but in the midst of packing we discover our train return tickets have disappeared..along with other stuff....seems during on of the trips to the bathroom someone raided our cabin...so i huff and puff and crawl out to the main road....she dragging the cases and loads of paper bags in case shes sick again..and we hitch a ride to dublin...thank god someone stopped..but god help them they had some nerve lol......anyways a trip to the dr, later confirmed we had a stomach virus, were dehydrated, and i had a broken bone.....a cut shed got on her hand had turned septic..

did we ever return to butlins.....not on your nelly...........even the name made me dive for the bathroom for years lol...

some holiday

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
                            My Memories of Mosney are slightly warped.....heres what happened..

my friend and i booking into our cabin, walked past the general restaurant and remarked on the boxes of fish fingers laying outside....well what do you know....theres fish fingers for dinner....as we lay in bed sick as blooming dogs for two days, the plumbing in our cabin was kaput....so we had to crawl to the general bathrooms to be sick....naturally they said it wasnt anything to do with the fish fingers....we were 16 and it was our first vacation away on our own... lol....anyways i recovered a day or so before her...so i decided to go have some fun......rollerblading.....since id never been on skates before when i fell i wasnt surprised...but what did surprise me was i fell and broke the bone in my tail end hehehe...i was carried back to the cabin again...where i lay in agony for another 3 days watching my friend crawl back and forth to the bathroom area...(our plumbing was still kaput..) eventually thank god arrived the day to get home....she plans on carrying me to the train....but in the midst of packing we discover our train return tickets have disappeared..along with other stuff....seems during on of the trips to the bathroom someone raided our cabin...so i huff and puff and crawl out to the main road....she dragging the cases and loads of paper bags in case shes sick again..and we hitch a ride to dublin...thank god someone stopped..but god help them they had some nerve lol......anyways a trip to the dr, later confirmed we had a stomach virus, were dehydrated, and i had a broken bone.....a cut shed got on her hand had turned septic..

did we ever return to butlins.....not on your nelly...........even the name made me dive for the bathroom for years lol...

some holiday
                            Jeesus you poor thing Helen - you must've been i agony wen you broke that bone - & that was bad luck about your cabin being kaput & u guys being sick too. I did however bang the tail end of my spine in Mosney just outside the supermarket when there was a show called Bru na Boine in the early 1990's - I tripped over a kerb and fell banging the tail end but got up immediately - just had a bot of a shock & was lucky i could walk & go into the show which was very enjoyable & i forgot my little fall.

This thread is also on t'udder forum & is about 5 pages long as they were getting great mileage out of it with their memories of their times in Mosney & how mosney opened up in 1948 etc.See here. My hubby doesn't remember going there as a kid with his school - I must admit that it was the Variety Club of Ireland that organised our school trips there every summer before our holidays started. Every time as summer hols approached I would have visions of going to Mosney during my holliers & sometimes that happened thanks to my mam!
                            Last edited by Suzieq; 30-01-2010, 06:19 PM.
                            UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

awww gosh...that fall really does you in eh...not only shocks your system..but sitting down?? ugh lol...

I never went with school or with the parents im not sure mosney existed in ireland when i was a kid....that was the first and only time i went for a holiday there..

mind you..when i was married with kids of my own willie and i took them there to meet some friends who were staying there from Boston with their kids.....and it wasnt a good holiday for them or day for us.....by the time we'd got there...hed left her...told her he was getting a divorce and took off back to the states and she spent the day crying...(they did get divorced).willie spent the day running after 8 kids and i hit the wine lol...

as i said....no good memories of butlins lol..

Comment

Working...
                              X