french Empire....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• french Empire....

like any other European seafaring nation with the ability......The French carved out a very large amount of overseas colonies.....

Add to that, their efforts to subjugate most of Europe.......

and even the mighty Russia......
    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Originally posted by quinner View Post
    like any other European seafaring nation with the ability......The French carved out a very large amount of overseas colonies.....

Did they give Vlad Putin lessons?

Comment

Originally posted by Ed O'Gorman View Post
      Did they give Vlad Putin lessons?

ed, you know the old French ''good idea''.........200,000 heads are better than one.....

old Nappo, went to Moscow with 40.000 camp followers......

then won the Moscow to Paris Marathon in record time......His favourite saying was.....''no man is an island''.....except me.....

Comment

If you're referring to French revolutionary or Napoleonic 'efforts to subjugate most of Europe' then I suggest liberate... educate...or emancipate... might be more appropriate terms. Most people in Europe were already 'subjugated' by centuries of misrule by their own landed gentry and royalty who claimed divine right to exercise tyrannic control over every aspect of their subjects daily lives.

Ireland was one of those cases in point - the United Irishmen,Tone and Emmet cried out for a French intervention - they knew from which quarter the real subjugation of this country stemmed from.
        Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
          If you're referring to French revolutionary or Napoleonic 'efforts to subjugate most of Europe' then I suggest liberate... educate...or emancipate... might be more appropriate terms. Most people in Europe were already 'subjugated' by centuries of misrule by their own landed gentry and royalty who claimed divine right to exercise tyrannic control over every aspect of their subjects daily lives.

Ireland was one of those cases in point - the United Irishmen,Tone and Emmet cried out for a French intervention - they knew from which quarter the real subjugation of this country stemmed from.

thanks cogs.....as you well know subjugating was carried out by almost anybody that had the power and the means to subjugate,

Australia's history of subjugating only ended very recently.....

Comment

thanks cogs.....as you well know subjugating was carried out by almost anybody that had the power and the means to subjugate,

now, before we go any further,...are we reading the same dictionary.....

SUBJUGATE..........TO BRING A GROUP OF PEOPLE UNDER YOUR CONTROL......

old Nappo wanted to bring most of Europe under his control...

what help he may have offered Ireland, I am confident that it was only in a self-interest kind of way....

Maybe you would like to start a thread about the British Empire..But, this forum being Irish, I am sure that all there is to know...is known......

now, old Nappo, the so called genius of tactics......could have retreated from Moscow and saved his mostly non-French Army.......

but, he knew best.....he came back the same old way.....the land had been virtually stripped bare, the peasants were up in arms......and old Nappo proved that he couldn't give a ''fiddlers feck'' about anybody but himself.......

YOUR TURN NOW COGS......say something nice about OLD NAPPO....

BUT, NOT IN SPANISH........PLEASE..

Comment

Your thread is not about Australian history... it relates to the 'French Empire'...

what help he may have offered Ireland, I am confident that it was only in a self-interest kind of way....

Maybe you would like to start a thread about the British Empire..But, this forum being Irish, I am sure that all there is to know...is known......

now, old Nappo, the so called genius of tactics......could have retreated from Moscow and saved his mostly non-French Army.......

but, he knew best.....he came back the same old way.....the land had been virtually stripped bare, the peasants were up in arms......and old Nappo proved that he couldn't give a ''fiddlers feck'' about anybody but himself.......

I've nothing to say about 'old nappo'. This is the History section of the forum... if you are referring to Napoleon, then say so.

You've already defined 'subjugation' - in my post I pointed out that those countries which attacked France during the revolutionary period had a long history of subjugating their own subjects - and were panicked by the developments in the French Revolution... lest they be exported to their own people.

The Enlightenment and Age Of Reason which preceded the revolution are the basis of modern liberal democracy - the incorporation of political and religious tolerance in modern states were based around those principles.

Do you have a problem with those principles and ideals ?
              Everything is self-evident.

Comment

Your thread is not about Australian history... it relates to the 'French Empire'...

I've nothing to say about 'old nappo'. This is the History section of the forum... if you are referring to Napoleon, then say so.

You've already defined 'subjugation' - in my post I pointed out that those countries which attacked France during the revolutionary period had a long history of subjugating their own subjects - and were panicked by the developments in the French Revolution... lest they be exported to their own people.

The Enlightenment and Age Of Reason which preceded the revolution are the basis of modern liberal democracy - the incorporation of political and religious tolerance in modern states were based around those principles.

Do you have a problem with those principles and ideals ?

Never had a problem with history, I thought you would have noticed that I excelled with the subject....

My only personal experience of subjugating......Was the failed efforts of the Catholic Church to subjugate myself as a schoolchild.....

old nappo, did not start the French revolution....in fact he was inclined to be against it's principles until he realised that he could make some personal gains by supporting it....

Comment

I've nothing to say about 'old nappo'.
                  Yeah, less of dis Nappo business I say. Now Napol we could understand, but this Nappo caper doesn't sit well at all, sounds like havin a siesta. Mind you, te be totally democratic, we could have a poll.
                  We'll sail be the tide....aarghhhh !!

Comment

Originally posted by DAMNTHEWEATHER View Post
                    Yeah, less of dis Nappo business I say. Now Napol we could understand, but this Nappo caper doesn't sit well at all, sounds like havin a siesta. Mind you, te be totally democratic, we could have a poll.

or a ''nappo'' .......

just my pet name for the man who liked to subjugate.......

I don't think that his invasion of Spain (trying to subjugate) could in any sense of the word.....be described as having a siesta......

I have no doubt, that had the Spaniards caught him.....he would have suffered the most horrific death imaginable......and deservedly so......

Comment

I loved his sideways hat.lol

Comment

Originally posted by Ed O'Gorman View Post
                        I loved his sideways hat.lol

that was impressive ed........

I think his NAPPOTISM was very welcomed.....Nothing more impressive than having a few Kings as relatives....

Telling his troops that they could Rape, Pillage, and go home with all the loot........
                        Well, that was the start of our present day Benefits System......

Comment

Working...
                        X