The Germans... :)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Germans... :)

It´s for a little view of some weird stereotypes etc...

http://unorderedlistadventures.blogs...steps.html?m=1
    Best wishes
    Zurn

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Originally posted by Zurn View Post

I love it! And this quote from the blog reminded me of something:
    I think the often exaggerated stereotype that Germans love to follow the rules all comes down to one little illuminated red man. Guardian and God of the crossing pedestrian. To dare challenge his authority and step gingerly out into a completely empty road when he is still red, is to take great personal risk.

Not of getting run over, the road is completely empty after all. Bar being struck by an invisible car, you’re safe.

No, what you really risk is the scorn, the tutting and the shouts of “Halt!” from nearby Germans. Who will now consider you an irresponsible, possibly suicidal, social renegade.
    Ah yes. Attempting to cross an empty road, no cars, no bikes nothing except a red light, when to my surprise some nearby citizens called on me to halt! I thought I was going to be publicly flogged for daring to disobey the little red man.
    'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

hahhahaa.......^5

Comment

I've been to Germany several times but did not recognize it from this blog.
        1. The Germans I know do wear slippers but so do many Irish people.
        2. I have had bigger breakfasts and cooked hot food too in Ireland than I was ever offered in Germany. If you want something hot there, hope it is a Sunday and you might get a boiled egg.
        3. Most people everywhere make plans.
        4. Everyone talks about insurance in Ireland where people have their cars, houses, health, travel, dogs, and all sorts of stuff insured.
        5. It is true that Germans wear jackets and Irish people go about in short sleeves when it is freezing outside as long as it is officially spring.
        6. I never learned German but managed to pick up some useful words but as for it having genders, so does French, Spanish, Italian, etc etc. English is the odd one out.
        7. Educational qualifications are naturally important in Germany but, unlike Ireland, people can actually get a good education there where apprenticeships are open to all and third level education is not rationed with a points system as it is in Ireland.
        8. I have not noticed Irish people disregarding traffic lights as a rule.
        9. Apple juice is popular in Germany. It was Hitler's favorite drink.
        10/11. German food is delicious. I always make a point of having venison when I visit Saxony. I was never offered sauerkraut but had a lot of red cabbage.
        12. I agree that earning a living is important to Germans.
        13. Germans would never allow me to open a bottle of beer; they always did this for me.
        14. Last year I asked my friend for some bread and jam at teatime. He was trying to tempt me with cold cuts and spreadable cheese but it took me three attempts saying exactly what I wanted before it came.
        15. My friends in Saxony do not think Frankfurt am Mein is the capital of Germany.
        16. The Bavarians are good at making money, to be sure. On my visit to Mödlareuth last July I noticed the visitor center was situated on the Bavarian side of the village rather than Thuringia, thereby insuring all the tourist money went to Bavaria. Cute.
        17. I saw no-one naked in public there.
        18. My friend could afford a motorbike only when I first met him but now drives a Škoda. Cars were never a topic in any conversation I had in Germany.
        19. Sunday was a day of rest there except for the Hausfrau of the Pension where I stayed.
        20. I never heard of Tatort.
        21. The bread was better than anything I ever got in England.
        22. I will take the author's word for it that Germans use lots of smilies in emails. I don't know.
        23. I never noticed anyone spending a long time saying "Tschüss".
        24. My German friends would be offended if they thought I felt an obligation to bring potato salad or any food to their home.
        25. Yes, toasting is fun in Germany. It is an excuse to fill a glass. You will never be allowed to have an empty glass there.
        Last edited by Korky; 28-04-2014, 01:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Zurn: I loved it.I worked in Fulda,and had a blast.It took a little time to get used to the German way of doing things,but you always know where you stand,with their direct approach to doing things.The beer is the best in the world,and the people great,and the country beautiful.

Comment

a big bowl of black pudding, freshly made and shaken onto a plate........a few freshly cut slices of rye bread and butter.....

after an appetiser of a few bottler of ''Dortmunder'' beer and a couple of nips of schnapps....

it still sticks in my mind after 52 years......thanks to a farmer and his wife from just outside Warburg........
            Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

That was great Zurn.

Comment

Hitched around Germany in the spring of 1979 with a mate of mine at the time... crossed the border from Holland near Arnhem having fled Amsterdam (long story !!) - after that it was all a bit of a haze - a cross between Withnail And I and Easy Rider... without the bikes.

Ended up in Frankfurt, thought it was a bit of a dump and moved on... slept in an orchid outside Geissen for a while and lived on apples and vodka - then got a lift up to Bremen from a disco record producer who had studios there and in Munich - he was mega rich and insisted we stay in his apartment in the city centre. They had brown beer in Bremen unlike everywhere else in Germany - where they drank lager... even for breakfast.

I've been back to Germany a number of times since... but first impressions are all important. Good country...
                Everything is self-evident.

Comment

a little story.....

in the early 60s......there were a sort of German teddy-boys called the halb-stagger.....

two young squaddies just arrived in Germany went out for a drink......tey were beaten up by a group of the teddy-boys.....

they belonged to the Scottish regiment called the Cameronions......

well, virtually the whole regiment went out a few nights later....armed with pick halves......they wrecked the Town and anybody that dared to get in their way.....

the BOAR...was put on a curfew for some time after that.......and the Cameronions were sent home....to the UK

there's me.....a big grown up teenager, and I had to be home before eleven....

the Cameronions were known as the POISON DWARFS
                  Last edited by quinner; 29-04-2014, 12:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Korky View Post
                    20. I never heard of Tatort.
                    It´s translated as "crime scene" I think. It´s a Sunday evening broadcast, and they are many locations. Crime Scene Duisburg, Crime Scene Leipzig, Crime Scene Cologne etc. Every broadcast is 90 minutes long.
                    Sometimes exciting, sometimes really boring.
                    Best wishes
                    Zurn

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
                      a little story.....

in the early 60s......there were a sort of German teddy-boys called the halb-stagger.....

two young squaddies just arrived in Germany went out for a drink......tey were beaten up by a group of the teddy-boys.....

they belonged to the Scottish regiment called the Cameronions......

well, virtually the whole regiment went out a few nights later....armed with pick halves......they wrecked the Town and anybody that dared to get in their way.....

the BOAR...was put on a curfew for some time after that.......and the Cameronions were sent home....to the UK

there's me.....a big grown up teenager, and I had to be home before eleven....

the Cameronions were known as the POISON DWARFS
                      There was no hospitality from this German guys. Maybe they were angry short time after the WWII.... I don't know.
                      But we have a lot of beatnicks in the presence, too.
                      Best wishes
                      Zurn

Comment

There was no hospitality from this German guys. Maybe they were angry short time after the WWII.... I don't know.
                        But we have a lot of beatnicks in the presence, too.

zurn......we did not judge the German nation by the actions of those idiots.....

17 years after ww2......I spoke to many ex German soldiers, and some still serving in the landwehr.......

I found no animosity towards what could be wrongly be described as an Army of occupation......
                        many German civilians worked in our barracks........and day to day contact was on a very friendly basis......

except for the milkman (because we stole his milk when the opportunity arose)

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
                          except for the milkman (because we stole his milk when the opportunity arose)
                          *lol* The poor milkman.
                          Best wishes
                          Zurn

Comment

So I created...or started to create a GErman course.... for everybody who want to learn a little bit German.

Learn German online fast with courses that are useful and authentic: you'll learn German as it's used by native speakers.
                            Best wishes
                            Zurn

Comment

So I created...or started to create a GErman course.... for everybody who want to learn a little bit German.

http://www.memrise.com/course/355930/german-by-zurn/
                              Thanks for that site Zurn, and well done.

I'm about to register.
                              'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Working...
                              X