Sunshine house balbriggan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunshine house balbriggan

I visited Balbriggan today just see if sunshine house is still there. I went there for a weeks holiday back in the mid 50's and I have great memories of the place.
    With the help of 3 gents of my own vintage I met in the main street, I was directed straight to it.
    I parked my car at the end of the street and the memories came flooding back.
    The walk from the train station with at least 100 other boys, past the sports field to the big 2 story building. Back then this was really exciting.
    As I stood outside the locked gates, savouring the memories of way back then, I heard the laughter of many children coming from within the building.
    I pressed the bell on the gate and chanced I might be allowed inside the front door.
    One of the carers came to the gate and when I explained I had been here in the 1950's he invited me in, where I was teamed up with a really nice man called Danny from O'Devany gardens.
    Apologising for disturbing them, I was told think nothing of it, as they frequently get callers with the same story as me and they rarely turn anyone away.
    Danny then treated me to a tour of the building, including the dining hall, dormitories, and the concert hall.
    It was quite an emotional visit for me, and many aspects of my stay came flooding back. One memory in particular was prompted when Danny said, do you remember being "MADE" to send a postcard home.
    As I was leaving we passed the dining hall where they were serving up lunch, and the laughter and sounds that only a gang of kids can make filled the air.
    What a lovely experience it was.
    I have been meaning to make that visit for so many years now, and today I finally did it.
    Without the good people in St Vincent De Paul, the likes of sunshine house would not exist.
    I have always held them in high, as they helped our family in ballyfermot back then, and today they were ratcheted up many more notches, if thats possible.
    The attached photo shows kids from the 50's in the concert hall, I could easily be one of them.
    Photo 2 shows the front of the house taken yesterday.

I posted this yesterday in an area titled balbriggan, but thought I would repost it here in case anyone else ever thought of revisiting. In my experience you will be made very welcome.
    Attached Files
    Old age and treachery will outdo youth and skill anyday

Originally posted by Sharkface View Post
    I visited Balbriggan today just see if sunshine house is still there. I went there for a weeks holiday back in the mid 50's and I have great memories of the place.
    With the help of 3 gents of my own vintage I met in the main street, I was directed straight to it.
    I parked my car at the end of the street and the memories came flooding back.
    The walk from the train station with at least 100 other boys, past the sports field to the big 2 story building. Back then this was really exciting.
    As I stood outside the locked gates, savouring the memories of way back then, I heard the laughter of many children coming from within the building.
    I pressed the bell on the gate and chanced I might be allowed inside the front door.
    One of the carers came to the gate and when I explained I had been here in the 1950's he invited me in, where I was teamed up with a really nice man called Danny from O'Devany gardens.
    Apologising for disturbing them, I was told think nothing of it, as they frequently get callers with the same story as me and they rarely turn anyone away.
    Danny then treated me to a tour of the building, including the dining hall, dormitories, and the concert hall.
    It was quite an emotional visit for me, and many aspects of my stay came flooding back. One memory in particular was prompted when Danny said, do you remember being "MADE" to send a postcard home.
    As I was leaving we passed the dining hall where they were serving up lunch, and the laughter and sounds that only a gang of kids can make filled the air.
    What a lovely experience it was.
    I have been meaning to make that visit for so many years now, and today I finally did it.
    Without the good people in St Vincent De Paul, the likes of sunshine house would not exist.
    I have always held them in high, as they helped our family in ballyfermot back then, and today they were ratcheted up many more notches, if thats possible.
    The attached photo shows kids from the 50's in the concert hall, I could easily be one of them.
    Photo 2 shows the front of the house taken yesterday.

I posted this yesterday in an area titled balbriggan, but thought I would repost it here in case anyone else ever thought of revisiting. In my experience you will be made very welcome.
    I remember it well SF.....
    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
      I remember it well SF.....
      I think my Auntie organised it for me......my parents wouldn't allow any members of catholic organisations to cross our door.....Mostly my Dad though...
      Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Working...
      X