Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clothes drying

Saw this on another site: It might start a good discussion here

Wet washing dried indoors can pose a serious health threat for people with weakened immune systems or severe asthma, doctors have warned.

Research shows clothes draped on drying frames or warm radiators can raise moisture levels in the home by up to 30%, creating ideal breeding conditions for mould spores.

Experts are particularly concerned about Aspergillus fumigatus spores, which can cause lung infections.

Professor David Denning and his team at the National Aspergillosis Centre in Manchester, England have issued the warning after treating a growing number of patients who have inhaled Aspergillus fungal spores.

Prof Denning said: "One load of wet washing contains almost two litres of water, which is released into the room.

"Most of us are either immune to the fungus which grows in these humid conditions, or have a sufficiently healthy system to fight the infection.

"But in asthma sufferers it can produce coughing and wheeziness, and in people with weak or damaged immune systems, such as cancer patients undergoing chemotherapy, Aids patients and people who have an auto immune disease like Craig, the fungus can cause pulmonary aspergillosis - a condition which can cause irreparable, and sometime fatal, damage to the lungs and sinuses.

"My advice would be when in doubt dry wet washing outside, in a tumble dryer or in a well-ventilated indoor space away from bedrooms and living areas to be safe rather than sorry."

UP THE DUBS!!!

suzie drying clothes outdoors can cause havoc if you have a weakened autoimmune system...pollen etc etc....the safest way really to dry stuff and not worry about kicking the bucket is in a clothes dryer....god help us all when our mammies dried the clothes on the line...no wonder we all have allergies

seriously though..i cant dry anything outdoors for fear of a reaction..

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
      suzie drying clothes outdoors can cause havoc if you have a weakened autoimmune system...pollen etc etc....the safest way really to dry stuff and not worry about kicking the bucket is in a clothes dryer....god help us all when our mammies dried the clothes on the line...no wonder we all have allergies

never heard of that before.......
      Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
        never heard of that before.......
        Joe;You're back! I missed your word smithing.lol

Comment

well you heard it now quinner hehe.....unfortunately its true.

Comment

well you heard it now quinner hehe.....unfortunately its true.
            yes...I live and learn.....and life is daily full of surprises......

Just the other day kath's friend was going on about the ''five a day'' and how healthy eating fruit is.....

I pointed out to her that in have been very healthy all my working life.....And that my problems have only arrived after a long hard working life.......Yet, the amount of fruit I eat a year could be put in one small paper bag......

It proves we are all different.....

Comment

true...I think though the food we eat has changed a lot too...even the fruit..i have strawberries in the fridge the size of a small country lol...do you wonder we all have allergies now we didnt have years ago

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
                yes...I live and learn.....and life is daily full of surprises......

Just the other day kath's friend was going on about the ''five a day'' and how healthy eating fruit is.....

I pointed out to her that in have been very healthy all my working life.....And that my problems have only arrived after a long hard working life.......Yet, the amount of fruit I eat a year could be put in one small paper bag......

It proves we are all different.....
                That's amazing Joe .... I would have thought you ate a plate of sour grapes every day.... lol !!
                "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

Comment

Does the slice of lemon in a G&T count as one of my 5 a day?

Comment

Originally posted by Hagar View Post
                    Does the slice of lemon in a G&T count as one of my 5 a day?
                    No...

Where's your 5/8th gone...
                    It is what it is.

Comment

Originally posted by riposte View Post
                      That's amazing Joe .... I would have thought you ate a plate of sour grapes every day.... lol !!
                      rip, I consume lots of vegetables........in my stride......

Comment

yes it does hagar...dont mind what people say.....i count it as a portion too....sometimes i interchange it with a lime.....and that counts as well..

Comment

Bringing this thread back on topic:

Interesting point Helen. I wool washed an aran cardi last week, hung it out to dry but took it in as the clothes were still damp come 4pm. Hung the cardi on rad in my bedroom. Later hubby thought the smell was from a hair product i used. I said it was my aran cardi which was washed that day. Hubby said it shudnt smell like that.

I do find it harder drying laundry in the winter being honest since my miserable git of a hubby won't get a tumble dryer. I do use a clothes horse to hang washing on if its raining out lol.

Briefly on the subject of allergies, i've been using non biological washing tabs & fabric conditioner for my laundry. Have to do this as my elder daughter has a small amount of eczema on her skin. Even midwives in maternity hospitals recommend non biological tabs etc for washing babies clothes.
                          UP THE DUBS!!!

Comment

From a seven night a week drinker to virtual tee-total.....12 years now.......

Comment

awww suzie thats gotta be hard...i dont know how you cope with two small kids and no dryer..considering you must be constantly washing for them.....theres a lota pine trees around here.....and if i dry clothes outside they pick up residue or something blowing in the wind.....so allergies ....also theres a lota rag weed around.. canada is the land of allergies

My neighbor in ballinteer didnt have a dryer either and she had 4 little ones...so she went on strike till the hubby bought one...took a week of striking before one arrived...go on strike suzie

Comment

Working...
                              X