Charlie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charlie

Anyone watch the new RTE drama on Haughey tonight ? I thought it was very funny in parts... intentional or not.

dgHaughey.jpg
    Everything is self-evident.

Rubbish .... I know primary school children who write better than that...... and probably know more about Haughey. Drama via wikipedia.
    "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

Comment

Originally posted by riposte View Post
      Rubbish .... I know primary school children who write better than that...... and probably know more about Haughey. Drama via wikipedia.
      A great Politician and Patriot......
      Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

No belly laughs around the Riposte living room ?? I thought the Sean Doherty character was a howl.

Comment

I knew both Haughey and Lenihan .... and I was Public Relations Officer for Sinn Fein in Dublin at that time.

Southpark, The Simpsons and Sesame Street were less cartoonish than this mess.

It's not funny, it's not true and completely fails to capture the athmosphere of the time.

Vaughan Lawlor will be glad to forget it as soon as possible.
          Last edited by riposte; 05-01-2015, 01:54 AM.
          "Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, misdiagnosing it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies.”

Comment

I knew both Haughey and Lenihan .... and I was Public Relations Officer for Sinn Fein in Dublin at that time..

I know you were... and I agree it's an outrage they've written your part out of the story - Daniel Day Lewis would have been perfect for the challenging role of portraying yerself. Maybe a brisk email and a call to Joe tomorrow might be in order...

Comment

Originally posted by cogito View Post
              I know you were... and I agree it's an outrage they've written your part out of the story - Daniel Day Lewis would have been perfect for the challenging role of portraying yerself. Maybe a brisk email and a call to Joe tomorrow might be in order...

lol !!

Comment

''Politics is the last refuge of a scoundrel''........

Comment

Will put up the link to the RTE player when it becomes available...

Comment

Anyone watch the new RTE drama on Haughey tonight ? I thought it was very funny in parts... intentional or not.

[ATTACH]60352[/ATTACH]
                    Second episode tonight covering the GUBU period was even funnier than the first... high comedy.

Comment

Well it opened my eyes I can tell you . There I was thinking Charlie was living the high life hob nobbing with the gentry and all the time he was hanging around what looked like Marys' Mansions looking for Tony Gregory and handing out loads of the folding stuff to unemployed shop assistants to tidy them over while they emigrated to England . If only I could turn the clock back ......

Comment

I thought last night's episode was better, Aidan Gillen has caught Haughty spot on, I heard a clip on S. O'Rourke this morning and when you hear him in audio only it is uncanny, he must have studied Charlie's voice at length. Sean Doherty's daughter, a Councillor in Roscommon, rang O'Rourke to say how she was disgusted for the way her da was portrayed: trotted out the usual; lovely man, great dad, all he did for the people of Roscommon etc, etc. She wouldn't discuss the illegal phone tapping or the interference in a court case as these matters were " historical" and as she was 12 at the time she had no knowledge of them!.

Comment

Originally posted by Aulddub View Post
                          I thought last night's episode was better, Aidan Gillen has caught Haughty spot on, I heard a clip on S. O'Rourke this morning and when you hear him in audio only it is uncanny, he must have studied Charlie's voice at length. Sean Doherty's daughter, a Councillor in Roscommon, rang O'Rourke to say how she was disgusted for the way her da was portrayed: trotted out the usual; lovely man, great dad, all he did for the people of Roscommon etc, etc. She wouldn't discuss the illegal phone tapping or the interference in a court case as these matters were " historical" and as she was 12 at the time she had no knowledge of them!.
                          Yeh heard that , she was the consummate politician if ever there was one.

Comment

Mary O'Rourke was on the same trail last week... lamenting over the portrayal of her Brian as a buffoon - and from a family perspective I suppose you'd have to have sympathy for her... as also with Doherty's daughter.

Bottom line though is that somebody has to call it as it was... there's enough truth in there to show new generations how we ended up where we are... and for those of us old enough to remember there's enough to encapsulate the era into some kind of dramatic narrative... and remain entertaining.

Comment

Mary O'Rourke was on the same trail last week... lamenting over the portrayal of her Brian as a buffoon - and from a family perspective I suppose you'd have to have sympathy for her... as also with Doherty's daughter.

Bottom line though is that somebody has to call it as it was... there's enough truth in there to show new generations how we ended up where we are... and for those of us old enough to remember there's enough to encapsulate the era into some kind of dramatic narrative... and remain entertaining.
                              Sort of a Cartoon lampooning Politicians.......

Sort of bad timing for ''Charlie''...

Comment

Working...
                              X