Basic Survival Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basic Survival Kit

Do you carry a basic survival kit wherever you go? I definitely do. Let's talk about the very basic items we always carry with us no matter where we go or how far we plan to stray from home.
    I am using an old ammo bag or small rucksack to carry my survival gear. What I will carry depends on a variety of circumstances. But here I am listing the items I will always carry on me. Wouldn't leave home without them, no matter what.

Multi tool (includes pliers, small chisel and pen knife).

Fire lighting equipment: At least two cigarette lighters, two large sheets of newspaper in a small waterproof plastic bag. Some pieces from a broken plastic flower pot. They are ideal for starting a fire even in very wet conditions.

Medical supplies: At least 4 large band aids kept in a small waterproof container.

Basic survival food : One small package (500 gr) Spaghetti and at least four teabags.

Rain gear: Waterproof PVC trouser, PVC jacket or military style poncho. During the winter I use the heavy duty German Bundeswehr poncho. I have a light-weight poncho for the summer. Ex-military as well, I believe it's French, but I am not sure.

This is my very basic pack and I would never leave home without it. It's always ready packed and permanently sitting near the front door.
    Camouflage

Stockpile supplies, learn survival skills, pray!

Originally posted by Camouflage View Post
    Do you carry a basic survival kit wherever you go? I definitely do. Let's talk about the very basic items we always carry with us no matter where we go or how far we plan to stray from home.
    I am using an old ammo bag or small rucksack to carry my survival gear. What I will carry depends on a variety of circumstances. But here I am listing the items I will always carry on me. Wouldn't leave home without them, no matter what.

Multi tool (includes pliers, small chisel and pen knife).

Fire lighting equipment: At least two cigarette lighters, two large sheets of newspaper in a small waterproof plastic bag. Some pieces from a broken plastic flower pot. They are ideal for starting a fire even in very wet conditions.

Medical supplies: At least 4 large band aids kept in a small waterproof container.

Basic survival food : One small package (500 gr) Spaghetti and at least four teabags.

Rain gear: Waterproof PVC trouser, PVC jacket or military style poncho. During the winter I use the heavy duty German Bundeswehr poncho. I have a light-weight poncho for the summer. Ex-military as well, I believe it's French, but I am not sure.

This is my very basic pack and I would never leave home without it. It's always ready packed and permanently sitting near the front door.

Why do you need to have this Camo???? What are you anticipating happening...that is a serious question, not taking the p**s

Comment

Originally posted by Womblemum View Post
      Why do you need to have this Camo???? What are you anticipating happening...that is a serious question, not taking the p**s
      Anything could happen, even a natural disaster could cut me off from my home for a few days. My basic pack enables me to survive comfortably for at least two days. Enough time to either get home again or improvise further, making other arrangements.
      Always hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.
      Camouflage

Comment

Your glass is always half empty?

People with half full glasses live a happier life.
        'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

is this you in action camo. if not you probably thought him all the tricks

Comment

Originally posted by jeangenie View Post
            is this you in action camo. if not you probably thought him all the tricks
            I always regarded MacGyver as a liberal. Believe it or not, but some of the things he did actually work in real life . His Swiss Army knife was an original Victorinox. One of the best makes you can buy.
            Camouflage

Comment

Anything could happen, even a natural disaster could cut me off from my home for a few days. My basic pack enables me to survive comfortably for at least two days. Enough time to either get home again or improvise further, making other arrangements.
              I believe in meeting a challenge Camo but to live as you do in a constant state of dread of what is to happen must be exhausting! Have you no friends who you could turn to "if cut off from home"? Or do you not trust anyone enough to call on them ?

Comment

CAMMO'S RIGHT, ye should NEVER leave home without a survival kit. I always carry mine but it ries from situation to situation. For instance :-

A) GOING FOR A NEIGHBOURHOOD WALK.
                i) I carry a big stick with a nail sticking out through it in case any nasty chowoyas attack my poor German Shepard.

ii) A big 4 X 4 in case I meet with any amorous ladies.

iii) A magnum .48 in case I meet up with young Cam.

iv) A tape recorder in case I meet with any curious cops (as evidence).

v) A smoke granade so that I can hide if confronted a group of more than one.

vi) A bag of freshly made sandwiches in case I have to take the long way home if THEY are following me.

Gotta go as I think someone is looking over my shoulder.

Comment

I believe in meeting a challenge Camo but to live as you do in a constant state of dread of what is to happen must be exhausting! Have you no friends who you could turn to "if cut off from home"? Or do you not trust anyone enough to call on them ?
                  Well, you will have to get to your friends first. It could be a several hours walk (maybe even days in rural US) if your car breaks down and you try reaching your next neighbor on foot. Even in parts of central Europe, if your car breaks down on an isolated road, you could be walking for hours till you reach the next homestead. Also, your neighbors or friends could be in the same tight fix , or you making contact could endanger them.
                  Camouflage

Comment

Well, you will have to get to your friends first. It could be a several hours walk (maybe even days in rural US) if your car breaks down and you try reaching your next neighbor on foot. Even in parts of central Europe, if your car breaks down on an isolated road, you could be walking for hours till you reach the next homestead. Also, your neighbors or friends could be in the same tight fix , or you making contact could endanger them.
                    But you are living in Ireland so.......hardly the same distances as US

Comment

But you are living in Ireland so.......hardly the same distances as US
                      True, but Ireland has her own challenges.People have died in the Dublin mountains because they went up there ill prepared.
                      Camouflage

Comment

i have to get my 2 cents in here..

in 1976/77 we had a huge deep freeze in dublin...what i now regard as a tiny bit of snow but in dublin at the time was totally unheard of...i lived up the dublin mountains at the time and willie was unable to make it home for hours...he was stuck in the snow....that incident make me within the next couple of days make up 3 survival kits... 2 for cars..one for home...

in these kits i had.....matches, flashlights, batteries, a bag of kitty litter ( to give the wheels grip on ice or snow) a blanket...gloves, extra socks, a couple of tins of food and some bottled water and a tin opener....everyone laughed at me...but unfortunately we did use them in the winter of 1978...so the laugh was premature..

here in canada..i also have a survival kit in each car...but this time it includes hotspots..(to shove in gloves to keep you warm) ..a first aid kit and medications....a thermal blanket..) a snow shovel...a larger bag of kitty litter..some flashes that go off to indicate you are where you are...and a breakdown road sign indicating you are where you are..

in the home kit ive added candles, a camping stove, and fuel....enough groceries to last a couple of days....and a radio that runs on batteries..enough medications on our prescription list and also meds and vitamins....say im daft??? well when we had the major black out here a couple of years ago....who was the most prepared person in the area hehehe..i also keep some cash available..which was lucky cos in the blackout the first things to disappear besides the internet and tv's were the atm machines lol..

i believe in always being prepared

Comment

i think you are all forgetting a vital pice of kit, jacks roll or are youse going to use doc leaves

Comment

whats them jeanie hehe

Comment

what you used to rub on nettle stings
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X