Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Poll: Do you think there should be ‘open prisons’?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: Do you think there should be ‘open prisons’?

IT WAS REVEALED today that 19 inmates of the 4,000-strong prison population are currently on the run. All of these have escaped from ‘open’ prisons or low-security prisons which are intended to help re-integrate low-risk prisoners before their release into the community.

None of the 19 currently on the run were convicted of killing a person, we are told, but the recent escape of Garda killer Martin McDermott from Loughan House open prison caused serious concern. He has since been recaptured.

Only 6 per cent of the prison population is in an open prison. Do you think we should have open prisons at all?

Source: http://www.thejournal.ie
    'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Originally posted by Rashers
    IT WAS REVEALED today that 19 inmates of the 4,000-strong prison population are currently on the run. All of these have escaped from ‘open’ prisons or low-security prisons which are intended to help re-integrate low-risk prisoners before their release into the community.

None of the 19 currently on the run were convicted of killing a person, we are told, but the recent escape of Garda killer Martin McDermott from Loughan House open prison caused serious concern. He has since been recaptured.

Only 6 per cent of the prison population is in an open prison. Do you think we should have open prisons at all?

Source: http://www.thejournal.ie

no....if the sentence in the first place, warrented a prison term.....that full term should be served....

good behavior should be expected during that term, bad behavior should result in an extension to that term......

society has a duty to protect the innocent.........it should have no obligation to concern itself about the future of those released.....
    Here Rex!!!...Here Rex!!!.....Wuff!!!....... Wuff!!!

Comment

I suppose it's the way you see it, but I say no, if you do something to warrent a prison sentence you should serve that time and I hate this thing where someone gets sent down for say 4 years and is out in 2 what that teaches you is, do what you like but you only serve half the time..stupid.
      You got to have a twinkle in your wrinkle.

Comment

Originally posted by quinner View Post
        no....if the sentence in the first place, warrented a prison term.....that full term should be served....

good behavior should be expected during that term, bad behavior should result in an extension to that term......

society has a duty to protect the innocent.........it should have no obligation to concern itself about the future of those released.....
        I concurr with that quinner. I also think that we should reconsider some of the old forms of punishments.
        I google because I'm not young enough to know everything.
        Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit

Comment

Originally posted by jembo View Post
          I concurr with that quinner. I also think that we should reconsider some of the old forms of punishments.
          yes, maybe jembo........the first thing is that inmates should earn their keep....or if appropriate....pay for their own keep..............

i think that no entrtainment should be allowed........except listen to the radio a couple of hours at weekends.......programmes to be determined by government......

books should be confined to ...the koran, bible, tora etc........

all efforts should be concentrated to one aim....to protect society.....that is the obligation the law has.............

and victims.....should be allowed to have a conference with judges.....before sentence is passed.....and should have a right to appeal that sentence.....
          but only in an upward direction......

Comment

yes, maybe jembo........the first thing is that inmates should earn their keep....or if appropriate....pay for their own keep..............

i think that no entrtainment should be allowed........except listen to the radio a couple of hours at weekends.......programmes to be determined by government......

books should be confined to ...the koran, bible, tora etc........

all efforts should be concentrated to one aim....to protect society.....that is the obligation the law has.............

and victims.....should be allowed to have a conference with judges.....before sentence is passed.....and should have a right to appeal that sentence.....
            but only in an upward direction......

all criminal justice laws......should have loophole clauses...ie, they should be allowed to be revised by a straigt and immediate vote by parliament....and be retrospective.....

prisons should be built and funded by seizing the proceeds of the criminals.....

punishment of criminals for commiting the same type of crime when released....should be doubled...ie, 2 years....4 years...8 years etc....

Comment

I have to say quinner that you are talking my language

Comment

I have to say quinner that you are talking my language
                thank you jembo.....but only you are listening..........

Comment

thank you jembo.....but only you are listening..........
                  seems a bit like that.

Comment

seems a bit like that.

never mind......all the lawyers would be out of business....we can't have that...lol

Comment

I vote NO ..... In My opinion there should be No Television or Radio in Prisons.... No Family Visits at ALL .... Any Prisoner that has been sentenced should serve out the Full Term... No time off for so called Good Behaviour, Time should be added on to the end of the sentence should any prisoner cause problems.

Some time ago I can remember when a sentence was passed on a Prisoner in Spain, it would include a Day. EG:- 5 Years and a Day...
                      The Prisoner would never know when that Day would come, I think it was the Prison Governor who would decide it.

Comment

i voted no....full sentence should be served......25 years for murder and time off for good behavior after serving 10.....nopes doesnt cut it for me..

a lady in the us and i use that word sparingly drowned her 5 kids in the bathroom....shes now apparently cured...after a couple of years and is being allowed sundays out to go to church....pity the poor kids are dead or they could go too..

Comment

Originally posted by Mykidsmom View Post
                          i voted no....full sentence should be served......25 years for murder and time off for good behavior after serving 10.....nopes doesnt cut it for me..

a lady in the us and i use that word sparingly drowned her 5 kids in the bathroom....shes now apparently cured...after a couple of years and is being allowed sundays out to go to church....pity the poor kids are dead or they could go too..

cured they say.........there are a lot of people earning a great living. just because we all put up with these idiots...and crinimals.....

Comment

Convicted criminals should lose all human rights. At the moment from what I hear the inmates in Irish prisons live better than I do.

I remember a time, before the tree hugging brigade started looking for prisoners rights, judges could sentence you to calendar months or years. This meant if you were sentenced to 3 months on the 5th of march you didn't get out until the 6th of june... no such thing as early releases.

Anyone convicted of an offence which included violence against a person should be given special status.... if a smoker perhaps allowed one a day.... one meal a day, any more than that to be supplied cooked by the prisoner's family.

Murderers should serve life behind bars... we are hearing of murderers being released often after 2 years.

The sentencing and prison system in this country is far too lenient.
                            'Never look down on a person unless you're helping them up'.

Comment

Originally posted by Rashers View Post
                              Convicted criminals should lose all human rights. At the moment from what I hear the inmates in Irish prisons live better than I do.

I remember a time, before the tree hugging brigade started looking for prisoners rights, judges could sentence you to calendar months or years. This meant if you were sentenced to 3 months on the 5th of march you didn't get out until the 6th of june... no such thing as early releases.

Anyone convicted of an offence which included violence against a person should be given special status.... if a smoker perhaps allowed one a day.... one meal a day, any more than that to be supplied cooked by the prisoner's family.

Murderers should serve life behind bars... we are hearing of murderers being released often after 2 years.

The sentencing and prison system in this country is far too lenient.

yes rashers.......sentencing should serve two purposes......prevention of recurrence....and punishment, as a deterrant.

in the case of murder........prevention has to be for life........

lessor offences....detterence is the important thing......

crime does not pay...should mean just that......but it does pay, the criminal and the lawyers gain so much from crime.....they will never stop.....the goose that lays the golden egg, will always be fed.....

lawyers make laws.....lawyers usually judge in law cases.....that must stop...

laws should be made by outside bodies....independant of all....and consisting of at least...50% victims...or persons appointed by them.......

the whole system stinks.......it is an industry...that is running wild with people right to be safe, AND HAVE A DECENT LIFE....one that they pay for....

the present law organisation....thinks it has a right to exist....it hasn't....

Comment

Working...
                              X